Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has the best car collection?...Jay Leno?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Mar 4, 2010.

1. the "best" collections are usually hidden away like expensive art! making up a sticky about collections of various vehicles around north america would be great! i'm only 2 miles from the lemay museum and having known herold always enjoyed crawling around his "support vehicles" the museum is a "must see" when in town. the open house draws people from all over the world and really is great.

2. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Best? Strictly subjective.
    Biggest? Definetly Lemay's.

Another real nice one is the Fountainhead Museum
    in Fairbanks,Alaska. About 100 cars and most of them get driven
    on a regular basis. They have historic race cars that get
    track time every summer also.

3. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  4. fanspete

fanspete

That obviously makes him an ass.

5. farmer12

farmer12

Really like James Hetfields collection, certainly not the biggest,largest,expensive collection out there, but I dig his choices.

6. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Got a link?

7. thomfort

thomfort

8. farmer12

farmer12

Not sure if there's a link out there, but seen quite a few of his cars in magazines over the last few years. Some of his car's are shown in a trailer of one of the Metallica films.

9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:)

Not the LARGEST or most EXPENSIVE ...

But the guy has a GREAT START :D

[​IMG]

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Come on people, it`s the fifth page and nobodys mentioned The Speedy BillSmith Collction.WWW.MUSEUMOFAMERICANSPEED.COM He`s got speed equipment up the Ying Yang. I`d also like tovote for Jim Walker`s of Dayton Ohio. ,American Rodder featured 10 of his cars in 2 issues, 2 colored pages per car, in 92. Is that HAMB enough for you...

11. Larry T

Larry T

Does Reggie Jackson still have his collection?

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, That is a great collection, featured in a HAMB post a year or so ago. That collection has the best barn door murals, hands down!:D

13. I'll go with Lemays also as its such an eclectic collection .I spent over 4 hours rushing through his collection and probably missed 1/2!!!!

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Oh, that "They are driven" deal is a bit over rated IMO, The Henry Ford collection has truely great cars that haven't run in years, the 1865 Roper being one of them.

15. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Reggie has several top notch rides mostly hot rods. He has one of the nicest Willy gassers on the planet but I'm not sure if he has the best collection of them all. I learned after I did a thread about a guy in Vegas that there are several collections out there that you will never hear about owened by average people with a passion for cars.

16. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

not the biggest, but Corky Coker has a warehouse full of interesting rides and just as many bikes.

17. Larry T

Larry T

I remember that, years ago, he had a warehouse full of cars that burned. I don't know if any of the cars survived or if he replaced them. Lots of muscle cars.
    Larry T

18. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Yep. Thats the one. I remember seeing this car at the San Francisco Roadster show some years ago and my eyes almost fell out of my head. It's really a beautiful and I'm not a Gasser guy by any means.

19. 303racer

303racer

whay ever happend to Ralph Whitworth ?????????????

20. Larry T

Larry T

Just found this.
    http://sonic.net/bbdon/features/jax/index.htm

And this from 2007.
    "......However, I am impressed with Reggie Jackson's car collection, part of which is to be auctioned by Russo and Steele during the Monterey Classics week. Apparently he prefers muscle cars, if the information supplied to the press is any indication, and those to be sold include some rare and powerful machines. Reggie explains his reason for selling thusly: "Don't laugh, I'm trying to get my collection down to 50 cars!"....."
    Larry T

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  21. My collection is paid for :)

22. HotRodMetal

HotRodMetal
    from USA

I would vote for the Nethercutt Collection. Absolutely the finest restored cars available. Sam Mann, also a Pebble Beach winner, also has some of the nicest restored cars on the planet.

23. Who owned all the woodies that were auctioned off not that long ago?? And what about Theo Thertito?

24. Al Engle up in Richmond has a pretty substantial collection; rare everything tranportation wise. So does Rodgers in Alameda

25. Bob ... you beat me to it! :) ... I was just gonna post:

Silicon Valley Real Estate developer John Mozart also has an awesome collection of Automobiles (including some Traditional Hot Rods & Customs) ...

... There's 139 images in Ron Garbez's John Mozart Collection Hot Rod Tour fotki logo.jpg album:

Mozart's_Moomjean_Deuce_Roadster.jpg
    Just click the thumbnail of the
    'MOOMJEAN' Deuce Roadster

... and Craig Howell has 246 photos in his Mozart Foundation Car Collection flickr logo.jpg album:

Mozart's_SCoT_Blower_Stromberg97s.jpg
    Just click the thumbnail of the
    S.Co.T. blower

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They sold off a lot of the excess stuff that Harold had after he passed away. Mostly parts cars and a few duplicates or triplicates. On certain models he liked he would have one of each color that was offered that year.

I like the way Jay Leno does with his cars because he actually uses them and enjoys driving them. They aren't just a batch of investments stuck away in a climate controlled building waiting to be sold when they top out in value.

The Ralph Lauren Collection is great simply because it has a lot of cars with some serious history behind them along with being exotic.

Kurt McCormick has a batch of customs that most any custom car nut here would love to call his or her own. Same with Bruce Meyers cars. Each car he has is chosen because it is special and not just picked to be number 456 in the collection.

Personally I'd rather go see a 20 car collection of incredibly interesting cars rather than go through a warehouse of vehicles where maybe a dozen are really interesting.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  27. narducci

narducci

Lets not forget John Staluppi's collection. Very impressive , This guy has his dog registered to buy cars at B-J.
    This guy has had a very interesting life to say the least
    He is tied into one of the 5 New York families .

28. Country Classic Cars in Illinois...........LOL
    That one's sure to raise a few eyebrows.

Ron Pratte sure has been spending a lot of money at Barrett-Jackson the last few years.

Everyone used to talk about Harold LeMay when I lived out in WA state. I used to live about 1/2 hour from the museum.

29. noboD

noboD

It's just an opinion, but with no real guidelines in your question I'd have to say Leno's collection. To me a collection is some of everything. Leno has hot rods, customs, steam, jet, strange, common, fast and REALLY fast, and slow cars. I'd give him the ultimate collector name too. He buys cars that interest HIM, not what's selling high. He knows the cars and works on them too. AND most important, he drives the piss out of them.

30. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED