Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Rod Shop, Columbus, OH Stickle & Riffle still around?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsrocket, Feb 24, 2010.

1. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

Does "The Rod Shop" still exist as a business in Columbus anymore? I know that the Rod Shop cars show up to a few events here and there around the area, but didn't know if the place is actually still in existance. I can't find and info for it or location or anything.

2. driversroad

driversroad

I was under the impression that Jegs bought the Rod Shops and then blossomed into what it is today.

3. frank spittle

frank spittle

Bob Riffle moved to North Carolina and worked with some NASCAR teams for a while and also Barry Grant. He and Bob Reed are pals and are planning on attending the Super Stock Reunion in May. Reed is one of the honorees.

4. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

5. A fellow by the name of Kirk,dont remember his first name ,owned the Rod Shop an sponsored several cars in those days

6. waynus

waynus

Gill Kirk was the head of the Rod Shop. Jeg's predated the rod shop. Jeg stated at 11th avenue I believe in 1958 or 59 in the far east side toward the freeway. the total area was where the chassis shop was on 11th. Don't badmouth me for some error in dates, but I believe the rest is correct. Jeg's was started as a graduation present from his father. that is what Jeg said he wanted was to start a speed shop.

7. waynus

waynus

To continue the thread, those were the days for drag racing in central ohio. Jeg, Ed Echard and Karl Kirk, Blackwood Sheetmetal, Stickle and Riffle, Virgil Cates,Schroyer, and others provided some real gasser wars. I know I am omitting alot of quality gassers from the area, but maybe a few of you guys can fill in some of the other gassers from the cental Ohio area.

8. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

I'd be interested in seeing any info about these fellas and their cars. I'm working on building a gasser and live just north of columbus. I'm an import into "central" ohio by way of Dayton (Ohio George Montgomery's town). But consider Columbus home. Trying to get an idea of what the pulse was like around the area back then and hoping to reflect some of it in my car. I'm 30.... so I was a little late. haha

9. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

Any info out there?

10. The Rod Shop Stickle & Riffle '48 Anglia is alive and well! It has been restored by a good friend of mine near Charleston, WV. Attached are a couple of pics of the car during restoration. The car was finished last summer and displayed at the Hot Rod Reunion at Bowling Green. The car is slated to be on display at The World of Wheels car show in Huntington, WV, March 5-7, 2010 at the Big Sandy Arena. I have forwarded this thread to the owner, so hopefully he will respond with more information. He has extensive knowledge and information on the car's history.

Jim

Attached Files:

11. Artie B

Artie B

Here's a shot of Jegs anglia during the build up in 98/99 for upcoming reunion event they sponsored. This is a clone of his original car...

[​IMG]

12. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Why is it that when these cars are restored so many of them are wearing modern day wheels? Cragars, Hallibrands, ETs , all these wheels are being reproduced aside from the fact that originals are not hard to find.

I'm not taking anything away from this Anglia because it looks like a great restoration and maybe its just wearing the 5 stars during the resto but I hope it ends up with what it had originally. Sorry for the rant but thats something that has always bothered me when it happens.

13. brandon

brandon

i gave the owner a hard time about this , when it was being painted at a buddys shop...those bogarts just kill it.:D..also told him it should have been either the other red , white & blue scheme or the green version:rolleyes::D

as for the jegs car.....thats a austin:D

14. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Whats the irony of having the wrong wheels and then there called Bogarts! :eek:

Reminds me of that old tune " Don't bogart that j**nt my friend, Just pass it around again" :cool: sorry, but I did have alot of fun in my younger days:D

15. Artie B

Artie B

as for the jegs car.....thats a austin:D[/QUOTE]

Correct...my brain was not functioning and was still in anglia mode from reading the previous post

16. agasaustin

agasaustin
    from Ohio

What kind of gasser are you building?

17. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Gee I dont know how I missed this thread? I can answer just about any questions about the Rod Shop and Jegs as I am in touch with the Jegs family and also Gill Kirk. I see alot of the old racers also, I just did a job a coule weeks ago for Clyde Suttons daughter and she gave me her dads number, I plan to call him soon and talk about his old racing days. She told me he and alot of the old racers from this area get together for lunch, I need to check that out also.

18. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

FYI Bogarts are a brand of wheels...

19. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So what happened to the Rod Shop and its owners?

I have a case of old Hot Rod magazines that have a nice feature article on the Rod Shop race team. Picked it up at National Trail back in the 70's.

20. angliamac

angliamac

I agree with the wheel comment. I really like to see the period correct wheels on cars. Another real peeve is why anyone would go to all the trouble and expense to restore a classic old race car and use VINYL lettering! :mad: I saw Ohio George's 33 Willys a few years ago at Indy and it had vinyl lettering. Other than that, the car was very cool.

Would really like to know more about Rod Shop history.

(Long time reader, 1st time poster)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  21. KARL WORTMAN

KARL WORTMAN
    from AKRON, OH

Gil Kirk. a successful businessman who lived in I beleive Blacklick, Oh ( Outside of Columbus)... Also I beleive that Blacklick is also the community Butch Leal lived in whil driving for the Rod Shop

22. KARL WORTMAN

KARL WORTMAN
    from AKRON, OH

When I was in High school back in the mid 70's I used to hang around Arlen Vanke's shop. After Arlen had sold his last Pro Stock, ( A 73 Duster that was sold to Charlie Castaldo, and ran as the "Fun City Flyer", and then sold to Jim Kinnett who raced it as a Duster and a year later reskinned it as a Volaire ) he had built a Modified Challenger for the Rod Shop as well as drove one of their Dart Sports for a short period of time. A friend of mine who worked for Arlen was sent to Columbus to pick up the Hemi that they built for the Challenger, and I was fortunate enough to go along for the ride. The cars I saw there when I arrived there was FANTASTIC. Saw the original 340 Colt wagon, a 64 Super stock they just finished, Mike Fons' championship Pro Stock Challenger. But the " icing on the cake" for me was they had their 1st Hemi Powered Colt. I just wish i had taken my camera back then.

23. easttown

easttown

I grew up about 3/4 of a mile from the Rod Shop. I knew Bob Riffle,along with several other of the driver/builders. They also built engines for customers,I remember they built a hemi powered 67 Camaro for a local guy. They also had a second sales store on Morse rd at Karl,in about 1971...but it only lasted months.
    I saw all the cars they built,and even raced against some of them at national trails,in time trials,,a real honor!

24. GTX70sixpack

GTX70sixpack

I grew up close to the Livingston Ave. speed shop and Ray Noltemeyer was my neighbor. Stickle and Noltemeyer had a 40 something drag car when I first moved next door and within weeks the Colt Wagon showed up. It was normally towed with a 65 Newport wagon on a open trailer but on at least 2 occasions it was hauled in the Dodge Rod Shop truck. I also see Jim Thompson if he's in the shop working on a claim. When I got divorced in 93 I stored my GTX in the 2 car garage they used in the 60's and 70's. There were no remains of anything rod shop, only a pair of homemade widened steel rims and a few chevy engine parts.

25. bkhpah

bkhpah
    from Latrobe PA

I was told that the Rod Shop also raced a 1969 Daytona Yellow Yenko Chevelle during the possible 1971/2 era? It had black painted lower rockers to highlight the racing stickers. Does ANYONE remember this car or have a picture...BKH

26. gasbag

gasbag

For some interesting photos of some of these cars go to
    quartermileclassics.wordpress.com

27. nitro1

nitro1
    from ohio

Jegs never bought the Rod Shop Gil Kirk sold everything off and closed the doors

28. nitro1

nitro1
    from ohio

29. Snip's

Snip's

Saw this thread and just joined H.A.M.B in order to post a little update to this old thread...
    My FIL was Tom Blackwood, owner of Blackwood Sheet Metal in Columbus, Ohio...
    Tom passed away last year and I've been going thru some of his old photo albums from his racing days... The locals knew Blackwood, Eckard and Kirk as the "Flying Fat Boys"...

Here are a few pic's you guy's might enjoy... Wanting to get this history saved before it disappears...

IMG_2438.jpg

RenderedImage.JPG

Tom Blackwood is the fellow in the middle with Eckard and Kirk, I believe taken at National Trails Raceway out by Kirkersville east of Columbus...
    RenderedImage 2.JPG

Blackwood Willies in Bristol Tennessee
    IMG_2443.jpg

70111418702__42D215A4-4499-4A51-A039-E3BE4AE9A0DC.jpg
    Made it on the cover of Car Craft...
    Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.03.22 AM.png

30. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

How 'bout Paul Day?