Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Dang, Allstarracing! Fehr's Beer!!! I think my dad kept them working three shifts for a while, and I tried to do the same after I got out of the service.
    For it's always, Fehr weather.
    When good fellows get together,
    With Fehr's on the table,
    And a good song ringing clear!

2. allstarracing

allstarracing

Yes my dad tore down the Ferh's brewery and took out the bottling machines. There was one bottled beer left in it when the electricity was turned off. Dad manually turned ther machine and took it. The Fehr's brewery official overseeing the demolition certified it was the last beer ever bottled and had an affidavid drawn up to that effect. Dad kept it for years until a beer bottle collector heard about it and paid dad $500.00 for it. I suppose it still is in his collection with the documentation.Allstarracing

3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Buddy Ward in a Chevrolet at the Fairgrounds. First 409 to run at the track...

[​IMG]

4. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

A. (Long John) Arnold, who we lost last year, and a Cougar at the Fairgrounds...

[​IMG]

5. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Smokey Bishop, one of our better Figure 8 drivers...

[​IMG]

6. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Ron Hargesheimer rolls in the Fairgrounds intersection as multi-year champion Andy Vertrees slips past. I asked Andy if he was close on this one, and he said, "I needed a caution and Ronnie was it."

[​IMG]

7. txtom

txtom

I see Freddy now and then; last time was the Snowball; he just turned 75, and I think he still drives for Richard Petty's ride along deal.

Tim has talked about returning to the seat; he took off to tend to a child's heart problems, but those are resolved. The Fryars are based still in Chattanooga, except for Freddy, who enjoys the quiet hills of Cassville, Missouri.

8. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I really enjoyed being around Freddy when he ran with us in those combined ASA/All-Pro races. A neat guy.

9. larry-41

larry-41

my dad 'larry foster' said smokey was a great friend,and in a brawl you wanted smokey on your side.dad also said that smokey was always smiling.back in the day at the fairground there was a scrap or two.lol

10. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Ya got me. That's the first photo I've seen of me working an ASA race at IRP. Can you send me a larger .jpg of that? [email protected]. Thanks.

11. Warbird7

Warbird7

Nice Butch Hartman and Ramo pics...

12. jmh

jmh

Cool pic of Hartman on a muddy oval.. :pAnd NASCAR is losing fans rapidly!! Wonder why??:confused: John:D

13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Also a nice photo of Goldsmith's 1960 Pontiac.

14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

would like to see tim back behind the wheel. i knew about the child,glad it worked out for the best.

15. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

To you Midwesterners...........what was the racing org that Stott and Derr drove in? I think that it began with an "I". Whatever happened to that organization?

16. allstarracing

allstarracing

It was I.M.C.A. Actually I think it is the forerunner of the current I.M.C.A. that is famous for the mods. I think they still have a late model and street divisions. They used to sanction sprint cars and a long time ago the champ cars.Allstarracing

17. Racewriter

Racewriter

IMCA, started in 1915 by J. Alex Sloan. My granddad won numerous Stock Car Division races in the 50s, and my dad was 2nd to Irv Janey for the '72 championship. They faded away to near nothing by about '77 due to a number of other issues. The name and rights to the organization were bought by Keith Knaack with a couple of other partners who had an idea for what is now the most popular short track car, the IMCA type Modified.

They currently sanction weekly racing and touring series for IMCA Modifieds, Late Models, Sprint Cars, SportMods, Stock Cars (one of which is being finished up by me for this year's season), Hobby Stocks, and Sport Compacts.

18. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

The International Motor Contest Association is, I believe, the longest running motorsports sanctioning organization in the country.

19. SWIGJ

SWIGJ
    from JASPER GA

Pics from Athens Georgia Speedway Reunion today 3/6/10

20. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Thanks guys. IMCA...that's it. We actually could get the results of their late models in our local (Calif) papers back in the 60s and early 70s when Stott and Derr were running. Haven't seen hide nor hair of them in about 40 years. That's why I asked what had happened to them.

21. old dirt

old dirt

Ernie Derr will be inducted into the NDLMHoF at Florence Speedway this year at the North/South.

22. Racewriter

Racewriter

It's about time. I figured that the HOF types didn't know that "late model stock cars" ran on dirt prior to about 1978, from most of their selections.

23. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

wished you had posted this was going on,would have loved to gone,looks like some old racers for sale.you get any prices on those?

24. SWIGJ

SWIGJ
    from JASPER GA

I don't think any were for sale just for display

25. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

o.k. looking tru some old newspapers i got from a guy that hung around with my dad. found some interesting photos. so from 58 and 59 here are some classic stock car shots. all from illustrated speedway news.

26. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

27. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

28. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

29. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

30. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

dave wanted some marc pics, well here are some from a newspaper i have.