Register now to get rid of these ads!

Auto X Street Legal Sprint Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haychrishay, Feb 24, 2010.

1. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

shouldah unlocked the rear

2. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Depends on how he built it really.

It could be way over 60%, or it could be way under.

I notice you sure don't have a rubber deficiency on the front of that one though. That'd be a good place to start on that Silver Crown too. 8" slicks on the rear with 4" treaded tires on the front makes for a bad traction balance to start with.

None of this really matter though, 'cause wasn't this video from like 30 years ago?

I think we may be debating the set-up on a car that may not even exist anymore. lol

I get into some pretty pointless debates sometimes, but this one might be a bridge too far, even for me. :D

3. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah, your right...

But its pretty interesting.

And its a cool car...:D

4. ngafreeride

ngafreeride
    BANNED
    from Georgia

that would be so much fun on the street. some wild left turn at intersections

5. I actually OWN a concept like that. All it needed was a differential to get it to turn. Mine was a street legal project and yesssss, I did take it out through the 'hood a few times.
    No stagger, a Frankland quickie, with a spool.

Just pushing it in the yard was hard with the spool in it. Straight was easy, turning was not.

6. It was/is a great street car. Dad put hundreds of road miles in and out of town on it.

I think that this only proves that a racecar setup for one kind of racing may not perform well in another type of racing. But to be critical because an open wheel dirt champ car does poorly in a tight paved roadcourse is like criticizing a wrench for being a poor hammer. DUH! I aint mad, I'm just sayin... :)

7. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

I love those old Super bodies.

Hey Metalshapes, where'd you come up with that Mallock?

That's a neat old missile. Mid-Late '60's right?

How long have you had it?

8. skull

skull

My friend toby has a street legal sprint car. my cousin steve built it in 1982.
    the frame was manufactured in bremerton, washington in 1969.
    the local track changed the rules to newer style cars. steve had it converted and rebuilt in about 6 months.
    when steve passed away in 1986 the car sat in storage till 1999 and toby restored it, and this year he is rebuilding and updating the car for safety and performance.
    toby use's it in parades, car shows and a working push vechile for the sprint cars running up and down the west coast and eastern washington and eastern oregon. it's cool to see a sprint car pushing a sprint car.
    every town he takes it to push at the local track, he plays "how long till l get pulled over?'
    the current record is 6 minutes in Euphrata, Washington.

later

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  9. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah, its a Mk6.

Mid '60s

I've had it for more than 20 years.

This is when I bought it.

Mk6.jpg

Took me 5 years of searching and calling used racecar dealers to find the right one.
    I wanted a early one with split I-beam front suspension, the Mk 6 was the last type to have that.
    And it had to be in need of restoration ( for me to be able to afford it )

I bought it in Dover, England.

10. haychrishay

haychrishay

Thanks for your comments, you are right on on the "pushing like a pig on ice". I loaded another video of me in my 69 vette with the camera mounted on the car its a blast to watch on a big screen! that is under Get in Sit down Shut up

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010