Register now to get rid of these ads!

OK, You Old Farts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HealeyRick, Mar 6, 2010.

1. It kinda depends on just how long ago. . .

In grade school (mostly 4th & 5th grade) - horsback riding till midnight, and co-ed skinny dipping in a small lake with the other kids, had a blast and nobody thought much of it - at least not for a few more years. . .

In high school, pooling our $$$ for gas and maybe finding somebody to buy a 6 pack or bottle of cheap wine then cruising the idiot circle. Once in awhile we'd get a squeeze (girlfriend) and go to the drive-in. I still remember when the drive-ins would fog for skeeters. Amazing but I'm still alive to tell about it.

Later in the Air Force it was usually finding a 1/8th mile bull ring dirt track and watching the locals run roundy-round races, or hanging out at the barracks for barbeque with the other guys and gals who were our "family" while stationed away from home.

If I had to choose between any of that and today, guess what I'd pick? Skinny dipping, idiot circles, drive-ins and barbeque. Good times. Very good times.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

There has to be a one liner in that Great Pyrenees story.

3. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Submarine races.

4. slickmick

slickmick

Depends on the year...........................1958 - 1959 Cruizen The Hillcrest Drive Inn in Fullerton or the Bean Hut (which served incredible Tostados) in Anaheim. In 1959 - 1962 Cruizen Harveys Broiler and McDonalds in Downey. Of course, this would happen only if the 554 was not doing it's thing that weekend.........................

5. roddinron

roddinron

Uhhmm, guys, your age is showing, he asked what you'd be doing back then, not now!:D

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If this was say '64 I would be getting ready to drag the Austin over to Fremont tomarrow. If it was '74 I might be draging down some of that time and a half in the machine shop to make my new house payments. By '84 Mostly the same thing as now without the computer stuff.

7. 5window

5window

No,dude, the whole point is-we still got a life. Way more than I had at 17.

8. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

BB gun war in the woods -- (pre-dates paint-balling) :)

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess I'm at about 2/3 fart. (53) I could be "cool", and say "Cuisin' Gratiot Blvd". But the fact is, that they had just recently outlawed cruising in that area by the time I had a car that was remotely worth cruising. We tried to sometimes anyway. What I did do a lot of when I was in my early 20s, in the late '70s, was to hang out at a local dance-bar in my hometown of Romeo, Michigan called "The Blue Banjo"...a converted bowling-alley. A band by the name of "The Teen Angels" played there for about 2 years straight. Practically everybody I knew showed up there at one time or another, and a lot of out-of-towners too. It was fun times. The band played almost all old music, and they were pretty damned good. One of the singers could sing just like Frankie Valley...or one of the BeeGees, depending on what they were playing. LOL. Boogie down, boogie down baby...LOL.

10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Carefully documenting the cars, clubs and cruising activities between 1956 and 1960 to counter the young studs here who want to rewrite history!

11. LAROKE

LAROKE

I'll let ya know when it happens. Got about ten 'puters at home and they're all broke. that's the way I want it. Last nite I was at the Monterey Club listening to a Clarence Reid aka Blowfly set and benchracin' with the gearheads out in the parking lot. One guy had a big block in a '57 chebby with a 10-71 blower on it. Quite a show when he left.

12. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Saturday Nite, At 18, I was trying to get laid. At 58, I'm still trying. At 18, I was willing and able. At 58 I'm willing.

13. matt Delio

matt Delio

going to atco to see what the big "match race" was, talked about it all day in school on monday. later, matt.

14. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

my mom is 93..you are one sick puppy!!

15. BELLM

BELLM

Same as last night, hanging out with good friends in a shop, drinking a few beers, planning our adventures for the next few weeks, laughing at everyone that didn't see Jack lite the firecrackers he threw onto the shop floor, laughing at the antics of the ladies. Main difference in now & 45 years ago is that I didn't have to outrun the cops on the way home, I didn't have to find a date for Saturday night, I got a permanent one, and since gas is not 20 cents a gallon like it was in the mid '60 I don't feel the need to aimlessly cruise from one end of town to the other either looking for chicks or trying to pick up a drag race.

16. inlinr6

inlinr6

Nice intake.does it run well?super cool

17. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

My granny died at 103..............but they saved the baby.

It's Sunday at noon and I just got up and dressed after a big night of drinkin' and raving at the local VFW. Party on!!!!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  18. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

35 yrs ago.hmmm working on the same car i gots now.yeah on a sat night.i was/am still pretty damn u-gly. not a lot of luck picking up girls.unless they were into cars:D

19. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Yesterday (Saturday) I spent bench racing, eating a big thick buffalo steak and getting
    swizzled...4 of my old friends from the "olden dayz" in the early 50's were there as usual..
    We all had to agree at the end of the perfect day that the older we get the faster we went.

20. Cruzing 4th st
    going to freemont drag strip
    sub racing
    lookin for a race
    avalon ball room / or the filmore
    driving this [​IMG]
    half moon bay drag strip

21. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

In the NCO club drinking until I crawled home

22. dixiedog

dixiedog

Street racing in a rambler - you had to ask

23. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

At some race track in hot car staging, suited up, strapped in and waiting for the National Anthem to end so we could push off and fire the bitch, if we were one of the first pair to run.............................Send the first pair down. Yeah, I sat through many National Anthems, but I did put my gloved hand over my heart.:D

408 AA/D

24. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Not mine. Belongs to an internet buddy who is still developing it.

25. Chuck R

Chuck R

I spent Saturday night with some good friends, my wife cooked a killer dinner and we shared some wine. We made plans for 3 vacations together at locations all over the western USA. Hey I also scored a 1957 John Cash Album today. Yeah! My mom always listened to that album when I was a kid, it brought back tons of good memories. I still head to the beach about 4 days a month and am willing to try anything that sounds like fun. My idea of fun has changed some, a little self preservation has crept into my head. I may grow old but I will never grow up. Party On.
    chuck

PS. See my signature

26. Uh, I'm 62 so I guess I'm an old fart. Most Saturday nights I'm out playing in a rockabilly band and wondering if the chicks in the audience are wearing knickers......

www.blacksnapper.co.nz

27. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

Did you do a search for Farts before starting this post?

I did. And didn't like what i smelled.....

28. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

humpin or drinkin or smoking pot or smoking pot and humpin or drinkin and smoking pot or smoking pot and humpin or maybe drinkin and smoking pot while humpin. It coulda been any combination of above. hell its been so long i cant remember. something about raising those 5 kids.............now all I do is build cars while hiding in the mancave waiting for another kid to show up.

29. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

Saturday nights in the mid to late 70's...Van Nuys Blvd and then off to the street races...Sometimes had a girl, sometimes not. Sometimes the girl was just pain in the ass.....Run her home and back out again...

30. narlee

narlee

Middle -Late 60's, I would have been out cruising or maybe hit a dance (that's where the girls were). Then it would depend on how things went at the dance.