Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thinking of going with a red-oxide...any thoughts/pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flyingbohemian, Mar 2, 2010.

1. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

SO I'm thinkin about going with a matte red oxide primer look...for now. My thought is also to hand paint "pikey brewing co." on the doors(name of the micro brewery me and my buddies are trying to open). I wanted to give it an "aged" look, like this was actually a beer delivery truck from the 50's. Any thoughts? Also, I;d love to see some pics of trucks with a similar paint job for inspiration.

Attached Files:

juan motime likes this.
  2. To be perfectly honest I won't paint the truck primer red,,in fact it looks pretty cool as is,,just add the name of your brewery and that's really all ya need.

There is a lot of fading and smudging that goes along with red primer.

But that's my .02 cents worth. HRP

A Boner likes this.
  3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No...can't be. You're not really thinking of priming that truck are you? Looks great the way it sits! I have a feeling I may be biting on a hook here.

4. r8odecay

r8odecay

Going about 10 steps backward in my opinion. Plus, PLAYED OUT.

5. Master of None

Master of None

Leave it alone. It looks great as is, take it to a sign painter and have them paint your logo in old time script.

6. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

Honestly, I would just change the wheels to something more retro and leave it alone.

The primered, rusted, patina, fake work vehicle thing is getting very tired. Just have the brewery name painted on properly and leave it alone. Afterall, all those old work trucks had fresh paint once!

A Boner likes this.
  7. 61 chevy

61 chevy

YOU ASKED, NO,NO,NO,:eek:

A Boner likes this.
  8. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I personally would leave it, but if you do primer, I prefer Ditzler's Kondar red oxide primer color versus cheaper looking hotrod red primer colors. Drawbacks are in time primer fades when exposed to sunlight and none of them look good. I'd letter and go for natural patina with existing paint. No pics of Kondar color sorry.

9. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

I appreciate the thoughts, but if you get close on this truck, it's not good looking with the high gloss paint...lots of dents. Plus the previous owner thought it's be cool to put a bunch of accessories on this truck, including a "283" badge...on a truck equipped with a 400! Also, a badge saying "streetrod"...that's like putting a badge saying "bicycle" on your bike. Either way, it's gotta get re-painted, and I'm not the biggest fan of real glossy rides. I like a matte finish, and have seen several tones in the brown to re-oxide look that I've liked.

10. Rain_man

Rain_man

i say do it if that is what you like
    you are the only one that has to like how it looks

11. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

I like Red Oxide ! :p
    [​IMG]

12. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

Kuztom...looks awesome! How can someone not like that?

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

very played out.

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

That's a neat truck...I think your plan sounds great..Maybe some older steel wheels and maybe wide whites and you'd be ready for the season........

15. spudsmania9

spudsmania9
    from Arkansas

I think red oxide is great for a "less than perfect" body. Glossy paint on ripply metal makes a good 60 MPH vehicle. Looks good going by at 60 MPH, not so good when you take a closer look. Red oxide is okay.

16. adam401

adam401

16" steel wheels + 3" chop + redone shiny paint + bumpers = badass truck. lettering optional. Your welcome.;)

17. Philbilly

Philbilly

Attached Files:

• 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      515.5 KB
      Views:
  18. I've got it, and it's fine for now....until I finish the bodywork. It's prone to fading, grease and sap spots show up easily, and if you use a pressure washer on it you can see the fan pattern after it dries. So you wash it again. Then again.

But for now, I like it.:)

19. How about semi-gloss in some other color? It'll hide the dents a bit better than gloss, and it's not as played out as red oxide. I think old delivery trucks look good with a matte or semi-gloss medium blue. Other than that, how about you barter some beer for some bodywork to straighten out that truck? I'm sure you could find a taker on here.

20. wvenfield

wvenfield

................Or painting your truck red oxide with fake logo's on the side.

The red oxide is going to do what? Hide the dents?

Maybe you can get one of those crying dolls and dress him as a beer delivery driver also.

21. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Could you get a matt finish paint that is the color of red oxide primer, but isn't actually red oxide primer?

22. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

Doesn't primer absorb moisture?
    If thats the look you want, spray some red basecoat over the truck and then shoot a few coats of flat clear over that. All the red oxide primer I've seen was lacquer, not the kinda primer you'd want to put under (or over?) a nice paint job.

23. uc4me

uc4me

you could repaint with single stage paint with a flattening agent added (don't know if you can put flattening agent in clear)

24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

It is yours and you should paint it any kind or color you want......Definately loose the wheels though.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  25. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

Whoa, really? You should take some time to read, as you'd see that it in fact isn't a fake label, but will become our breweries truck in parades and shows, etc. And no, it will not hide the dents, but dents certainly look better with a primed look. The whole point is to make it look "aged".

Didn't know yall felt so passionate about your anti-red-oxide movement you've got going on here.

Bottom line, it's all in the eye of the beholder, and it's funny when everyone says its played out, when every time I go to a show, I see way more glossy candy apple rods...many of which have almost identical paintjobs.

26. Kerry67

Kerry67

What isn't ??? Do what ya wanna do.

27. r8odecay

r8odecay

Dude. You asked for thoughts and opinions. You got them.

28. The real question is whether your beer is worth a shit or not!? Some stiff competition with Town hall, Surly and others up in the cities. If you REALLY want patina, why not start with what you have and do some wetsanding with 400 grit or so? Fake yes, but the good jobs are very artistic.

29. mac762

mac762

If you didn't live so far away you could park your truck out in my pasture and we could install some bullet holes in it too. :)
    I drive a red oxide primered El Camino everyday (it came that way), if it were shiney I'd leave it alone.
    It is your truck, and red oxide primer is the best color of primer. I doubt if a beer company would have painted their logo on top of bare primer back in the 50's. You truck wouldn't even have been that old back then.

30. 40mel

40mel
    from SoCal

Here's mine before (yellow) and after (satin brown prime), in my opinion way better.

Attached Files: