Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering a 62 caddy sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caddy_hoks62, Mar 2, 2010.

1. caddy_hoks62

caddy_hoks62

So i got my springs out my caddy while i fix my rear locator arms and i was orginally going to get lowering springs from orginal parts group but after talking to the tech support he pretty much told me their springs would leave it the same height or even raise it.. because my springs are the orginals from 62. i only want to set it down about 2 or 3 inches i have 3 inch side pipes i dont want them to drag. so any tips on how much to cut or ways to lower it id really appreciate it.

2. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

One rap front and rear will do er.

3. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Wrap not rap, or coil

4. caddy_hoks62

caddy_hoks62

do i need to build something or make a groove for that coil end to sit in since the orginal springs are flat on top?

5. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Called Eaton Detroit Spring yet?

6. ryno

ryno

jamco makes a 3" lower spring also i believe.

7. srfd132

srfd132

I put the Jamco 3" setup under my 64. They went in well, rides nice, and looks bitchin. Little spendy though.

8. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Cut off the bottom, it works like a dream

Attached Files:

9. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Thats a bit more than one coil on my 62

10. DeVille Gal

DeVille Gal

Ken lowered our '57 Caddy with Eaton Springs,,,,PM him at Slick50 to find out what he used.

11. Bent

Bent
    from Canada

A little simple math can be your friend. In most cases most double a arm front ends have the coils about half way between the pivot point and the wheel giving you a 2:1 ratio on what you cut from the spring. What that means is that whatever linear height you remove from the spring will be double at the wheel. So if you cut 1" of spring (from the non flat portion) the car will drop 2". I've done my last 4 cars (64 LeSabre, 66 Catalina, 67 Riviera, and 62 Montery) the same way and it's been spot on first time every time.
    [​IMG]
    If the spring is directly on the axle out back then the ratio is 1:1 so 1" of spring will drop it 1"
    Good luck and have fun!
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

12. caddy_hoks62

caddy_hoks62

thanks a lot guys, i really needed some tips

13. This is gunna come in handy soon. Hopefully Ill be scooping up a 62 Cadillac.

14. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Hey, if you let the air out of the tires she will sit pretty low! Works every time!

15. Worked on my 54 Cad

Attached Files:

16. caddy_hoks62

caddy_hoks62

Ok update time now... So car is down on all fours now. so i took a a coil of the back and a coil and a quarter off the front. now remember i have 3 inch side pipes. my starting measurements were 6 inches up front and 7 inches in the back. Now that it is sitting down im at 5 up front and 6 in back i only went down an inch. ill give it another inch to settle that i had the springs out. so if i didnt have the pipes it would be sitting pretty high still so take that in to consideration when your lowering your caddys. So now the springs are coming back out at going to get a quarter cut off all the way around so itll end up a coil and half off the front and a coil and a quarter off the rear. Also when your doing your own cut off the tops of the springs both front and back and grind them flat so the sit nice and square since there is no grooves for them to sit in. any questions or comments let me know thanks.

17. caddy_hoks62

caddy_hoks62

well im put all new bushings and ball joints in up front, so i did some more cutting to the springs... i cut a little over half a coil off so the front is about 1 and 13/16 coil off the front the rear is going to get 3/4 coil cut off that so hopefully ill have like 3 inches between my pipes and the ground ill post a pic when im done.