Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone fabricated Model A Roadster doors from new door skins?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63CadGuy, Feb 26, 2010.

1. I'm starting to gather parts for a '28 Model A roadster and I need doors and I don't really want to spend the big bucks to buy a couple of rusty doors if I don't have too. So I started wondering if anyone has fabricated a set of doors from a set of new door skins? If anyone has could you please let me know if it's worth the trouble and what, if any pitfalls did you come across, thanks.

2. My uncle fabbed his from old refrigerator doors, OLD ones, the ones with the round tops--i.e. 50's models. They have similar curvature. His was a '29 though....

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

4. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

5. 65 impala

65 impala

check with odd builder he canadian i think he may have

6. tinmann

tinmann

Just working from new skins, you'll have no reference to the hinge pockets. The angle of the A and B side pieces are not set 90 degrees to the skin. The skin is quite floppy and needs to be crimped over something with the right profile. I think you'd be wise to start with original doors albeit rusty. They aren't all that hard to fine.... Ford made a bizillion.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Check with Brookville on the price of new ones. Not that you have to buy new but then you'll have a reference when you consider the time and cost of materiel to do it yourself. Thier stuff is spot on so if you did go with new you'd have pieces that you knew were right.

Frank

8. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

I agree. Starting from nothing is going to be extremely difficult. Better to get some truly horrible rusted out doors, and use them as a guide to make up some completely new doors from scratch.

9. Well, a guy I just bought a frame from has some doors that he won't part with, but he did say I could use them as reference and he only lives a couple of miles from my house. Do you think that between using those doors and the roadster body it might be a little easier?

10. I THINK they are about 400.00 a pop plus shipping...not too bad if you got nothing at all.

11. I just checked and they are $525 apiece.

12. I was closeish I guess! Prices have gone up from when I was checkin on em (few years back!!)

13. Yeah, as much as I love to just fork out the dough for a set my finances don't allow for it.

14. tdoty

tdoty

With skins, a body and a set of doors for reference, you should have plenty of information to build a new set of doors.

Go for it!

Tim D.