Register now to get rid of these ads!

Miller Syncrowave 200 or Dynasty 200 TIG ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FalconMan, Mar 2, 2010.

1. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

ok .... last week I was looking at buying a new Miller Diversion 165 or the Syncrowave 200. You guys talked med into the Syncrowave for good reasons.

However, this week I am looking at a used Dynasty 200DX. This uses inverter technology that makes it lighter. Has more options for frequency and wave shape.

My concerns are the reliability of the electronics and the value of the features over the syncrowave. Anyone have any words of wisdom with regards to either of my concerns. The size and weight are not as important to me.

Doug

2. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

If size isnt an issue I wouldnt spent the money on a Dynasty. Because for the money a syncrowave can do much more being an AC/DC machine not just DC like the dynasty. I think the syncrowave is a superior machine for the money. I'm saveing for one now. Ive seen both in action and know people that own them. you really cant go wrong with either, but with no size issues id defiantly go for the syncrowave.

3. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

The dynasty is an AC/DC machine. That's why I'm interested in it.

4. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

yeah sorry what was I thinking, getting confused with the maxstar
    Just my logic is if you dont have the size constraint you can get a syncrowave runner set up with water circulator if you go to the 250 amp range (worth it) for just a little more than the price of a dynasty. but the syncrowave 200 loaded runner is cheeper than just a dynasty power supply
    cheapest place ive ever found miller welders and free ship is www.cyberweld.com
    they have been around forever (under a different name) Back in the day they were real a** es lol used to be known for stealing welding tanks owned by other companies, my Dads company lost a few tanks to them back in the day.... But they are the cheapest and business like that is probably why

5. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

I've got a Dynasty 200dx, and it's the best 3k I ever spent. I'm not gonna lie, I'd be wary of a used inverter machine, just because of the electronics and the cost involved in fixing them.

The machine I spent most of my time on when I was learning was a Synchrowave 350, and I loved that too.

Either welder will work, but the Dynasty is definitely a nicer machine. You can't beat inverters for aluminum or stainless.

6. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

With either machine is the cooler necessary for limited welding while building a car ? I can understand for production work, but as a hobbyist is it money well spent ?

Yep, my concern with a used machine is with a warranty. I can buy it with a cooler and a bunch of accessories for about the price of a bare machine. It only has a few hours on it. Don't know what to do .....

7. LPRS

LPRS

i have been a tig welder for 8 years, and i would have to say that both the synchrowave and dynasty are awsome machines. building headers, intakes, patch panels, radiators and intercoolers, etc in a one car garage with two atv's a 48" finger brake, weld table, bead roller, chop saw, etc doesn't leave any room for a big welder. so i just bought a dynasty complete package, a 150 bottle of argon and a filler rod, tungsten, collet, cup assortment to suit my needs and i have less than $5k invested. and its the size of a windows 95 era computer on an action figure (we don't have dollies in my shop). i would go with what you have room for.

8. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Naw, you don't need one. I don't even have one right now. I would like to get one though;)

9. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

I mean you can get away with no cooler new torches have been coming out that can handle 200 amps but they are limited on duty cycle compared to what the welder can handle. Most air cooled torches historically max at 150 amps after that for regular welding a water cooler is a good investment. I lose track of how long i been welding when i get into it and i currently only have an air cooled torch and man it gets hot and can really crack some cups if not careful. But a rated 200 amp torch will cost you more than a basic torch but its still only 1/4 the price of a cooler and water cooled torch. I think if you are going to fork out for a 200 amp machine at least down the road plan on adding a cooler they are worth the money.

sorry I am a person that spent almost as much time selling welding supplies and equipment as i have actually welding. Must be the salesman in me lol but they are nice

10. If I had to choose, I would probably go with a new Syncrowave over the used Dynasty. I would love to have a Dynasty, but buying a used TIG welder is scary to me... especially considering how much they cost. The Dynasty has great features for a serious welder, but the Syncrowave is more than plenty machine for home use. Unless you can verify who's used the Dynasty and what kind of work it was used for, I'd pass on it. At very least find out when it was purchased, because it may still have a warranty, and it should be transferable. Also, check with Miller to see if it has any record of previous repair work. You can plug those things in pretty much anywhere, so they do get abused. Although you may never need it, the warranty on a new one is worth it just for the peace of mind...in my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  11. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

Been there done that!
    Got myself very confused over the same two about a year ago. I was leaning toward the 200dx mostly because of the size of the syncrowave. By the time I wandered onto the Miller website and started reading the blog, I found way to many complaints about the 200dx. Most said the machine worked good at 1st and then something changed. Lots went back to Miller for service and Miller seemed to be claiming they were ok. Very hard to sort out 'cause most of the buyers were not very experienced at tig.
    The guys at Airgas looked at me like I was nuts and said they had not heard of these issues but I became to worried about it to buy one. I wound up getting sort of lucky and found a Dynasty 300DX that someone traded in and they gave me the full warranty on it. It was more $ than both of the others but it solved the problem and I love that machine. Honestly, if I had the floor space, I would have bought the Syncrowave. I've never heard a bad thing about them (besides size and weight) and the school where I got certified has several that seem to be indestructible.
    Hope this is of some help-

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use my Syncrowave 250DX (1 previous to current model) just about every working day, and for the last 7 years. Yeah it is big, but with the water cooler, I can weld everything that I weld at 100% duty cycle, for as long as I can physically stand to. No trouble whatsoever and worth every penny.

