Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help. I need all opinions, before I jump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtroad, Mar 4, 2010.

1. adam401

adam401

If you can afford to spend 60k for a complete car maybe you should consider having one built. You could purchase a very nice untouched model a, and in the hands of a capable builder could, could have a car taylor made to your specific taste with a say in every detail of the car.

2. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

It was between Groucho and Deuce Roadster that brought me to my senses.
    Again a very valuable group, these HAMBer's

3. Weasel

Weasel

Here's a couple of bits of Weasel wisdom - remove the hemi and substitute a SBC - now what is the car worth?

Imagine you are trying to sell it for the hypothetical CDN $60k you have in it - do you really think you'll have them lining up at the door?

4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

that's so much money... no way man.

5. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Interior is horrible, wheels and tire don't really look right just to name a few.....

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Going to LOOK is a good move. You will always WONDER ... if you do not go and look. Look with your head ... not your heart.
    Leave your check book at home ;)

Carefully walk around his show room ( It is about 20/25 miles from the Charlotte NC airport. ) ... LOOK at ALL the vehicles there ... and then appraise them it before you look at the " HIS " price. Then compare his prices to your appraisals and see the 30/40 per cent difference ( ERROR ) in his prices.

I already have a appointment Monday that has to be kept, or I would met you@ the airport and then take you to the show room.

Might even buy LUNCH ... but I have to be about 135 miles from Charlotte ... that day and the next. :(

7. budd

budd

just to add to your confusion heres a couple pics of the coupe here on the island, i wish i could find some of the interior because it is just as nice on the inside.

Attached Files:

8. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the thought. A freind of mine is comming down with me. I'll let him hold my check book. My wife and I have talked, I let her read this thread. She agree's with everyone. But, as she knows, I'll make up my own mind when I have all the facts.
    We're going to be down in the Us for a week. Charolette is a starting point. Newton (going with me) has a freind in Roade Island, with a 33 Coach. He says it's worth a look. His freind is unemployed. He feels that we may be able to deal. Once I get to Charolette, I will rent a one way car, pop on the lap top, and see where it takes us. Its too bad your busy. I would have bought Lunch, it's the least I could do, after the help you have offered. I will return. ( NASCAR Races)

Thanks again
    Dusty

9. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Thanx Budd
    That is a nice 32. I sent him an Email. Just waiting for a reply.

Thanks again
    Dusty

10. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Your original question was, "is this a wise investment." NO. An investment is aimed at getting your money back or making money with it. Toy - that is a different thing, a value judgement only you can make.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

LOL, I just looked at the dealers site and I think Deuce Roadster is being nice, that guy is on crack. I looked at some other cars and the price he was asking. There are some that are easily double what they should be.

12. What if he's smiling and the seller LAUGHING.....big difference:D

I'd buy 3

"IF" that thing still appeals to you in person, offer him something in the low low 30's. Tell him, all the fees/taxes may not be HIS problem, but they certainly are YOURS, and as long as they exist, you WILL add them to the equation. The harder you worked for that $60k, the less that car will appeal to you. I drove 300 miles to Indian Wells 3 weeks ago for a car show, hoping for something interesting to buy. I do shit like that every week. The guys on the HAMB say I always manage to find cool cars. Believe me, I do a LOT of looking. I literally look at a few THOUSAND cars per each one I buy. No bullshit. It's not easy finding something you like. But, that's no excuse to spend SIXTY GRAND. Now, go make us proud

Words to listen to

13. if i had 60 large, while that's a nice car, it wouldn't go into that one. it's all about what you want. personally i'd be talking a '49 merc sled.

14. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

for that kind of money you could buy a 32 or 34, don't spend all that money on an A model. Don't get me wrong its not a bad looking car, but definatly not worth that much.

15. nwaringa

nwaringa

60? In this market? That is a rolling hole in the pocket. Buy something rough and put 20 in it and you'll still be WAY ahead.

16. yardgoat

yardgoat

That cars nice, but i promise the guys here with shops could fix you up with a car as nice for maybe half the money,and it would be built the way you want,the colors you want,the seats you want,everthing the way you want.....................YG

17. That is way too much money. You can get an original deuce roadster for that price.

18. Dirtroad,
    It seems like you got off on the wrong foot by quoting the LANDED price in CANADIAN dollars! Probably should have just quoted the ASKING price in U.S. bucks... $45,000.00 U.S. is still a good chunk of cash and their are likely cars just as nice (or nicer) for less, but, if that's 'the one' and it turns out to be a solid car - well, you are doing the right thing by at least seeing it in person in my opinion. To have someone in Canada build you a quality rod to your specs in our dollars would put you right back around the number you are looking at. Ask some of the guys near you what it would have cost to have had a shop build their car... $25,000.00 Cdn for a GOOD paint job is not out of line. $5,000.00 to 10,000.00 for a built hemi. There's half and you haven't a body, chassis or interior yet. I'm definately not saying it's a bargain, just saying what a few others said and don't jump with blinders on, do your 'due dilligence'.
    If you feel you can afford such an expense, you must be pretty good with your money. I suspect you will make the right decision for you yet again.
    Best of luck.

-Dave

p.s. Perhaps someone on the H.A.M.B. knows who owns the car (if it is consigned) and you could cut out the A** H*** in the middle - since he doesn't sound like the best guy to be dealing with?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  19. hell...I'm with Groucho...and he's in Cali!...60 big ones?...keep the wife and keep lookin'....

20. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Dusty ... you need more than advice ... that is NOT a 1932.
    It is a Model A with a 32 shell.

[​IMG]

I believe you need eye glasses
    ... OR ... a guide ... or a mentor
    because like it or not ... there is a LOT of $$$ difference
    in the purchase price of a Model A and 1932 Ford.

Now if Model A's trip your trigger ( and they do ... for a LOT of rodders :D :D ) ... that is good for you. It means you can save
    a PILE of
    $$$ ... but do not pay a 32 Ford price for a Model A.

It is supply and demand ...

Ford made 4 million Model A's and only a little over 2 hundred thousand 1932's. The supply of Model A's ... are like 18 Model A's for every 32 Ford made. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  21. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

Deuce Roadster, you caught that too.Very well said .60,000 is alot of money for a model A. Alot of nice cars here in Reno,I'm looking for something to build

22. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Dont forget about the cost to fix the entire enterior...blahh

23. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Deuce Roadster
    I guess I was a little out of it the other night. My fingers were typing faster than my brain. I do know the difference. I should of replied 31. .....Boy, me red faced.
    Thanks for pointing that out
    Dusty

24. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

Here... you can have this for $35k and then put another 25 into it to make it what you want. :)

[​IMG]

Seriously... I think $60k is way too much for that car. I like the outside and the motor, but it looks like the interior has a lot to be desired.

There are a lot of cars for you to choose from in the $60k range. Look around a lot more, don't rush it, wait for the right car.

25. Thats to much to pay for a model A I have know of one here in PA that they want 36,000 for And feel that may be over priced.

26. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Old cars shouldn't be looked at as investments unless you are just looking for a nice hard slap in the face every few years. Prices fluctuate like everything else. We still have lots of folks trying to unload cars built/bought at the peak of economic growth for champagne prices in a beer economy.
    The real test is simply "Do YOU want it? Do YOU have to have it?", if yes, then buy it and enjoy, if no, pass it by and keep on looking with no regrets.
    They're just old cars, not repositories for retirement funds. Enjoy them, use 'em up, pass 'em on and do it again until it's over.

27. yardgoat

yardgoat

Well said Pasadenahotrod .............................YG

28. If you have Jay Leno's money, maybe. Noooo. To much for an A in my book, If you can do the work yourself you would half of that in it and nice drivers are 20K all day. Just my 2 cents.

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

30. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I dont believe that car is worth 25000 in todays economy.The interior needs replaced and even though i am sure it rides good the front suspension does not fit the looks of the car.A 32 5 window or 2 door sedan would also be easier for you to get in and out of.Good luck with your search.As others have suggested maybe buying a body and have it built to your specs might be better.You might contact welderseries on here for advice.He has been doing hot rods in canada for a long time.