Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Falling in love again. New barn find Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bikertrash, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

So I just brought home a new love. I realize that many say that they have barn finds. This big girl actually came out of the barn. I am still in the planning/dreaming stage and I don't have any money so this stage will last awhile. I am trying to decide between finding a donor clip (cameroish) or doing like a TCI suspension. I think that bagging it would rock but the money thing scares me a bit. I've never been down this particualar road and want to do it the right way but want to drive it sometime in the next 10 years. Any input from fellow HAMB'ers would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Tin Can

Tin Can

great car, looks like the chrome isnt to shabby on it and the grill is in good shape too. Make a plan and build it to be awsome

3. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Your in the right place for ideas , I have read a few articals about the bigger cars with the mustang II frontend and they say that they wear out fast because of weight I might would look at a camaroish front clip !!!

4. Racewriter

Racewriter

Yep. The Stang stuff was designed to handle a 3000 pound car, max. Putting it under that Buick would be like putting 6" stiletto heels on a 350 pound woman - the results ain't gonna be pretty or safe. The Camaro/Nova clip would be a good way to go.

5. 117harv

117harv

Does it have an engine? Just get it running, do a wheel and tire change and drive it while you save your money for the major stuff.

Nice find, has lots of potential.

6. Justin31A

Justin31A

I agree, get it running, get it safe and roadworthy, and enjoy it! And in the mean time pick up parts for it little by little, like swap meets, and here and maybe a cheap rattle can paint job.
    Congrats on the find, it's a beautiful car!!!!

P.S. I just noticed in the pics no motor or trans, bummer, that thing would be a sweet home for a Nailhead though, I have a Dynaflow if you need one

7. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

Great car! I have a 52 Buick, they are awesome cruisers. I wouldn't be too worried about changing the front clip on it. The front suspension on these are pretty decent and you can still get parts relatively easily....Enjoy! Does it still have the straight 8?

8. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

x2!!!!

9. 52chevydeluxePDX

52chevydeluxePDX

lots of work! I have the same car. however it has 28k miles on it and also was stored in a barn for many years. (mine is a 4-door super) Does it have the straight 8?

10. Orn

Orn

Nice find

11. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

nice find

love buicks

12. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

There's no motor or trans in it. I don't know what combo I will go for. I recon I will save my money and find something good. The stainless is all there and I have the missing/broken mustache for the grille. My plan is to change out the floor, find a motor/trans/rear for it and pick up stuff from here and the swap meet. I'm pretty jacked and think it will make a great ride someday. I found a bunch of suspension stuff on Kanter's site that I would probably go for. The sad part is, I can't keep it at the house so it will be built from a storage yard and tow it home on the weekends...

13. grapp

grapp

Actaully, if you rebuilt that front end, I think you'd be pretty impressed with the way it drives...Put your money into good brakes!!!

14. BJR

BJR

Put a nailhead in it!

15. NAILHEAD JONES

NAILHEAD JONES
    from Lomax ILL

nice find i got a 50 buick

16. Nice find! A real nice, sold car! I'm not real familiar with Buicks. It that grille stainless or is the chrome just that good? I would find a Nailhead, put it in, a little lowering and drive it just the way it is! It would be cheap and get more atention for sure! I can get a cheap ($700) 47' Buick here in Cleveland that has a straight 8 in it. It would be cool in yours, but probably a little far for Boise. Best of luck to you!

17. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

The lines on the early 50's Buick are sweet custom material. Nice Find!

18. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I agree with this. Get it running, it's a great morale boost.

19. Vendome

Vendome

Wow! Just look at that real patina!! Nice find.

20. ravedodger

ravedodger

I'll store it for you.

But really, I'd just get it running and safe.

21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's a blank canvas right there, awesome find. Kustoms let your imagination run free

22. skidsteer

skidsteer

Love that grille. I vote for a Nailhead under the hood.

23. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

That is a COOL ride, i can remember as a young boy my aunt having one,they had a sound all to their own.

24. Obsessedwithchop

Obsessedwithchop

I agree with what grapp said see what your going to need to get the thing road worthy and you will be surprised with how well these cars handle. I'm running my original gear in my 59 buick and bagged and wouldn't upgrade for nuthin.

25. stlrider

stlrider

No Camaro clip. Buickmike has a 53 buick 4 door that we put a Camaro clip in. The clip is real wide and you have to run about a 5" wide wheel. He just scraped the whole frame after running it for a year. It was bent from being wrecked along time ago and dog tracked going down the highway.
    The new frame is from an 80s Monte carlo and stretched 13"s with a 350/turbo 400 setup.

Nice find and post up progress pics.

26. roaddog

roaddog

i love those buicks and the grills are so cool!!i have a 52 pontiac that i channelled over an full size olds delta 88.it was alot of work but i now have a reliable ride that goes anywhere and i can get parts just about any place also. and that is what i wanted.just remember make a plan and do whatever you want!

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice that you found a 2-door, and even nicer that you found a hardtop...Riviera. Good luck with your big beautiful Buick.

28. jonny56

jonny56
    from monrovia

i've got a fiddy three special. rockin a straight 8 and dynaslow tranny. check out bobsautomobilia.com and oldbuickparts.com. good luck on everything with that sweet buiee!

29. I agree with what a couple of other people have said..that stock front end isn't terrible, and someone does make a disc brake kit for it to, if you want to go that route. Dual quad nailhead in your future? Gotta love those toothy Buicks.

30. Griznant

Griznant

Nice lookin' find! Looks pretty solid, and that grille is just bitchin'.

I would say get it running, get it safe, and rock it like it is. I wouldn't mess with the frame, just upgrade the brakes and fix what's broken. These things are pretty stout, and it's never going to be a sports car so just enjoy it for what it is.