Register now to get rid of these ads!

what size bolt's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 6, 2010.

1. I'm ready to bolt down my carburator to the intake,,I know a stud is offered but I'm thinking about using a stainless bolt,,

Anyone know what the thread size is in a Edelbrock intake? HRP

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Almost all threads going into aluminum will be NC or course. Unless it is something odd, it should be 5/16 x 18.

From personal experience on my ot truck with a Holley spreadbore and Performer intake make sure that the bolts will clear the carb parts before you go to install them.

3. That's a good point,,possibly why most guys the use the studs,,thanks, HRP

4. beernut

beernut
    from solvang

an easy way to tell what size a bolt is ,what ever the smallest size open end wrench fits over the threads is the bolt size (1/2" wrench will just fit over a 1/2" bolt):cool:

5. Maybe you need to re-read the question,,I was asking thread size.

It's taken care of now.HRP

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I never like to use bolts to hold a carburetor down.
    I always use studs. Studs do CLAMP better and more uniformly but the main reason is that you wear the threads ( almost always a Fine thread in aluminum ) installing and removing the bolt. :( Just like water thermostat bolt holes. Most everyone on the HAMB has had problems with the thermostat housing bolt galling and messing up the threads in the intake. Stainless bolts ( while PRETTY ) are even worse offenders.

But MAYBE I remove and intall
    my carburetor more ... than you plan too :rolleyes:

I have had the one on 3W ... off and apart at least 6 times since the NATIONALS in Louisville ... and it started out as a NEW carburetor.

7. 39 Ford

39 Ford

It seems to me that they are 1/4x20.

8. not sure about that...every Edelbrock intake i have ever messed with in the last 40+ years has had 5/16- 18 threads

as already said, use studs

9. That's what they turned out to be and yeah,,I bought the studs.HRP