13. rowdy

rowdy

make sure if it is used, and you dont know the person selling it, that you get the serial number and check it. Lots of those coming up stolen. I looked at one locally a few weeks ago, it needed a couple of small things but was still cheap, i checked for parts at the supply store came back as a stolen unit. I aint one to worry about that kind of stuff normally, but if i buy something then it gets taken i might get a little upset. Both are good machines, i have several of each. The 200sd at least, only difference being the pulse setting, but cant really go wrong.

14. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

I own a Syncrowave 200 and love it! Like mentioned before a water cooler isnt really needed if your just a hobby welder. Although it would be nice sometimes... I feel that the Syncrowave will allow you to do pretty much anything you can think of at the hobby and mild production level. I have welded with a few different machines in the past, and truly feel this is the best one.

Mike

Attached Files:

15. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Thanks for the advise guys. I am still on the fence post :confused:.

I will only be welding on cars, sheet metal and chassis work. An occasional use for aluminum. It just seems that the Dynasty has more options with the frequency adjustment, duty cycle, and waveform shape. Not having TIG welded more than a hour or two previously (Not good I might add, being a great mig welder does not make you a great tig welder) I am not sure if these waveform options are really needed.

My goal is to make good structural welds that look nice. It appears from what I read the Dynasty allows you to set the bead width/penetration better with the waveform controls. Is this all BS or is there an inherent advantage of this control ? Would it work better on butt welding sheet metal ?

The dynasty I am looking at has low hours, but is 5 years old. My concern is that it has not benifited from perhaps design changes from any design issues thay might have had early on. I should look at the SN.

I too have asked people who use the dynasty in a shop environment. Everone says they are great. I read on line of the horror stories of the $2000 repair bills due to an electronic failure.

Still confused...... the safe bet is a new Syncrowave.....

16. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

The adjustments on the Dynasty aren't bs, but they aren't "necessary." I love being able to set my pulse up over 100 pps on stainless to control the warping, and the the hertz adjustments are super nice on the aluminum. When I had access to both the sync 350 and the Dynasty for aluminum, it was the Dynasty every time.

But yeah, I'd stay away from a used machine. If I was in your position I'd get the new Synch or save up for a new Dynasty.

There is a Diversion 180 coming out soon. It'll be an upgrade on the 165, and you can use 110 or 220 power.

17. I have the same machine Would not have any thing else.

18. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

ok .... I called Miller today. 99% of my welding will be with steel. The frequency and waveform options only apply to aluminum.... duh. They claim that most 'good' welders would not know the difference between the two machines when welding steel if they were doing the 'blind' test. I will order the syncrowave 200 new rather than take my chances on an electronic Dynasty. If I move to aluminum in the future, I'll upgrade. ir cooled torch will be just fine for now. Thanks for your comments !

19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I can't speak for the Dynasty, but when my school bought us a new Synchrowave 250, my welding improved instantly. I've welded with that machine hundreds of hours, and it is an absolute beast. I will own one myself one day

20. thechopperguy

thechopperguy

I love my Syncrowave 200 - I think you'll be happy with your choice. I haven't seen a need for a water cooled torch - yet.

21. Jeff J

Jeff J

I just got again a Miller syncrowave 351 . Loved it when I had my shop and kinda new how to use it. that's why I went back to the miller and did buy it used! Had other Miller products at the shop and never had problems ! ( wire feeds ,plasma cutters) I looked for the last 8 months for one and finally found one on E-bay w cooler and pedal and 2 torches for $ 1500.00 Just at the right place and the right time !

22. harleyracer

harleyracer

I have had a syncrowave 300 for the last 26 yrs no problems if you cant weld with it give up!!!

23. i bought a used Synchrowave 250 w/Bernard cooler and a 150 amp torch,was used in light production about 3 years ago and i've had absolutely no probs with it! my tig welding ability has improved immensely especially w/aluminum...i paid $1400.00 bucks for it best damn money i've ever spent!!!!

24. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Well, today I ordered a new Syncrowave 200. Not bad for $1936 to my door. I will need to build a cart for it that will be able to wrap the cords up on, store welding rod, extra room for a cooler, and a spot for my plasma cutter. I thought the wheel kit for an additional $200 was not worth it.

Thanks for all the great advice !

25. thechopperguy

thechopperguy

Good choice. It's great to have a good TIG welder, but now there's some good news and some bad news. The good news is that anyone who comes to your garage will be impressed when they see the big blue machine. The bad news is that now any of your buddies will come to you when they need aluminum or stainless welded. Ask me how I know. :)

26. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Funny .......

Last year I bought a rim clamp tire machine and a dynamic wheel balancer.... I got more new friends in the process.... funny how that works :)

27. thechopperguy

thechopperguy

I quit telling people when I get new tools.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Um, yeah, no. You just told 98,000 people.

29. Rivet

Rivet

A little over a year ago I looked around for an inverter machine and after mulling it over for months I decided on an HTP Invertig 201. I know, I know, its not in a blue casing but I was working on a VERY low budget and even had to stretch the budget big time to afford the HTP. I have nothing but good things to say about the machine and the company, I did HOURS of research and am glad I got this machine instead of the Diversion that I originally started looking at. I have used it almost daily at the motorcycle shop I work at for over a year and it has never missed a beat. Italian made.

I will say, no matter what brand, Inverter is definitely the way to go. Using almost no amperage out of the wall in comparison to a transformer machine, the compact size, and the frequency setting is awesome.

http://www.htpweld.com/products/tig_welders/tig201.html

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  30. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Start charging more than beer and pizza and that stops pretty quick ;)