Register now to get rid of these ads!

cutting/drilling an SAE 45 degree fitting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Milhouse, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Milhouse

Milhouse
    from RI

I've tried searching hi and low for this answer and I have yet to find what I'm looking for... so I'm trying the HAMB!

I'm looking to find out how an SAE 45 degree fitting (standard US brake line flare size) is made for the FEMALE side of the fitting, not the male/line side. To the best of my knowledge some sort of form tool or special drill bit is used. Is there a place that sells this tool? Or is this the type of tool I would need to make myself if I needed to make this side of the fitting.

This is mostly just a question out of curiosity but it started when I was redoing my truck and found that one of the brass brake fittings is no longer made by any manufacture (as far as I can tell). It's a relatively simple part to machine, as long as you have the correct knowledge or tool to make the female SAE fitting. Fortunately I was able to make the original part work, but if it'd be possible to make a new part that would be nice.

Thanks for the help!

2. my guess is that it's a special cutting tool. i'd like to have one too

3. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] these are the form tools needed

4. Deuces

Deuces

Them look like port tools... We used those alot at the shop where I worked at... Not sure of the size though.......

5. i've been studying that picture and the Tosco website and i don't see how that thing would cut the seat for the inverted female flare

http://www.toolspecialty.com/

6. Deuces

Deuces

The seat gets cut first by a separate end-mill then the port tool........

7. ironpile

ironpile

My guess is it`s a 2 step process, 1 drill and cut threads with first pass,2cut the flare with appropreate cutter.

8. designs that work

designs that work

When I was building my modified I wanted thru the frame fittings with 1/8 inch pipe on one side and the 45 degree set on the other side. Using a dremel grinder I cut a drill bit and tape to make the seat. Here is a picture of the drill bit. Neither side leaks.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just curious, what is the part that needs to be duplicated?

10. Milhouse

Milhouse
    from RI

Found it! http://www.tristareng.com/j512.html I just sent them an e-mail to get a quote for a few of their tools. Thanks for all the help - it really helped narrow down my search and finally find a supplier for the tool. I am pretty surprised that more people don't carry this tool. As soon as I hear back to the cost of the tool(s) I will post up.

Gimpy, the part that I was trying to duplicate is a small brass block that attaches directly to the end of my stock master cylinder. There are different ways of running the brake lines and using different junction blocks, but I was trying to use as many stock parts as possible at the time. I don't have the assembly manual with me to scan in a picture of the part, but the block only seemed to be used on 1955-1959 Chevy 3200 trucks (half-ton, long bed), not the short bed nor the heavier trucks. For such a simple part it bothered me that it wasn't reproduced or the tooling wasn't readily available to make my own.

11. Gsmith06

Gsmith06

I am looking for the same thing. I have a 1/2 x 20 port on the master cylinder and need to make a 90 deg bend (ideally to a 3/16 line fitting) within 1" I have been unable to find any banjo fitting small enough and no 90 deg SAE flare fitting.

I'd be interested in the same tool. Maybe rent/buy it from you after you are done with it to defray the cost.

12. have you checked into the banjo fittings offered by Pure Choice Motorsports?

http://www.purechoicemotorsports.com

13. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Some use a secondary seat that presses in.

14. NorthRiver6478

NorthRiver6478

Hi...I know this is an old post...Did you ever buy a tool to mill inverted fittings...If so i have a question.

Thank You
    Tommy