Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lone Star Round Up 2009--Eateries, Bars, etc--links included

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fish Tank, Nov 2, 2008.

1. speedmetal

speedmetal
    from houston

2. borndead327

borndead327

cant go wromg with kerbys
    our family treat on sundays...........every sunday lol

steer clear of rudys unless you like craptacular bbq

3. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Thanks! This has been a work in progress for us, we know we don't have every place listed, but there are just so many.
    Remember, anyone have a question, shoot me a PM.

~Jef

4. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

shady grove on barton springs Rd has the best chili that I have found in Texas.
    and is a cool old place
    www.theshadygrove.com
    dirty martins is very cool great burgers and there steak sandwich is great
    and it`s a old drive in my dad use to hang out at in the 50`s
    www.dirtymartins.com
    and you gotta check out the cathedral of junk ! south Austin at it`s fineist
    http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/7816

5. lowlife_slim

lowlife_slim

Home Slice Pizza is a must have. it's on Congress, so it will be super busy at night, but if you can wait till after 9pm, grab a slice from the street service window. you will not regret it... it's one of the things i look forward to every year.

also, a great cruise spot on Sunday morning would be Round Rock Donuts. saw this place on Man vs Food, and their donuts look amazing. never been there, so maybe someone can attest to it.

6. wrenchrocket

wrenchrocket

Round rock donuts are ok But I can tell you I live across the freeway from them and the line isn't out the door

7. Deadend

Deadend
    from Austin, TX

Ii'm partial to the Ritchie Valens burger over at huts hamburgers for some grub, and the dirty dog on 6th is a nice place to booze it up

8. Thanks for the thread. As a Round-up first timer from out of town, this thread will sure come in handy.

9. Church

Church
    from South Bay

I get there right about lunch time tomorrow. Wonder how many of those places I can cross off my list in a weekend? Can't wait!!!!!

10. jimb0

jimb0
    BANNED

im gonna go to the bar then buy me some cowboy boots then go back to the bar then go to the firing range and shoot some stuff, then head back to the bar

11. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Hahaha, sounds like a great weekend to me, Jim!

I have to credit those of you that sent us PM's and posted on here with your questions. Because of the questions we were asked, is why there are places to find boots, a firing range, music, ideas where to stay, etc.

This was first just gonna be a "burger & beer" kinda thread but it's grown into so much more.
    We are SO glad this thread has been a help to those that needed something like this.

Remember, especially AFTER the show and your stay in Austin people, send me ideas, concerns and requests for this thread for Round Up 2010! This will always be a work in progress and I will continue to revamp it as needed!

And I ain't thin-skinned either! If you see something on the thread that is 'funky' to you, confusing or something that could just be 'done better', speak up!

Now, BTTT!!

Hope to see you all at the show!

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'm arriving tomorrow evening so will start with dinner at Home Slice. We can have a race to see how many places each of us patronize this weekend. My greatest feat will be to see how many different BBQ places I can convince my posse to visit.:D

13. FIRING RANGE (INDOOR)
    I have a couple of friends in Brisbane,AUS and since I'm aware of their gun-ban (wtf?), I figured I would add this as well for all of you coming in from countries that don't let ya own your own firearm. Figured this would not only be something to talk about once back home, but a great way to blow off steam---I'm thinking of you guys that won't be bringing your car with ya and will not be able to 'boil the hides' in the street.
    RED'S GUNS:
    http://www.redsguns.com/
    They have guns you can rent and fire at their range. They are open SEVEN days a week and from 9am to 9pm! (this would be a great filler for the time between the RoundUp [I noticed most started leaving about 5pm] til you go to the Bars).

Jef,
    What a great post.....and I love the Guns addition(being a bit of a gun type guy myself:rolleyes:). A lot of folks wouldn't have touched that subject...Thanks for adding it.
    Shoot fire, I grew up on the outskirts of Austin, and didn't know of some of these places you listed.....along with shaking my memory of some of the good ones:D!
    And Casey.....the Yard Art Cathedral.....WOW....I've got to go by there!!!
    One great post.....thanks to all that added to it!
    Skot

14. 21tat

21tat

Thanks for the info. I had to leave Texas cause the food was so good. Can't wait to put on a few pounds this weekend!

15. krooser

krooser

I HATE Austin... too much food!!!!!

Me and Cliffy and Louverdude will be there Friday AM after a non-stop blast down from Cheeseland in a fuckin' Volkswagen diesel... Huh?

16. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Ok heading out tomorrow just was wondering where there are good breakfast tacos in Austin....?

17. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

[FONT=&quot]Pretty much every 20 feet once you hit downtown.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If you’re on the road, Rudy’s isn’t local, but they make good breakfast tacos.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]This place has an almost cult-like following - http://www.tacoxpress.com/tacoxpress/index.html It’s on South Lamar, there’s a giant Mexican/Indian lady on the roof. Hard to miss.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There’s another place over on Cameron road, but I can’t think of the name right now.[/FONT]

18. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I cant wait to get back to Austin just to eat those Red Velvet Cupcakes that were just up the hill from the Continental Club......mmm mmmmmmmmmmm

those were good!

I hear all the food that comes outta those little silver trailers is good - gotta check out more next year!

19. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Wow, is it already 2010?
    Guess I shoulda left the year out of the title so I could modify it each year.
    Anyway, all the info is still here, so read away and print it out!

Hope all have a safe trip.

Jef+Laura
    Now, BTTT

[​IMG]

20. Diamond49

Diamond49

Bump. Great information for this year. Hell ya, we're going to Austin.

21. BUDDY HOLLY

BUDDY HOLLY

what about austin speed shop is there going to be a get together there.

22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks for this

23. geemann51

geemann51

Tony you coming this year? Sure would like to meet you in person...

24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'm thinkin' about it, and a couple of buddies are interested in driving down too. It's scheduled opposite GG Del Mar, which I had intended to do this year, so I'll probably make a choice based on the group's decision.

25. geemann51

geemann51

Ahh I kow the dilemma well, we usually host a couple San Diegans and that is always a tough choice. Let me know if you make it...

26. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Bumpity Bump Bump Bump

27. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Your avatar scares the shit out of me.

28. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Heh, ya know, it was just the topic of conversation last night with a local car buddy of mine.

29. seriouslybaby

seriouslybaby
    from small town

any good sushi places to go?!?!

30. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER