Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody dealing with physical ailments delaying your project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

I have the same thing that you have Terd!! Judging by your description I haven't had as much pain with it as you have thought. I have dealt with it since my late teens. (I am currently 46). But I have had three surguries due to it. The first was an anterior and posterior spinal fusion, or in simple terms the docter cut me in two, straightened my back and put me back together.:eek: This was done to help my posture as the AS and really bent my spine forward. Also I have had both hips replaced because of the degeneration caused by the AS.

Luckily it hasn't slowed me down a real bunch. I have been turning wrenches most of my life for a living and this year marks 9 years of having my own shop. So while the stiffness and lack of mobilty in my back and neck really sucks, for the most part I feel I get around pretty good considering.

2. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Wow! Two hip replacements already. Sorry to hear that. For me, besides the pain, the worst part is the lack of sleep. I'm sure you are all too familiar. I deal with the pain pretty well, but the lack of sleep makes me crazy irritable sometimes. Glad you can get around and be your own boss. It's good when you can find something your body can put up with and you enjoy doing it too.

3. chopt49

chopt49

I got a bad back and ulnar nerve damage in my left arm after head-on crash few yrs back. Makes it tuff to work long stints in the garage, the 'ol girl will get done tho. Just happy to be alive and walking. --- I sound old, and I am just 38...sad.

4. Is getting old a physical ailment?:eek::)

5. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Growing old ain't for sissy's!!!!

6. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Crap,I just remembered something I forgot in my other post,I broke both clavicles on top of all my other injuries. I also get tremors(the shakes),especially in my hands,but I can control that sort of.

7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I've started having this problem,sucks, I'm used to doing small electronic work as a hobby, It does concern me though due to the fact that people of Scandinavian decent have a higher rate of Parkinson's. It's only my right hand not my left, I'm going to try and eliminate caffeine from my diet, you would be surprised how many products it's in. Try this and see if it helps you, google what products contain caffeine. some people become sensitive to even small amounts.

8. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

here's a list of some products that contain it. Do you take Excedrin for your pain? I was really surprised that one pill of it has more caffeine then NoDoze, it looks like a lot of pain medicines contain it, makes sense , if you are in a lot of pain,take a pain reliever, maby drink a cup of coffee of two, and all of the sudden you have a lot of caffeine in your system and not realize it. two excedrin, plus two cups of coffee would give anyone the shakes. about 480 mg of it, average intake is 240 mg a day http://wellness.uwsp.edu/medinfo/handouts/LAs/Caffeine.pdf :mad:

9. I guess I'll jump in here and add to the misery and pain post,lol.
    In February 07 I broke my back in a construction related accident, it wasn't till May 1 of 07 that I was able to have the surgery to fix it. I lived on pain meds for the 2 months prior to the operation and for several months after.

Seems the more I took the more I needed, it became a game of which pills to take based on how I was feeling each day, as some of you know, pain meds slow down your metabolism and things start "backing up" if you know what I mean.

After fighting the pain for so long, I had to rethink my whole routine, now I "walk off my pain" if you will. I realized that my body had taken over my mind and I had to take it back or I would never get past the pain.

Not to say it doesn't hurt anymore, I just deal with it in a different way, and occasional Ibuprofen works and the proper exercise helps a lot.
    Toughest times for me is when it's cold, the 4 pins, 2rods and 2 plates seem to get cold and being tied to my bones it just makes me cold all over sometimes.

Arthritis has started to set in and sometimes I just ache all over.
    It's hell getting older but what can you do, I just try to figure away to make things happen, "Mind over matter."

10. WrenchKitten

WrenchKitten

I get that, too. I'll be 32 in May and my body is way older than that.

*Diagnosed at 16 with End Stage Renal Disease. [kidney failure.]
    *Dialysis several years.
    *Survived and recovered 100% from a stroke in early 2000.
    *Kidney transplant late 2003.
    *Diagnosed with heart disease and got a stent and angioplasty in 2005.
    *Hip and leg pain if I'm on my feet too much. Will need hip replacement in 10-15 years due to avascular necrosis from transplant meds.
    *Gastroparesis. [Stomach doesn't digest as quickly as it should.]
    *Tumors removed from my upper and lower jaw over the years.
    *Dent and scars in my legs from a horse and carriage wreck where I got ran over and dragged down the road. Post Traumatic Stress from that.

