Register now to get rid of these ads!

First DRIVE-IN Movie ever watched...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motorhead711, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

My first distinct memories were of Disney movies from the early '60's. 'Mary Poppin's', 'Mr Limpet' and I'm sure there were others, but I was only 5 or 6 years old!

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

2. AMERICAN GRAFFITI! No, I wasn't around when it came out, but back in the late 80's, my dad's car club out in Phoenix, The "Remember When Cruisers" did a secret cruise/scavenger hunt, and the destination was a drive-in showing AG.

I'll never forget watching AG in a Drive-in in the back seat of a 47 Cadillac convert... a great memory.

3. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

First movie I remember was the one about the killer whale in the late 70's maybe called Orka? I just remember sleeping in the back of my Mom's 71 Nova at the Southington Drive-in, that's now closed.

4. gr855

gr855

Fire Ball 500 at the bel-air drive in (Richmond, IN)

5. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Not sure of the first but these are a few I remember:
    Herbie The Love Bug
    Pink Panther
    Evel Knievel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfETBRnhHt0 the second feature was Hell's Angels (mon made dad leave just when the good stuff started) in the back seat of dads 66 Fairlane 390/4spd
    All of these movies were at the Marlboro twin drive in ,Austell Ga.
    I also have been to the Bankhead drive in ,Atlanta Ga.
    Lithia drive in , Lithia Springs Ga.
    And of course the Starlite in Atlanta for Dixie fried

All of these are now gone except the Starlite in Atlanta

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  6. mac762

mac762

Jaws, then we went down to Ft. Lauderdale to the beach. That was fun for a little kid.

7. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

The "Woodstock" movie at the Potomac Drivein.
    I sat in the backseat of Pop's 61 Olds.My older sister and cousin Larry dragged me along.
    After dozing off,I awoke at the end to see Hendrix.
    That really got my attention and started my journey thru popular culture....

There were a few cool cars there that evening as I remember too.A sweet 66 Chevelle,white with a black vinyl top,Cragars and big and littles in the next row over.
    I ogled that thing a long time.

8. First one I remember was 20,000 Leagues under the Sea about 1954. Probably at the Duwamish drive In. The giant squid scared the Hell out of me.

9. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

First one I truly remember seeing at the drive in was when my folks loaded us all up in the Studebaker station wagon for Mary Poppins at the State Drive In in Missoula, went to many B movies at the Go West later in my Teens and twenties, Kept going occdasionaly till they closed it up. It is still there, but the screen is gone.

10. Larry T

Larry T

I don't remember the first one, but it was in the 50's. It was a western and my folks said that when the bad guys started shooting my older brother would duck behind the seat to keep from getting shot. They said I didn't watch the movie, I watched my brother and everytime he'd duck I would too.
    Good times going to the drive-in in the late 60's/early 70's to watch all night marathon B biker movies and such.
    Larry T

11. Crey

Crey
    from Tejas

[​IMG]

HAHAHHAHA.... Yup.... Sure did.... in Hollis Oklahoma.
    Insanity. :D:D

12. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

You guys watched the movie? :eek:

I used to take a date to the movies- especially if it was raining.
    Back seat- fogged up windows- Drive-in pizza- pouring rain- didn't get much better than that!

13. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

The Graduate.. Golden Spike Drive in. 114th & Dodge, in Omaha. Long gone now.

I remember watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre with a bunch of my nitwit buddies, one of which brought a chainsaw (chain removed to protect the drunks), and proceded to wander the drive in, winging the saw at cars with fogged windows. Good times :)

14. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

If I remember right PT 109 spent alot of time in drive ins first saw 2 lane blacktop there. Lots of biker flicks. I am lucky theer is still the Admtil twin operatimg in Tulsa.

15. budd

budd

the first one that really sticks in my mind was some slasher movie, this guy had these women tied to a post and it was turning around, then he had a few knives sticking out of a board and as the women turned it was slashing them, i recall my mom saying to my dad, do you think the kids should be watching this...lol

16. wvenfield

wvenfield

First one I remember was "Torture Garden". You got a packet of monster seeds when you went. I planted them and watched but it seemed nothing ever grew.

I found out years later that the seeds were grass seeds, so, I guess they likely did. LOL

17. LAROKE

LAROKE

Bridge on the River Kwai at the Super 322 Drive-in in Clearfield, PA. I wuz 7 or 8. I believe the place is still open (in the summer).

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

"Trapeze"
    Hasting Drive-in, Pasadena California

[​IMG]

Rosemead Blvd. on he left...curving up
    [​IMG]

19. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I think it was "The Jungle Book" at the Lancaster Drive In...

Which incidentally was featured in the Movie "Spies Like Us" after it closed down.

20. jimmyv

jimmyv

Planet of the Apes sometime in the late 60's or early 70's

21. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Butch cassidy and the sundance kid, hiway 39 drive in, westminister ca

22. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

I believe it was Jungle Book.

23. i do believe it was "old yeller" at the vue dale drive in wenatchee wa. and it's still running showing movies to this day! just over the hill from seattle.

24. first one i remember was Patton, in 1970. Mustang Drive-In Saugus, Ca, its now condos.

25. 51hrdtp

51hrdtp

Star Wars was my first drive-in movie saw it in Ukiah, CA. I think we went to kindergarden together we are about the same age. Only went half the year then moved to Redwood Valley.

26. "Shane", when it first came out, at the Finger Lakes Drive-In...and it's STILL open...doing a Land Office business during the Summer...

27. Larry T

Larry T

Steve,
    There were definately 2 different types of Drive In nights for teenagers. One the "Fog up the windows" privacy type. And the "Get 20 people in the car for the $1.00 a car load" party night. You were in trouble if a load of your buddies showed up for party night when you were trying to fog up the windows in your car.
    Larry T

28. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

Batman Forever - unfortunately. I suppose that's the problem with being a young-Buck.

There are 2 drive-in cinema's in my town, and four more within an hour of my house. Drive in's in South East Idaho are pretty much the 'norm. I take my girl and the Ol' Lincoln at least once a week in the summer. Nothing beats sitting out on the hood of your sled, leaning against the windshield under the stars, your best girl on your arm, and a movie flashing on a 100ft. wide screen in front of you....Damn I love drive-ins!
    (Not to mention the other "Advantages" of the passion pits)

29. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

My family took us to the drive-ins quite a few times, the first movie that really got my attention was Jurassic Park. My older bro and I were wrapped up in sleeping bags and blankets on top of the full-size Chevy Van with snacks. I think I was ten. It was the Getty Drive-in in Muskegon MI. Still open too.

30. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

My wife and I took the kids to the drive-in,back in '67. My daughter was about 2 my 1st son was a few months old.We didn't have much money back then so it was kinda big deal. had a 66 Malibu hardtop 327 powerglide, my 1st new car. Went to Queen's Chapel drive in.Cool hand Luke was showing, wanted to see it real bad. After getting the speaker setup and ready to watch the movie, right after the movie started my son started throwing a fit. It got so bad after only seeing about 5 minutes of it we had to leave. Needless to say i was not happy. Funny thing is, Son is 43 now and Cool Hand Luke has always been his favorite movie and he now owns the 66 Malibu.