Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone made a roadster from a coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bikertrash, Jan 13, 2010.

1. rockabillyrodder

rockabillyrodder
    from Colgate WI

I've seen lots of coupes turned into roadsters most of them old builds and I have loved them all. In fact I would rather have a "roadster" this way. I like to see how builders have dealt with certain issues on completing these hotrod changes. There is a million ways to hotrod things and every one is different that is what I like. Are cut points molded square or round? Do body lines continue? Are the door tops and cut pionts covered with tuck and roll or pleats? Do the doors still overlap the quarters or are they flush mounted? I think a roadster this way is tons more exciting that a stock roadster. And all reason for the change is because roadsters are faster and coupes are cheaper. Let's not forget our roots here. This is hotrod history rule #1.

2. rockabillyrodder

rockabillyrodder
    from Colgate WI

Forgot to mention whatever you choose do not start with a complete car and only use 20% of it. Start with the 20% you want to use and add to that. I am seeing alot of complete and some times running model A's be reduced to a body. Henry hasn't made this tin for 80 years and I still hear of people throwing fenders and axles away for scrap.
    If you cut the top off do a good job, don't destroy anything, and save all pieces.
    Don't be a sheep rodder!

3. [​IMG]

Yes I know street rod but you get the idea-This has the soft top replaced with sheet metal covered in padded vinyl.<o></o>

[​IMG]

4. golden31

golden31
    from Omaha, NE

I have a 27 T coupester that is done beautifuly and I love it, but I agree with some of the others. if you are the type to be bothered by busy body guys pointing it out then probably not the way to go because it will happen, On the other hand if done right it is very different and a fun conversation peice at events. I am +1 on saving any cut off parts for other builders vs. the scrap bin! There are some pics in my profile of mine The guy that did this roof in my opinion really nailed it, I wish I could take credit for it but it wasn't me.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Judging by the shots of your old truck, I'd say you've got the talent to make whatever you want. I'm also cheap, and I like the challenge of making something out of nothing. Buy it, cut it up, build it into whatever you want, and if some purist tells you it's not a "roadster" now because you cut the top off a coupe, ignore 'em and walk away.

Nothing against Brookville or any of the other dedicated people building new bodies, but I'd rather spend the 6,500 (are they that inexpensive?) and build the WHOLE CAR.

Brian

6. Many were done in the early days. usually non-fords. although I did know of a 32 coupe that was butchered into a roadster. he later bought the roof off this chevy to, (gasp) try to install on the ford.:eek:

Attached Files:

7. Tiki Wagon

Tiki Wagon

Here are two pics of my buddies "Coupster"... formerly a 5 window coupe - now a roadster wirh a snop on roof... I like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]