I work full time and go to school, so I guess it doesn't really slow me down. I just always have to keep my health in mind. Some days its tough to get in the garage after work. I look at the truck and know there are dinky little things I should be doing or cleaning and just don't have the energy.

But other days, that little truck and the friends I've made are what keeps me going.

So it all works out. :)

11. rustyhood

rustyhood

For some that I have read here, we have alot in common that brought our ailments to where they are today.Through life thinking we were a human forklift, porta power, hands used as a sledge hammer just to mention a few. Now having 2 bulged discs in my back, both knees operated on, 3 on right knee and 1 on left that made them worse. Left hand little finger numb all the time and weakend vision. All that being said, I have to be careful in every move I make. When I bend the wrong way Im down for a few days. I am thankful that I dont have to deal what so many of you deal with everyday, but I refuse to let life pass me by without doing the things I love to do. I have great friends and neighbors that help me in the garage without me even asking. I deal with pain all the time, I just got a 41 ford panel body,this will be my last build. With the help from the good Lord and great friends I will finish it. To all of you from brain tumors and severe ailments I bow to you (bad back and all) for you are truley an inspiration for guy's like me. May the good Lord watch over us all!Thanks for sharing.

12. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

how are you doing as far as the stroke any after effects? in late 95 they believe I suffered one and i also almost 100 percent recovered. I still have some memory problems and sometimes I get a bit confused and my balance is off. could have been a lot worse, woke up one night knew something was wrong, couldn't move the entire left side of my body, dragged myself to my phone by the bed and was able to push 911 and wait for the paramedics to show up, had to break down the door. everything got a bit fuzzy after that. I refused to let it get me down though.

13. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

I have a serious case of lead in my ass.

14. Sanford Graham

Sanford Graham

It ain't no fun is it,when you turn too look at something and the room spin's,or look up , almost make's ya puke,work a little,break out in cold sweats ( I hate being cold) last three years has been fun,one thing after another.But I keep thinking about my 49 Coupe and my 51 ford sedan (chopped 3 ") Sometime's weeks go by,and then I managed too do a little, got my hood corner's rounded a little bit ago, then spent more time down and out,more meds. It is frustrating at best, but I ain't giving up, do what I can, I'm thankful of what i got, wish us all could be well and fit.. happy motorin hang in their Sandy

15. Warpath

Warpath
    from Motor City

Antibiotics are hard on your liver too. I regularly took ibuprofen for years for my AS (arthritis) and Alieve (naproxen sodium) for years before that. I got a nasal infection last spring and took some amoxicillin plus either ibuprofen or tylenol to control the fever. My liver got pissed. I still have it. It's on the mend. But, I probably shouldn't drink ever again. It's easy not to drink though. Turning yellow motivates you to change your life.

16. WrenchKitten

WrenchKitten

I was working on the Duster with my brother, went in to blow my nose and my hand cramped up...without the pain. I don't know how it occurred to me that something was terribly wrong, but by the time I got upstairs to tell my mom, my speech was being affected. She called the nurse at the dialysis clinic and I tried to explain what was happening, but she couldn't understand me. We loaded up and carried me to the ER.

I lost my right arm from my shoulder down, it affected my speech to the point I really had to concentrate to make my mouth work. Eating was difficult and I had *some* weakness in my right leg. They called it a TIA I think, and determined it was from birth control pills.

I do have trouble focusing and remembering things. But it's hard to tell if it's from the stroke or my laundry list of meds and other ailments.

It's something I've grown used to. Its hard for me to concentrate and stay on one subject, like I can't sit here and read the Hamb for hours, after reading a few threads I move on and I can't really remember what I just read. Unless I go over something for awhile and do it day after day, I can't remember it. I had a hard time learning Microstation [like AutoCAD] because I didn't use it every day and couldn't remember a week later the proper order of steps to make a drawing.

So yeah, I guess I have trouble with long term memory. Much of my child hood I've forgotten because of being sick. Like I said, I don't know if its the stroke or the kidney failure.

I went to PT for about 3 months, that's how long it took to get my hand back working properly where I could use it. Took even longer to get control of it so my hand writing looked like it used to. I used to draw, but since the stroke, I haven't drawn much of anything.

Anyhow, I ramble too much.

17. I just keep plugging along. Try to divide my projects into bite sized little projects and whenever possible I get the Raven to come by for garage time when I have heavy lifting to do.
    If he isn't available the wife helps and then we spend a week licking our wounds together.

Edit damnit:

One other thing I have discovered that codien has medicinal purposes. I always thought it was created for recreation until the last about 10 or 15 years.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  18. Abone29

Abone29

My father had severe arthritis in his back and legs.About 1998 his doctor put him on Celebrex.He called me one day and told me he was passing blood in his stool.I took him to the hospital and they put a tube down his nose and immediately started pulling up bright red blood,a sure sign of a bleeder.The gastro Doc then put the scope down his nose with a cauterising tip.A few min. later he came out and told me that dad had a bleeder in his stomach as big as your little finger.He said that when he got down there he needed a much bigger cauterising tip.By the time he got the second tube down he came out and told me that dads blood pressure was 80 over 50 and that if I had anything to say to him say it now.I went in and told him to hang tough and the doc ran me out.They had bags of whole blood and saline running wide open in him trying to get fluids back in.His color was an ashey grey.As soon as they got the bleeder cauterised his color started coming back and blood pressure started coming up.He was literally minutes away from death.So,any of you guys taking Celebrex or any other drugs for arthritis be very careful cause they can kill you.

19. 3X_Racer

3X_Racer

Shoot, like others, my problems don't seem like much compared to some of yall :eek: I've got the bad knee - hyper-mobile patella, that has caused me to blow out my right knee 3x in my late teens (happened about annually too!) and then an X-Acto knife wound less than an inch above my right knee from working on a scale model 40 Ford panel (just had to chop the top!!...). About a year after the wound, my knee started freezing up if left bent too long, etc. Movies? Not so much anymore. Have to keep my leg as straight as possible most of the time. Only OTC meds I've found to work for me is Tylenol Arthritis or alcohol.

Then there's insomnia, tremors like others - hands shake too much for small detail work. Never even bothered trying to stripe, it'd probably look more like squiggles, haha. Everything gets stiff all the time, I'm constantly 'cracking' joints - back, neck, knees, jaw, fingers, wrists, ankles - stuff most people don't even know can be cracked...

Like several others, I've also got the lazyitis too :rolleyes: It's hell getting old at only 25! Hittin' the whopping 26 next month

20. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

I've been reading all these posts and had one person with my problem.they finally figured out whats wrong with me. I would be working and would not be able to move a finger or my arm would go numb or I couldnt talk or couldnt swallow. I have what shadetreerodder has [myasathenia gravos] Its a problem with the nerve endings where they fasten to the muscles are blocked by to much protein. Three weeks ago they put me on medication and it seems to help. Also I've been on mobic for about 5 years for artheritos and no bad side effects. when I get where I cant do anything I have moved my computer to the shop and I get my fix on the hamb. I'm about to finish my wifes 51 ford and am about to stsrt on my grandsons 61 chevy pickup times running out but its better then the alturnitive

21. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

Well, not as bad as most, but besides living my first 30 yrs like an idiot, i settled down with my first love. She's a great gal, but expects me to provide a stable home and make a mortage. in these time's of want&woe my business is down. this almost seems like a competitive "pity party" Do what you can and enjoy every minute of it! everyday above ground beats the hell outta the alternative!

22. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Just had my spine fused after a 17 year old herniated disc in my lower back caused irreversable nerve damage in my right leg. No when I lay down or sit for longer than 20 minutes my leg goes numb. Could be worse so I am thankful I can still walk under my own power. Sucks being in a fog from the meds all the time. Can't sleep much anymore either.

23. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I can say from personal experience that the lack of sleep thing is waaaaay harder to deal with than the pain thing. Not getting enough sleep makes you crazy and cranky in a lot of ways. Good luck and take care!

24. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

The doctors have had me try at least 5 different meds to get me to sleep but all make me feel crapier than when I don't get any sleep, 6 of one, half a dozen of another! It's been three years and I can count how many "good" night sleeps I have had on one hand.
    Oh well, more time for the garage and the kids :)

25. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I'm in the same kind of boat. They've tried all the major prescription sleep aids and they all seem to have the opposite effects. The only good nights sleep I've had in 6 years now was when I was in the hospital with a kidney stone and they pumped me full of demerol and morphine. I slept for about 10 hours straight that day, lol. :D Otherwise, it's no more than four hours at a night.

26. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Broke my right foot a couple of weeks ago, kept walking on it, must of stepped on something else wrong cause I can't walk on it anymore. 4 hrs in the urgi-care to tell me yea it's broke. they gave me pain pills and a special shoe, still can't walk on it. Right shoulder is so bad can't use a crutch or a cane. If it was my left foot I'd be in the shop now.

27. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

August 12/07, I was on my way home from work. I live in Bracebridge, and work as a Public School Principle, in Toronto. A 100 mi. commute. It was 6:15 pm, I was going threw the lights at on Steeles Ave At Keele St. That was the last thing I remember. A Tri Axle Dump Truck ran the red light, hitting my 2006 F150 broadside. My injuries were quite extensive. I was pinned in the truck for 45 minutes, bleeding from my head and left leg. When the EMS got me to the Hospital, my vital signs were weak. They needed to perform immediate brain surgery to relieve pressure. It was 72 hours before they could operate on my other injuries, while they fought to stabilize me. I've since had 5 operations on my left hand, arm, and shoulder. My Hand and Wrist are useless. My elbow and shoulder work alright, but not great. The worst was, after 3 operations on my left leg, it could not be fixed. the Doctors did all they could, but had to amputate it 6" above the knee. I have surprised the Doctor, and my wife. My recovery was fast in their opinion (forever in mine). My head injury is still a little bit of a problem. I have terrible headaches, along with memory loss. Not having the use of my left hand, meant the I couldn't use crutches. That meant that I needed to use a wheelchair. But once I got this F@%#in peg leg it only took 3 months for me to learn to walk. I'm still not real good at it, and I still use the wheel chair when I'm working,or going a long distance. I am depending on it less and less. I have set backs, like in November, I had to go for detox, for a pain pill dependency. I kicked them. Now its nothing stronger then Advil. I have problems with depression. My wife, Daughters, and my Best friend, Newt, have been keeping me up and going. I was forced by the School Board to retire, So I treat my shop as my job. I cant do near as much as i used to, But I have the greatest friends in the world. They are there every weekend and some week nights helping me. I have offered to pay them. They wont take a dime. I'll get even with the bastards. I don't want anyones pity, I just want people to understand, I'm not the same man I once was.

28. slammed

slammed

Had a wisdom tooth cut out mid Jan., bad infection, ect. Took 4 week's before feeling 'good came back. With a month of asprin/pain pill's was flushed from my system I felt my old (49) body. Y'all in yer 60's and up are tough living that long. Period.

29. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Hmmm...I don't get a "pity party" out of it at all.
    I just thought it was supposed to engender empathy, and boost folks morale, in the face of opposition...
    To galvanize some people who might need a bit of extra-motivation, due to circumstances beyond their control.

I guess it depends on your point of view.
    But, of course...if you DON'T have anything really wrong ( yet...) with you, I suppose empathy is impossible...

30. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I'm fucked up,but I got money and friends so it ain't that hard to realise my dreams.To those that keep on without those luxuries,My hats off to all o' ya.
    keep on
    Paul