Register now to get rid of these ads!

Header coating?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raven, Mar 4, 2010.

1. raven

raven

Ok, I want to open this up for some discussion.
    To start, I built a set of headers for my v8 swap into my '54 Chevy truck.
    I dodn't want to build them again, so what are my options?

1. I've heard that one can get them powder coated or ceramic coated.
    Which is best? Which is 'least-expensive'?

2. Next question is for the best option, what is there in the Mid-West to get them done?
    Near KAnsas City, MO?

r

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

There is a place off 40 in blue springs, next to corvette specialties, and powder coat plus 816.863.4420

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Moores Power Coating Waverly NE.

4. zzford

zzford

I don't think powder coating headers is a good idea (a lotta heat). Ceramic coating is good.

5. raven

raven

This would be an answer to number 1.

What are the pros and cons of each?
    Anyone know?

r

6. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

ceramic coating is the way to go ! have had 2 sets of headers done now , sent mine to hpc which stands for high performance coating ! pricey around $300 to have them done but they are coated inside and out !

7. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

High Performance coating in OKC wanted over $400 to do my lake headers but I found another place that have agreed to do them for $175.
    As said before powdercoating can't take the heat it has got to be ceramic.

8. budd

budd

power coating it heated to around 400 degrees, its likely your headers will get up to over 1000 degrees, so what is refered to as power coating would just melt off as soon as you started your car, ceramic coating is baked on at a higher temp then your headers will likely ever get to, so it doesnt melt off, not many places that do power coating have an oven that will go up to over 1000 degrees.

9. As one who works in the Header manufacturing business I can tell you that Ceramic Coating is the O N L Y way to go. Powder coating was not designed for high heat applications and will not last.
    There are many different qualities of Ceramic Coatings and the application of them. If you go for a really cheap price, you will probably get a really cheap job. It will be thin and won't last. The key to ceramic is relatively thick even coating and then a long time in the tumbler. This costs money and you get what you pay for.
    I can strongly recommend Embee Coatings in Santa Ana CA as one of the best anywhere! They are well versed in this and handle mail order efficiently. Well worth your time!

10. mopar210

mopar210

had mine ceramic coated 2 years ago (inside nd out) this to me is the only way to go . dissapates heat wonderfully , looks great , also after 1 season of rain mud etc.... started to look dull , i took mag and aluminum polish to them , now the look as good or better than the first time they were bolted on . probably too far away for you , but i had them done in struthers ohio , very resonable and the guy is the best . mopar210

Attached Files:

11. slow cheetah

slow cheetah
    from missouri

Performance Coatings Plus

Located in Joplin Mo. (417) 439-0546

performancecoatingsplus.com

They do ceramic coating as well as powder. There site gives a detailed explanation of why to use ceramic over powder when it comes to hi temp headers, etc.. I know they are not local to you Raven, but might be worth a road trip.

12. raven

raven

Hey, that's local enough!
    r

13. chubbie

chubbie

Is this information your experiance, or an opinion, some thing some one told you?

I powder coated my own headers in my garage, in an old oven, 5 years ago. the smallest amount of research would tell you that there is a high temp. powder coat, choose your color! my grand total is $15, looks great