Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Lyon Hubcaps

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by evil1, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I have a set of 16's with original Cadillac badges.

2. Squablow

Squablow

My '55 Warshawski and Co catalog shows the fluted ones with the Lyon brand name on them for sale for $14.95 per set of 4. I'll sell the book for $20 if anyone is into that, it's got all of the aftermarket JC whitney type stuff from '55.

Must have been great to order a new dual exhaust system for $6.39

3. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

Pulled these off a car recently. Lyon logo is in script. part no. 299134

Attached Files:

4. 53chevy

53chevy

I've collected several sets of these caps in different styles. Jimmy Summers 1940 Mercury Custom got me going and I wanted to find more info about 'em. They tend to be more on the East Coast Customs and sort of the Sports car types. They were on some of the California Customs/Mild Customs, as evidence in the Magazines/Custom Annuals in 1950-55. These Customs and Sport Cars types are in most of the Custom Annuals I have. Starting again from 1950 thru 1955. I run a set on my truck and will change to another set when I go to 16" wheels.

Jimmy Summers 1940 Mercury Custom, 2nd version (Photo taken from Rikster's site; http://members.fotki.com/Rikster/ ):

[​IMG]

Here's what I have now, they're the 15" version:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  5. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Ive got 15" lyons on my 51 club coupe, put bullets in the centre.Found them at a junk dealer somewhere in new mexico, and another full set I picked up for $50, at a big swap meet here in australia.

[​IMG]

6. rexrogers

rexrogers

Here are some before pics of the caps they look a lot better in the pictures than they were. this was the last part i needed to finish the car, I really grateful that they turned like they did.

When we were searching for these cap it seamed that 16" ones were easier to come by this car has 15" wheels and finding a matching set of caps took a while.

I love the louvered caps would definitely not want to straighten them but they are cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Lucky444

Lucky444

Wow, they did a great job cleaning those up!

8. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Sorry I don't have a picture of them, but I have a set of them, that are 16" with a stainless center & a white outer.I just need one more good one tho.Anyone have one?.

9. this is funny this pair was listed on e-bay as "buich hub caps 15"".... [​IMG]

10. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

I ran these on my 50, there all listed in the Almquist catoluge

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not only that, but they defy gravity, too!! How'd they get 'em to hang UP on those nails??? :D

12. Really cool hubcaps! I've never even seen or heard of Lyon hubcaps. I better get with it

13. I have two sets of these 16 inch wheel trims from LYON. One set is still in the original box. The other set has a stainless trim around the inner circle. They are for the Ford wide five wheels. The big Ford hubcap fits right in there.

Attached Files:

14. Rikster

Rikster

These two photos are from the Life magazine Archive. They where part of a series of photos taken at the Barris Shop.

I'm not sure if the hubcap with the open wires is also a Lyon or not...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

demmel likes this.
  15. Heres the ones with the stainless trim. Still as white as when they left the shop.

Attached Files:

16. rexrogers

rexrogers

it is great to see how many different cap designs this company made i think that is one reason it is so hard to come up with a complete set too many variations. they guys who restored the ones we used said the found a complete set of 15" ones if any one is interested.

17. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

it should give unsprung weight a much needed break!:D

18. Spooky

Spooky

I have 3 that have the painted white wall ring attached and two of the domed stainless ones.
    I love these caps!

19. Janne

Janne

I have to include set of lyons to some of my future renderings.

20. More please

21. noboD

noboD

Evil 1, I saw the twin to the last Lyon you posted in your original post this weekend. The louvered one, was at Macungie flea market. I had thought like was suggested that yours was home louvered, but the one I saw was exactly the same. Guy only had one and I was already carrying a bunch of stuff. I knew him and explained what it was, said I'd buy it on my way back through. Hour later when I went back it was gone. Hope a HAMBer bought it.

22. rainguy

rainguy

Re lyon hub caps .....sorry the Jimmy Summers merc never ran lyon caps they were packard units......Foold me too when I was gathering parts to start restoration I bought a set of lyons that I never used still got em hanging on shop wall Dick Page

23. 53chevy

53chevy

Really, I would love to know what year Packard hubcap these are then? If you look at the center insignia/medilion, it clearly looks like the Lyon Hubcap, hence the lion in the center of the shield. The Lion is painted black and the backgound is red.

Ken

24. Rikster

Rikster

Dick, I have my doubts about the Summers Hubcaps on this version are Packard units. I also did do a photo search for them a couple of years ago. And I came to the same conclusion. Packard.. I forgot the year, and yes they did come close. I think it was a specific type only hubcap.
    But the emblem never matched the Summers Hubcap. So now I do think they are Lyons.

Here is the Summers Hubcap. (note the emblem)

[​IMG]

And here is a very nice 36 Ford with Lyons hubcaps. That show them nicely from the side (similar profile as the Summers merc units) and also nicely on the spare tire for the Lyons logo.

(Mark Murray Photo Collection)
    [​IMG]

And another view.
    [​IMG]

These Lyons hubcaps look to have separate trim rings.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
    demmel likes this.
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great thread, thank you all for the history lesson. Now, were and when was this used car lot photo taken? [​IMG]

26. rainguy

rainguy

Rik...You are RIGHT...I WAS TOLD the summers car had Packard caps but your reaserch is the best even long distance...how do you do it?...I suspect it has to do with hard work and a love of subject. You are the best my friend and we all owe you a big THANK YOU....Tommrow I will take pics. of SUMMERS MERC. progress had a wheelchair malfuncton but Im back at it. Wellsvile will be here Wed. next week. PLEASE contact me ASAP let me know if PALLIE needs true CAD SOMBRAROWS [i wish I could spell] ..OR... the CAD CAPS like the one on the car when he bought it I would send what I have.

27. Scored another set! Check out the lip this is the first set I've seen with this style Lyon logo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

You guys need to stop buying these up!

Save me a set of 16s for when I have money!

Seriously, though, great thread. Amazing as usual.

29. Yep I saw that one too and baught it .... now I need just one more and I'll have a set of four ...