Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pantograph no match for lazer beam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anchorboy46, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Geemeny Christmas!! I always thought I was pretty good with my pantograph and either oxy/ace or my new Plasma cutter (thermoguard 650). It will cut up to 5/8ths mild steel on just compressed air.
    But lo and behold, I can't hold a candle to these new lazer beam guys! I can get pretty close, and my edges look good, but that new lazer is outasight! They are within plus or minus .005". Wow!
    And their prices are really good too! Good goin' guys! My hat goes off to you! Guess it's time to retire..Mikey

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Mikey. May I ask...what do you mean by "the prices are good"? You mean the product produced with laser is less expensive because of time and labor savings? You weren't referring to the price of a "home laser cutting system" were you? In other words, we're not ready to replace our plasma cutters with laser, are we? Or are we?

Those tolerances are certainly impressive. Kinda futuristic.

3. Ruiner

Ruiner

I'll tell you what, I just had a part handed to me at work that was flame cut 1/2" plate on an ancient pantograph...I had to throw it on the lathe and bore a hole and some other work, and damn it all if that thing wasn't within .009 thousandths all the way around...I'll take those tolerances all day long for the cheaper price of flame cut parts...laser and waterjet cut parts are nice and all, but most times I don't need that kind of accuracy for my job or my hot rods...

Tuck likes this.

4. oldpaint

oldpaint

Traditional rods should be built with a gas torch and a arc welder!:rolleyes:

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I used to take great pride in getting accurate parts using a torch by hand following soap stone marks from cardboard patterns.:D

I know you guys are talking about multiple parts for production work. I'm just an old fool that thinks modern machinery takes some of the hands on craftsmanship out of it. The talent is in the computer programing and not the actual parts generating process. silly I know.

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I'm with tommy,
    I pride myslef in being able to make do with what I have too

but still I do dig what's out there now,
    but I'd love to have a scanner and 3d printer to help make patterns to recast some old speed equipment
    or any number of cool gizmos they got now

7. noboD

noboD

Anchorboy, I understand where you're coming from. We get stuff lasered at work and it's perfect and really CHEAP. No cleanup, no sharp edges, no distortion. It's light years ahead of a torch, pun inteneded.

8. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

some guys just WANT to live in the stone-age...

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You've got me pegged.:D

10. The guys I'm referring to is Pops29 out of the HAMB roladex... Ryan knows these guys.He has a shop out of Turlock,Ca. known as D and D. There work is flawless and can keep the price down on a per job basis.
    It's this type of high Technology that is really,really kool.
    Yes, I know it takes away from the "hands laid on" type of deal. But heck, IF we can make our Hot Rods BETTER than a store bought new car, isn't that great? I wouldnt give you two cents for a NEW daily driver. I wouldnt be caught dead in an IZUZU.
    But if we can make chassis T,Model A,Model B,32-34,40-41, with accuracy and strength with our welds in high quality,x-ray spec, and our cutting skills as high as D and D 's lazer- What's wrong with that? I really respect those guys. They took the inniative to invest big dollars in some rightous gear to give ME a quality part for a reasonable price. Wow! I'm stoked! Mikey

11. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

We have cnc plasma, and it kicks pantograph's butt, as much as a lazer kicks ours.
    alot of people out there still flame cutting parts that get used all the time.

also however to buy and operate a lazer is BIG$$$$$

12. Ruiner

Ruiner

I like plasma, waterjet and laser cut parts for making high tolerance equipment and such, but for making hot rod and kustom parts? Eh, they have no soul to em...perfectly square edges, etc, just look too perfect for a car...I'll take hand-crafted parts anyday on my cars...

13. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

And here I thought I was getting out of the stone age with my new 1940's power hacksaw.

14. Ruiner

Ruiner

You've got one too Jim? I think mine's a Craftsman (Sears) one from about the 40's or 50's...it sure beats the hell out of using a hacksaw, hahaha...I can't get mine to step down like it's supposed to, though, I'll have to tinker with that a bit someday...