Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Ever Ship Rims Before?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Arrowood Rod & Kustom, Mar 8, 2010.

1. I have to ship out 4 rims today they are Ford 15x5.5's and I'm trying to figure out the best way to ship them and the cheapest way, UPS is basically my option here in town so just wondering how you guys would package them and how much you think it will cost...I cant seem to find any boxes that will work

I'm shipping from Michigan to New Mexico, I charged him $80 shipping..is that about right or should I have charged more?

picts will help too

thanks!

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

You should be able to ship them for around that price. Go to the local wheel shop. They will have boxes stacked everywhere and at least around here, they are happy to give away 4 of them.

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

it cost me around 85 to have some 15-8 aluminum rims for my truck to get shipped from florida to california. i think your ok

4. I wish we had a wheel shop around here but unforentally the nearest one is 50 minutes away..kinda sucks living in a small town

my dad suggested putting cardboard circle cut out on each side of the rim to protect the rim and then wrap it in saran wrap and tape and ship all 4 seperate..not sure if that'll work or if that'd be cheapest way though

5. 5window

5window

That sounds about right. There are billions of cardboard boxes for the asking out there-we have to pay to have ours hauled away to recycle. You should look into shipping more than one rim in a box or banding the individual wheel boxes together since one large box may be less expensive to ship than 2,3 or 4 individual boxes. Often there is a "piece" fee as well as the weight charges.

6. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

You have a greyhound terminal near you? Cheap and easy:)

7. 5window

5window

Plywood, not cardboard on the ends, band all 4 together, use a $1 blue tarp instead of "Saran wrap" and ship in one piece. But boxes would be better. Surely somewhere in your small town somebody will give you appropriately shaped boxes?

8. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

U haul places have good boxes cheap.or behind any store you can find em,,.and shipping USPS is cheap,,1 wheel per box,,about $20 each,,I find it better to ship wheels in singles,,as less weight,,therefore ,,less chance or excuses for it getting dropped and damages,,also just pad out the box make a cardboard liner,,not rocket science

9. Wicked50

Wicked50

Mine were shipped packaged indvidually

10. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

You probably should have checked on shipping BEFORE quoting the guy, that's a good way to get burned...most shipping companies, (FedEx, UPS, etc.), won't take a package with just plastic on it, it screws up their conveyor's in the warehouse...it need's to be in a box of some sort...

...try a moving company like U-Haul or Penske for boxes, or wait until garbage day and cruise your neighborhood...

...might look at Greyhound Bus for shipping too...they're usually alot cheaper, with the catch being, the customer has to pick up his wheels at the bus station...

...two wheels per box shouldn't be too heavy, just pack 'em tight so they don't move around inside and destroy the box...

11. It was cheaper for me to ship individual but it was still around 25 a rim.

12. I have shipped also, one in each box is the way to go.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I have not been able to find wheel boxes easily. Weigh them and get the size of the boxes. I sold some 32 rims a few years ago and just guessed at the shipping to the west coast. I ended up clearing about 20 bucks on 4 18" rims. The shipping ate up everything else. They are heavy. It was my mistake but I don't try to sell wheels because of the shipping costs. CYA before you commit.

I've never tried Greyhound but Fed Ex has always beat UPS on costs.

14. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I have found the local body shops a good source of large boxes. It depends on how wide the rims are as to how I ship. If they are narrow I stack two back to back and duct tape them together (one strip around the mated rim edges holds them together), then box them. Wider than about 7" and I ship individualy. Steel wheels are usually around $25 each, Aluminum $18-20. Although I have a pair of 10" wide steel wheels that were $40 each to ship. (killed the deal) When packing anything remember to get the box as close to the dimension of the shipped item as possible. You pay extra for a larger box, same weight. Also, you will want to box them, there is a fee for odd shaped packages.
    Hope that helps.

15. went around town to every body shop and finally found some boxes...it ended up costing $101.54 to ship them, guess I should have priced it out first before I shipped...hopefully the guy will be willing to cough up $20 more

thanks for all the help!

16. kustombypook

kustombypook

Doubtful he will cough up the extra money. That's on you. It's always best to have the item to ship already boxed up so you can get a total on your shipping BEFORE you give a quote.

17. yeah good call, usually I end up charging too much for shipping and making money off it, I just based my quote on what I saw on ebay how much others were charging and figured it must be about right...probably will stick to shipping smaller items from now on

18. wvenfield

wvenfield

Just saying......when I quote someone a price, that's what they pay whether I got my quote right or not.

19. 117harv

117harv

I just shipped two sets of 16 inch steel rims to fellow HAMBERS, picked up some boxes from u haul. The u haul boxes are just the right size, and have enough room inside to double or triple the cardboard for added security. I ship two wheels per box and run duct tape around the middle where the two wheels meet,several times.

I have shipped this way several times and it works well. I ship parcel post as it is the most cost effective, albeit abit slow.

20. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Ditto that. Next time, you'll get your quote right.

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Rim is the first one...
    wheels are the second ones

Attached Files:

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

just messin with ya..

sounda about right..are they aluminum or steel?

I pack mine in a box that is at least a few inches bigger then the wheels , and i put 2" foam around them in the box,, make um fit tight..for the aluminum or Mag...the steel ones i just pack em well with paper
    them UPS drivers like jim carey do exist

I try to ship em in the same box they came in, i try to keep mine as best i can

you can also go on line and see the rates for different sized boxes and weights, I use a bathroom scale and their mesurements on the UPS site to get a rate before i quote it to the buyer

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  23. $20 to 30 each is my experience. The UPS Store is expensive. I use USPS where possible.

24. 5window

5window

Actually, I'd call both of those wheels. Rims don't have centers or spokes.

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yeah , i tried to find just a rim but couldnt that fast, so i used the one that kinda excentuated it in the picture, it kinda jumps out at ya

i was in a hurry to be a smart ass, and thats what happens,,I did a shitty job at it...lol

26. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

I shipped wire wheels this way, if they aren't very heavy wrap two together.shrink wrap, and tape, no problem, Dave

27. 5window

5window

Yeah,but my daddy always told me it was better to be fast than half-fast.
    Too bad I never listened.

28. Blood plasma donation center here throws away dozens of boxes every day that are the perfect size for most steel wheels.

I usually glue and band two boxes together. Two boxes ship cheaper than four and less than one overweight premium box.

Any covering other than cardboard incurs a special fee.

29. Drive Em

Drive Em

I have shipped dozens of wheels that I sold on Ebay the last few years. I use the Office Depot 18" x 18" x 18" box for about $3.00 a piece, available almost anywhere. I ship them two at a time in that box via UPS ground, and they have never lost or dmaged one yet. Pack them good with lots of newspaper.

30. the dude I sold the wheels too was super nice and sent me the $20 today to make up for the shipping, guess sometimes you get lucky