Register now to get rid of these ads!

removing anodizing from aluminum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MistGreen50, Mar 5, 2010.

1. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

I have some AN hydraulic fittings that I would like to remove the anodizing from,any body have a ny pointers?thanks in advance....-Jaime

2. Oven cleaner!

3. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

yup, what he said....I've found EZ-Off the best....Though I'd try a fitting that you dont plan on using to figure out the duration of application, if you leave it on too long it will actually eat the aluminum (Think threads)

Belen NM huh....only a few miles away from my pops....

4. I was wondering - I guess it´s not going to work if the anodising is already worn through in places? Won´t it attack the metal faster than the anodising?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010

5. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I've still done it with worn anodized parts....you just gotta watch it and babysit it (IE check by rinsing it clean and reapply as needed)

6. kruzr

kruzr

I've done it on a buffing wheel, with alumimun compound.
    I'm assuming you want to polish them anyway.....

7. tal-strip paint stripper works

8. Glass bead works quickly.

9. It's done in the trade by using a phosphoric acid bath with a 20/80 mix ratio of phosphoric acid and water (1 gal. of acid to 4 gal. of water). Heat the liquid to about 200 degrees... Submerge the aluminum part into the heated mixture for 1 to 3 minutes... if necessary, re-submerge the part for a minute or so... then rinse with clean water.

We get aluminum anodized at my work all the time, and that's how our anodizer told us to remove the anodizing when necessary. That's how they do it and we've done this alot.

Remember to wear rubber gloves to avoid contact with the phosphoric acid and avoid splashing it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  10. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

thanks for the tips guys,going to try and get it off this weekend!

11. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

what town is your pops in?

12. eastwood carries a stripper for anodized parts...

13. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

EZ Off, it's cheap, works well, won't damage your parts if you have and use your brain, and it's available at the local grocery store.

14. I use lye and water in a tub.Watch it bubble away the coating.Like the others said,what ever you use,you need to watch it or it will dissolve the aluminium.

15. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

WEIRD! The HAMB read my mind! i was just wondering today how to strip a grille assy for my 62 f100 grill and this pops up. i like the phosphoric acid and water method, but having such a large part, i'll try the "easy-off" trick first. :)

16. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

Sorry for the OT bike but the front rim was a old gold anadized motorcross rim. Over cleaner worked great. I buffed it a few times with wynol and i'm very please with the outcome.

[​IMG]

17. HATED1

HATED1

the concentrated greased lightning works well and doesn't oxidize the aluminum like ez off does. with ez off you also have to be carefull not to pit the aluminum depending on its quality....

18. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I grew up in and my dad is still in Corralles/Rio Rathole....

Like one of the other posters said if you have a crappy quality aluminum the ezoff will eat it alive...that said I've never had any problems with stripping the aircraft fittings.

19. The cleaner? I have some and will have to be carefull with some of my vintage MTB parts.

20. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

Thanks everybody,i used the EZ off trick and worked really well.I did a #8 an "T" and a #8 an elbow in about an hour and that includes driving to the market,sanding the parts and fully polishing them.I will post pics in a day or so.