Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another Project...1961 Econoline Van...I Must Be An Idiot!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BloodyKnuckles, Mar 7, 2010.

1. So, I saw a friend of mine a few weeks ago and we got to talking about different old cars and I mentioned the early Econoline vans. He procedes to tell me that he knows where one is and he will get it. I didn't think anything about it until he calls me and tells me to swing by his place to check it out. I get to his house and he tells me to get in the truck. We drive over his property to a barn that is way out in the field. We get out of the truck and what do I see? A well neglected 1961 Econoline van.

It was beautiful (..in my little mind..). It had a rather large bail of hay that at some point fell over and rested on the side of the van. When I saw it I knew I had to have it.

Well today we went to pick it up. I planned on unearthing it from the barn but my friend already did the hard work for us and brought it up to his house.

Here is what I saw when I got there;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a beaut! Huh??

Anyway, It is 100% complete. It has been sitting since around 1982. It has so much dust, wasp and other animal nests all through it but it is in great shape. It has no rust other than surface on the outside. It rolls and steers just fine. It has only 1 dent that is actually creased and a few that I already popped out. The seats are torn.

Since I was a little kid I have always wanted a van like this; Ford, Chevy, Dodge or Jeep. I never really thought I would end up with one but when I saw this one I knew it was meant to be.

Now, I know absolutely nothing about these things. It has a 6 cylinder which from a little bit of reasearch I did it could be a 144 which is a whopping 85, yes, 85 HP. It has a super small rear axle that has a rear removable cover. I hooked up a battery and check for something. I found that the solenoid clicks but the starter does not. The lights work but the turn signals don't. The wipers and the heater will not turn on.

As of right now I believe the engine is stuck. I plan on removing the plugs and pouring a bit of oil in each cylinder. Hopefully that will un-stick it.

I have no real plans for this other than to get it running and driving and to just enjoy it for what it is for now. I have a list of projects that are so close to completion I can't even think of a full blown project on this one.

If anyone could shed some light on reference materials or web links that they would recommend it would be greatly appreciated.

So with all that being said, am I an Idiot?

BloodyKnuckles

2. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

nope , I like it!

3. inliner54

inliner54

all the info you need is right here on the HAMB. good luck with your project.

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

ok make room i dig it to lol lay on some paint and some wheels and drive it

5. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I'm thinking Mystery Machine dude! :cool:

6. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

I'm lazy tonight....didn't read your stuff....but I think your over your head on this and I will pick it up tomorrow. No need for you to pay me. I'll do it for free.

Kidd'n! Great buy...love these trucks. Wrapped one around a pole in the winter when the engine block that I had for weight rolled over when I was cruis'n around a turn and it threw the back end of the van around and I over corrected into a pole.

Early drifting!

Let me tell 'ya 'bout the time, in the back one night, Jody lost her......oh I'm ramblin'...

Good luck!!!!

7. Blam

Blam

I LOVE these things!! i so badly want an Econoline or an A100. A while back i had one all lined up for $500 with a running motor!! i told the dude i'd take it sight unseen, by the end of the week when i was able to get out there, he had changed his mind!
    Congratulations on the new bus.

8. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Great little truck. 144 ci, 85 Hp. The things are really cool basic transportation. The tranny linkage is always problematic, and the heater and wiper motors have been sitting a long time. Pull them and clean and oil the end bushings. They'll usually come around. The fuses could also be blown because of this. Check em-there's oly about 4 fuses altogether ( located on the headlight switch.).. Happy motoring.

9. Parts Man

Parts Man

I may have some shag carpet lying around.....

10. Chaz, You're the shit! Thanks for the info!!

Everyone else thanks for the vote of confidence.

BloodyKnuckles

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

These things may start a trend, Bad Bob posted photos of a great one at the Pamona swap today. My first real job after lawn cutting was driving one of these vans in high school delivering groceries for a local market back in '68. If a rust free one was available around here I'd buy it.

12. the engine is the same as in Falcons. Some vans actually had Falcon badges on them.
    If your motor is bad, I'm sure you could find another fairly cheap and easily.

Cool find. The van I was going to get (its yours man, its not going anywhere) got scrapped. I guess it went somewhere..

13. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Had one. Same year same color. Made two round trips across US in 70/71. Not one problem. After I got rid of it I regretted it but could never run it down to get it back. Thats ones not it , mine had a couple of crank out windows added. Nice find.

14. I was thinking about the engine. I have a 400M that runs great that I was wondering if it would fit in that tiny engine bay. I'll have to do some measureing.

Thanks again guys.

BloodyKnuckles

15. screwball

screwball

have you been to the Econoline thread yet.

16. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I saw you Saturday morning, something in my head said " Ron looks like an idiot", but I didn't have a clue as to why that passed through my mind. Thanks for the explanation. :rolleyes: vic

17. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

A 302 will fit with a shoehorn, but maybe not a 400M. If you put in a 302, an AOD would be useful too, and you may need to do a rear end swap.

18. rustyhood

rustyhood

The memories this just brought back.......I need to go see what the wife is doing!

19. Artie B

Artie B

I would stay with a 6 cyl....you can find 200's from early 70's mavericks very cheap. They are damn near indestructable and there are many performance parts avail for some extra ponies. Good find!!

20. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Will has a new one that he is taking to the beach. He just stuck in a 200 from a mustang. Just what you need, another project. At least you won't have to worry about putting side windows back in!

Workvan!

21. Hellfish

Hellfish

Yep, 144ci. A little later and it might have had a 170ci. 1965-67 had an optional 240ci. You have a 7" rear axle. Yes, 7". It's puny, but will hold up to a 144 or 170 just fine.

You can get some great info here, and a lot more on the OldEconolines or EconosRUs Yahoo groups.

The vans with Falcon trim were Falcon vans... a higher trim level for passenger vans only.

If you had a 65-67, a 289 or 302 would fit without too much trouble. A 351W would fit with a little more difficulty. BUT, you have a 61-64. TONS of work to fit a v8, or even a bigger 6 (240/300). Basically you'll need to swap crossmembers, get a new trans, driveshaft and rear end. Get a new radiator, doghouse and throttle cable and linkage set up and on and on. This has all been covered before. The easiest swap you could make with maximum horsepower would be a 200 inline 6. Anything else will be major fabrication and parts hunting work.

That's a GREAT van in really good shape! I wish mine only had a few dents. I'll take dents over giant rust holes any day. :)

22. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Great find! I'd love to have one of those to haul my bikes. I wish I could find someone with one of those that wants a '64 Comet.

23. Always room for one more project, if I got my hands on one the 300 6 would go in, with a 5 speed. There still COOL!!! I am a retired Tel Man, drove one for years.

24. BEAR

BEAR

thats a cool ride

25. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Pour Marvel Mystery Oil or ATF(Dexron/Mercon) or a 50/50 mix of the two, about 2 tablespoons, into the cylinders through the spark plug holes, not just plain oil. Let sit a day or two. Try to turn over by hand. If it works and turns all the way over and again by hand, hook up the battery, pour in a little gas and fire it up, he said optimistically.

26. Thanks alot for all that info. I'm already on the hunt for a 200. I hope I can get the 144 running first though.
    Thanks again.

I actually picked up some Marvel's today on my way home. I planned to do exactly like you said this evening but it came and went. I checked the oil and it didn't look too bad for 30 year old shit.

I think I know the answer to this one but even if I get it to turn over what about the rust that has formed on vital internals? Won't it just wipe out some stuff or am I just thinking too much??

Thanks again to all of you for the replies. I'm glad to bring back some memories.

BloodyKnuckles

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I thought this was a Hot Rod and Custom message board so unless that thing is going to be a wheel stander with a 392 out back get it off the board!!!

Just kidding, looks like a nice score. Didn't you have a '61 dodge no wait it was an olds......no that's not it, I forgot now. What was it that you were working on? Focus!!!!!!!!

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh snap!!! Uncle Vic is at again!!!!!

I thought you said you were getting a '51 Merc.....

I think you should take the 401 out of the other car and run it in this. Cut your losses on that car while you can and focus on this thing. Nah, that's bad advice. Nevermind I said that. I do like it though!!! Clean it and flip it!

29. I aint fixin the roof!!!

30. hotdamn

hotdamn

well as long as you dont build a street freak, uh I mean gasser out of it you should be good!!!! :)

seriously,
    you are a lucky lil fucker my man...

congrats on a sweet find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!