Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest HAMB SCAM ALERT from the UK!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mac the Yankee, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Long story short, I just got duped.

I've been looking for some early 20's Samson engine parts and was contacted by "Oscar Alexander" from the UK, who saw my ad on the AACA forum who had the parts I needed. Unfortunately, I got excited about it and eagerly emailed back and forth for a week or so (he was happy to wait while I got the money together), sent the Western Union yesterday, and wouldn't you know, when I got home from church tonight, the mailer daemon notice said that his email address is no longer valid.

Called W.U. tonight, who very politely told me that there was no way they could get my money back, etc...

I'll be giving the information to my local police to follow up, but if this fellow contacts you, RUN AWAY!!!

2. Sorry, now that I look at the title, it may be misleading- this guy is not, to my knowledge, a HAMB member- just wanted you all to be aware of his "name".

3. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

Some people really have it coming to them...... happened to me on a deal a few years ago, I got stiffed for $340 for a part.

4. inkmunky

inkmunky

This is way too common, they advertise literally anything you can think of and also target high dollar wanted ads. Unfortunately even if you can track the western union cashing place and contact local UK police they still can't do anything for you. Sucks big time.

Sorry you got taken man it's a tough thing to deal with, did it myself about 4 years ago learned my lesson quick and that's why i tend to deal with HAMB members or something i can buy on site.

5. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

Inkmunky I know your a good man.... I'm glad for the hamb Ive made over 50 deals on the Hamb and every person has been stand up 100% only place i deal anymore

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Sorry for your unfortunate dealings. I've had the best dealings with HAMB members. I'd say I've had over 25 purchases and not a deadbeat in the bunch.

Frank

7. TOOOOOO many eyes here. Good for honest people.

8. Yup, never had a problem on the HAMB, just wish I had been a little more thorough with this guy.

9. inkmunky

inkmunky

Don't knock yourself too bad, you can only do so much from a distance.

I'll stick with the HAMB, good deals great guys. 3 cars, 3 motors, and multiple parts later i'm still a happy guy. The guys i've bought the cars and motors from are even storing them til i can get em now talk about cool people!!!

10. no55mad

no55mad

Speaking of HAMB deals, I have had some problems here but fellow HAMB'rs pitched in and in one case, went to the sellers home and got him motivated! So in the long run, the parts showed up - yes this is a good place to buy parts.

11. and just remember NOT to use western union for money transfers.. there are no safeguards to get your money back if your scammed.. that's why scammers prefer WU.

12. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got to agree, I have never had a problem on the HAMB either, until a about 2 months ago, a very well known HAMBER had a problem finding a pretty hard to find object, to cut a long story short I had one. He P.M'ed me to see if I would sell him the part, I had no use for the item so I said he could have it if he pays the freight, gets a PM back with all the HAMB brother bullshit & what a great guy I am and so on. So I wrap the part up & post it to him It was about $100 AU freight Now he doesn't even answer my PM's & I know he recieved it. good luck & Amen.
    Cheers Dago.

13. Dago, name & shame him, for people who may have dealings with him in the future. It could save them a lot of grief. Karma is a bitch, "what goes around comes around".................... as they say.

You've helped me out in the past - so thanks a lot.
    I've still got those drums for you, I'll sort them out at some point

cheers

Bob

14. duste01

duste01

I wish I could say that.

15. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Bob.

16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I really hate to hear these stories about people getting ripped off . I wish there was a way to get these people and get our hard earned money back , but there is no courts that want to go after these people . Stealing is stealing no matter if it's $10 or $1000 ! These dirt bags should have to make good on the deals or refund their money . Seems to be getting worst every year !
    I have done very well with the many deals here on the HAMB and the parts are usually BETTER than they describe ! I have only gotten taken once on here by a member and found out he ripped off about 8 other members . Ryan stopped him real fast from dealing here again ! Ryan did give us his contact information but the POS said tough and off he went with our money ! I have bought from some other forums and have even traded parts and have never had a problem yet . I also do good on that list we all know of too .
    Bottom line is deal with the people you know and stay away from on-line auctions and some over seas ads ! Can't do a dam thing with the people overseas !
    Wish you the best on finding the parts you need for your build !

RetroJim

17. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

I have got burned a couple of times in the hamb classifieds!!
    I cant remember the one guys id, but the other (CHINGON1952) was a particular slimy thief, and managed to steal $50.00 bucks from me, that I didnt have to spare.
    But I have bought many more things, off of the classifieds here, with no problems at all.
    I guess its just a roll of the dice.

18. Happens every once in awhile on here.

I've got a fella that I'm a little worried about now but I'll give it another week before I out him. I'm just hopein' that he's been away from the computer. I've had that one happen also.

Sometimes the fleeas fall into hard times and think it'll be OK. The absolute best way in th world to screw up a good thing is not to communicate.

Hope it works out for ya.

As for the other thing, I know some pretty good folks from the UK but as of late it has become scam city. I think they must be taking in a lot of "refugees".

19. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

lmfao :D

20. I learned this the hard way too from an ebay ripoff. NEVER use Western Union to send money to someone you don't know!

21. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

There has actually been a few Threads on this exact Scam,,perhaps a sticky up top ,,listed know ones would benefit folks

22. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

maybe one of our UK members can post up a ad looking for something similar and see if the same person replies. Then they might be able to see where the guy is.

23. brad chevy

brad chevy

ITS a toss up these days,PAYPAL,WESTERN UNION,SCAMMERS IN THE U.K.AND NIGERIA,They are all competing to be the biggest crook.any response you get that has western union on it is a 99% scam,if you can"t get a phone number from buyer its a scam.Watch your own ASS because nodody else will.I think craigslist has there own office full of scammers ,probably working on commission.Thank the HAMB for having alot of straightup people.

24. inkmunky

inkmunky

True that could work but i wouldn't be surprised if those same scumbags are cruising these forums right now looking at this. They probably get off hearing how they screwed people.

Best thing i've found is just never use WU, they suck, period. Zero protection, zero customer service, and zero recourse. Even craigslist says not to use them.

As for all the guys with bad dealings on the here, it can happen, it sometimes does, but at least we have the backing in order to take some action. I also wouldn't be surprised if something like this happened on the HAMB and a rant was put up if many other members offered up to help out.

25. James427

James427
    BANNED

4X on the Western Union thing. That should have set off the red flags for you big time. Bank wire transfer. That's the ONLY way. If they steal your $$ at least you can ID them properly because you can't get a bank account without proper id since 911.

26. inkmunky

inkmunky

Unless it's swiss ;)

I lost a full 1k even on a scam... 2 weeks pay for me at the time and at 21 a pretty big deal, took me a long time to recover from that but you move on as long as you learn from your mistake you're already a better person.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  27. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Buddy of mine lost $600 (wire transfer) for a fuel injector to the UK........

28. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I ahve to agree. Every deal I've made on the HAMB has been good. Never been scammed here. Maybe there scared of Ryan. :DI would trust another gear head off the HAMB before I trust any one else, especially some mullet from over seas.

29. 49coupe

49coupe

Sorry to hear about you getting screwed. I posted a wanted ad for some '53 Pontiac parts on www.restored-classics.com. The next day, I got 3 separate emails from "suppliers" in the UK and few more followups. Based on the generic working "we have the part(s) you are looking for", I knew they were automated or a spam, but a couple looked pretty convincing. They're obviously trolling these sites for information.

30. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Fucking Redcoats...

Seriously though... Buying stuff online is getting to be like gambling or the stock market these days... "Never invest more than you can afford to loose."

It's really a shame... Personally, I don't see any solution forthcoming.