Register now to get rid of these ads!

To those who were prayin' for Dad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly, Mar 4, 2010.

1. I posted this in the chapel, but I know some of y'all who weren't part of that were sending prayers and positive thoughts on Dad's behalf.

I can never express enough thanks for all the prayers that went up for him, and us during this time.

Dad never got to come home from the hospital, although he went to a physical therapy place for a while and things looked better on occasion. His lungs kept getting more fluid, his heart wasn't getting stronger, and they weren't able to get him in the condition he needed to be in to install the pacemaker/defibrillator. He went from the phys. therapy place to the hospital next door where he was until about a week and a half ago. He had started getting delirious, reaching for things that weren't there, talking like it was 1956 again, then come back to the present only to slip back into the world he was seeing that none of us could. His body wouldn't let him eat, and insurance regulations being what they are the feeding tube he needed couldn't be done at the hospital but rather in a nursing home...GOD, I hate those places. Anyway, his health worsened and the tube never was attempted, our last words this afternoon were "I love you dad," "I love you too..s...s..son"

About 9 PM we got the call that he had stopped breathing and was at the ER. They tried CPR but he was gone.

[​IMG]
    Dad in the black hat, circa 1955 with his friend Curly Hebb.

The old cowboy is finally got to ride again, it would appear. If God's got any broncs that need bustin', bulls that need ridden, or any all around cowboy work done...then he's got one of the best hands that ever worked a ranch ANYWHERE.

Thanks again for all your prayers.

Sincerely,
    Mark, aka hillbilly.

2. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Thats sucks! Sorry about your loss. I went through six months of exactly what your saying. Dad was reaching for stuff, seeing things etc etc etc.
    Take care man and keep your chin up. It will get better over time.

3. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Sorry to hear of your lose Hillbilly. I was present when both my mother and father passed of old age and failing health.
    It wasn't easy for me and I am sure it wasn't for you. You just have to believe that your dad has gone to a better place!
    Geoff aka whodaky

4. HotRod33

HotRod33

Sorry to hear that he passed on into the next world but Rest assured that your dad is in a better place.... You will see him again someday and the time that you spend together then will be endless....

5. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Sorry for your loss, be glad that you got to tell him you loved him and that you knew he felt the same way. When the time comes for us to hang up our spurs that's the only thing that really matters!

6. Glad you were able to be near your father when his time came, and glad that the last words you exchanged were the most important thing that you could have said. You and your family are in my prayers.

7. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hillbilly,
    So sorry to hear about the passing of your dad. Mine has been gone for 14 years this year and i still miss him. Just be thankful that you got to say to each other "i love you". My thoughts are with you and your family.
    Gasser Girl

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

damn............. sorry to hear this.

9. Hope your pops rests in peace

10. Condolences to you and your family....

11. 73super

73super

What is it about this year inparticular.. It's only March! My mom passed in January, your Dad just passed.. and I'm surrounded by people at work who are losing loved ones... Man, the loss is hard to put into words, but there's comfort too in knowing that the suffering has stopped... for everyone. My prayers for you and your family.

12. kookee

kookee

I am terribly sorry for your loss. As others have said, it is fortunate that you could be with him. I wish him well on his journey to without the pain he had endured.

13. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

Wow man, sorry for your loss. Just remember he is in a better place, and you will get to see him again some day.

14. God speed cowboy, no fences ahead. Sorry for you and your families loss Hillbilly, thoughts and prayers from Montana.

15. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

DAMN...Mark I'm very sorry to hear this...I am glad to know you both shared an "I love you" before he passed...that is something that means a lot to the both of you. Cherrish the memories, and rest assured your dad no longer suffers, and is in a better place. Keep your head up...and continue on aqs you know your dad would want you to, and continue to make him proud. Best wishes and thoughts to you and the rest of your family and friends. Al

16. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

Thoughts and good vibes your way bro.
    I lost my ol' man two years ago on valentines day and it fucking still sucks.......

17. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

My condolences to you and your family. I lost my dad 32 years ago when I was 14, still think about him every day.

18. Sorry to hear. May he rest in car heaven

19. Prayers for you and your family. May GOD give you strength at this tough time. Gary

20. Its a shame he had to check out the way he did, nothing you can do and you were there at the end, and your dad knew it. Win, win for everyone.

I lost my mom when I was 23 and I had younger bothers and a sister who it was harder on. My dad is 92, moving slow but still has his marbles and no major health concerns aside from arthritis, diminshed walking skills and a couple of under control medical issues. He stiill has a rock crusher hand shake.

Once you hit 80 and beyond, anything simple can derail your health. I want to go out hang gliding on my 90th bday.

Bob

21. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Sorry to hear of the loss of your father... I lost mine 26 years ago and I still miss him. Be strong brother life will go on....

22. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Sorry to hear of your loss

23. amsvette

amsvette

I too am sorry for your loss. I lost my dad a year ago to cancer. His final hours sounded about like you dad's but my dad's last clear word's were, "ah...bullshit." I miss that SOB. My condolences to you and your family.

amsvette

24. My prayer for peace goes out to you, your family, and your friends. I think it was awesome that you were able to have those last words, many of us will not have that opportunity. Peace...

25. rustyhood

rustyhood

I really hated to read this. I to lost my dad 14 yrs ago. he had already passed before I could get to his hospital room. I still see him through most everything I do. He taught me alot.
    hillbilly, my sincere condolences to you and your family.

26. raven

raven

Pops are important people.
    Some know it, some don't.
    You have my prayers.
    r

27. I am sorry for your loss but you were there and were able to say what you wanted to say - many never get that chance, for whatever reason.

My Dad will be 86 on Mar 11th and is a pistol to be sure - I don't know what life would be like without him so I can't even begin to imagine your pain. All I can think of is to remember the good times and all the lessons learned as he will then live forever in your heart.

You have my prayers and condolences to you and your family.

28. chilly1

chilly1
    from Tacoma,Wa

My condolences to you and your family. I lost my dad last april 2 days before I retired and he was really excited to see me retire. I got there as they were working on him but they could'nt get him back. Not a day goes by I don't think of him. I wish he could have seen me retire but at least you got to comfort him and thats a good thing.

29. 58Darlene

58Darlene

Peace be with you, sorry for your loss!

30. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72