Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to keep my ride safe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vintage Soul, Mar 4, 2010.

1. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

whats the info on that?

2. Sounds like a good way to get sued!:mad:

3. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

Turn the car into an immovable object (bag it to lay frame) so somone with a wrecker can't take off with it.

4. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

You'll be surprised how far a car cover will go (especially in LA). Its a cheap deterrent at $35 a pop.
    Out of site. Out of mind.
    [​IMG]

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

http://www.zoombak.com/

here is one company that offers it. A google search uncovers a bunch of companies that offer similar services.

6. Vintage Soul

Vintage Soul

I called a few vintage car insurance companies and they won't even talk to ya unless you have a locked garage...unfortunately its the first question they ask and thats as far as I've gotten with them. I do appreciate the suggestion tho. Not sure there are "better neighborhoods" in LA. Anywhere is fair game for thieves out here.

7. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

thanks

8. Vintage Soul

Vintage Soul

I just got a car cover that locks underneath..that definitely helps a bit plus once the airbags are in I'm hoping I can get it low enough to lay on the ground or at least the tires. Would I have to c-notch the frame to get it that low?

9. There is a cheaper/more ghetto way of doing that. You get an extra cell phone on your plan, add GPS locator service to it and just keep it in that car. You can track it yourself whenever you want and have it send you text messages at certain points.

You can wire it up to your battery via a charger if you don't ever want to mess with it and since it will have its own internal battery even if someone cuts your battery and tows it you still get tracking info for as long as your cell battery lasts.

When we are traveling out of town I would keep my wife's cell phone in the car, hidden from view when we are sleeping overnight. I set a waypoint marker so if it leaves the parking lot I get a text.

10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

You're right, I have heard of that way. I like the way you can track the vehicle on your computer, so if god forbid it is stolen, you can call local authorities and tell them where the vehicle is in real time. In a small town like where I am, the police would be chomping at the bit to go apprehand a real criminal instead of breaking up high school parties

11. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I always unclip the distributer in rough neighborhoods, although i want to put a fuel shutoff under the seat

12. Vintage Soul

Vintage Soul

No roommates..just me. But its parked right outside my window..thanks for all the great ideas. I got some work to do now.

13. Vintage Soul

Vintage Soul

Any ideas where to get wheel locks or some type of device that will lock a wheel like those damn parking enforcement boots?

14. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Rack up some tickets and don't pay them. At some point, the city will give you one for free.

15. Vintage Soul

Vintage Soul

If I get airbags and drop it super low can it still be dragged away by a tow truck?

16. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

I read yesterday to get a baby monitor and put in the car.... Dont know how far away they work.

17. striper

striper

Yep. Only need to look at some of the crumpled messes they drag up onto them after collisions. Just makes it a bit harder so they take the next one.

18. kustombypook

kustombypook

If a thief really, really wants your car there is NOTHING you can do to stop them from getting it. The best thing you can do is do things to slow them down, so maybe they will move on to something else. A GPS tracking device is your best bet at recovering a stolen vehicle.