Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starting them young

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by selohssa, Mar 4, 2010.

1. selohssa

selohssa

My son got his first toolbox on the weekend for his third birthday. It is a Snap-On promo box in mint shape. I love having him help me in the shop working on cars. It sure is nice to see him take an intrest in his old mans hobby.

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_2866.JPG

2. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That's pretty awesome!!

3. Flatlander

Flatlander

That is sweet. Looks like you have a good helper.

4. skwurl

skwurl

Thats to cool. It looks just like a smaller version of my box right down to the top lockers and cabinet.

5. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

that awesome man

i wish i had a tool box like that when i was that age, hell ill take it now to

6. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Cool! Be thankful he has interest, mine dosen't :(

7. electron

electron

That kids tool box is nicer than mine!

8. Very cool. He looks about the age of my oldest. Mine's almost 3. He has tons of toy tools, but no real ones yet. He loves old cars and tools. It's a great feeling. I have a picture of Moonglow....that kickass white custom 54' Chevy hanging in my garage. Last night I showed him a different pic of the same car in one of my Rodders Journal and askd him if he knew the car. He replied, yeah its the 54' chevy in the garage. God love him.....

9. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

That's fantastic!!! I love that tool box! My little Dude would just love to have one of those.... For now he just walks out into the shop and tells me how everything out there is HIS.... HA! Love it! It's true... It is his but we know how that all goes! I'll need to keep my eye for one of those boxes. Here's my guy hanging out in our Shop...

Attached Files:

10. Isn't it a great feeling when you are sharing your shop-time with your children?

I love it!

My son got his first set of real tools for christmas right before his 5th birthday...by the fall of that year he decided that he just needed to have a '26 roadster that we saw for sale.:eek:

Now we have a project to share and memories to last forever!!!:D

11. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

I agree 100%... Even tough Max spreads shit all around in my shop, "He can empty the draw of files in 2.5 seconds...." I just love having him out there with me. Nothing better than having him walk back in the house black as hell from grease and what not. I recently took him over to the storage unit to see my roadster for the first time ever and now that's the topic of conversation all the time. "Daddy where's my roadster?"

12. Hey Selohssa,
    I think you made a good move! Teach em self reliance and creativity. I still live with the memories of my dads tools and what he taught me. Kinda wanted my son headed in the same direction. Had him changing the plugs on my flathead '36 when he was about ten - and got a pic to prove it! One day just to press the boundary, I gave him a junked Brigs mower engine, handed him some tools and told him to take it apart. "Ya can't hammer on it or break it apart, ya have to UNBOLT IT", I said. He struggled with it for some time and finally began to tire of the whole thing. I said go on and take the head off to see whats inside. When he popped it off and looked inside he smiled from ear to ear! "WOW" he yelled. I swear now I could almost see the light bulb go off in his head! Thats all it took - well to make a long story short, he graduated to cars and has built an hopped engine and even built an auto tranny for his '90 Chevy truck. Next, he pulled the auto and stuck in a T56. Not bad for a kid on a students budget and limited time. He's 24 now and about to graduate from college. I think it's those kinda things we can do now that make a difference in the future...

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Doesn't get anybetter than that when it comes to togetherness with your kids.

14. selohssa

selohssa

Thanks for the encouragement. I am really looking forward to buying him a real car to work on. For now, this is his car. It has a 6.5 horse engine, electric start and an AHHOOGGAA horn. He loves it.

2db7_20.jpg