Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

The Reading shots, continued....Rich

Attached Files:

2. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Finished with the appetizer, Now for dinner...

Attached Files:

3. Buildy

Buildy

Just got the e-mail alert. Awesome photos Rick!

I met the guy who owns the #36 car now at Hershey in October. I have his card somewhere,I must tell him about these shots.

Rick,I just noticed that is Toby Tobias in the Wergland #36 dueling with Opperman.
    Sweet!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  4. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Lee Osborne was a great racer, a thinker, an innovator and a unique car builder. His cars back then (1974) bear a strong resemblance to a car that came along later in that decade. It was the Wayne House, R & H Farms car #40 that the late, "Pride of Kearney, MO," Eddie Leavitt drove in the MidWest and later driven to a clean sweep of the 1977 Western World in Phoenix and the very next week in Los Angeles at the Pacific Coast Open at Ascot Park by Ron Shuman. Of all these very creative and unique designs of cars over the years, take a look at what they're still running today, 35+ years later???------A standard, traditional, cross torsion 4-bar chassis; both wing and non-wing.

5. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

A dessert buffet....Rich

Attached Files:

6. cars5752

cars5752

Saw a few photos of the Capels car. Here are a couple of it in current restored condition. The car, in it's final days of racing was made into a downtube car. In 1999 Mr. Capels sold it to Tony Epperson of Epperson Painting in Indianapolis, Indiana and to the best of my knowledge it was last raced in 2000 Little 500 and driven by Bobby Smith. The car at that time was yellow with a red #8. They lost a motor and finished 29th. The current owner recently passed.

Attached Files:

7. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

What a wealth of knowledge here. I wasn't 100% sure that it was the Capels car but I knew it wasn't your run-of-the-mill 4 bar. My personal theory on why innovative designs fade away is that when you're the only guy running it there's no else to help you figure out the setup. When everybody's got a 4 bar car there's bound to be someone who will give you a straight answer on what spring rate, preload, shock, stagger etc. to run.
    Interesting to note that the rear Jacob's ladders are gone on the restored 21 car.

8. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Looks like a great asphalt car. Good engineering.

9. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Back on post 9838 by sm66p the last picture is misidentified.

[​IMG]

This is 1958, not 1960 and that is Johnny Thomson on the pole with Tommy Hinnershitz on the outside, Van Johnson in the 2, Jiggs Peters and Dick Linder row three, and I believe Red Riegel in Beletsky's 22. I do not know who is starting third in Caruso's car.

10. racer5c

racer5c

actually Joe Saldana broke the track record qualifying in it at Terre Haute ON THE DIRT on his first lap, the car broke on the second lap oh yea and at that time it had an iron block 355 in it running against aluminum 410's

11. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Shorty Templeman?

12. Racingphotoguy

Racingphotoguy
    from Wisconsin

I have a bunch of photos, I love looking here and seeing all the old sprint cars. Stuff back then had character. Thanks to all for posting, this makes winter go faster!
    Ralph

13. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Thanks for posting the picture of the 1 and 56 cars. It brings back alot of memories. I helped Lloyd Shores build the 1 car before his deal with Joe Marsh went south.

14. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Roy;
    Its still great engineering; i dont doubt it worked good on dirt also. I just meant that we tried several different types of springs and bars which worked far better than cross bars. It sure is a great looking car.

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The recent disscusion of stock block roadsters replacing the current Indy cars brought to mind some early attempts of the SBC replacing the mighty Offy in the early 60s. 1.-the Helse Spl. of 1960. Featured on the cover of HRM, even with Al Keller at the wheel, it couldn't get up to speed and was a DNQ. 2.- The San Diego Steel Prod. roadster of 1961. The quintessential Indy roadster IMO, it couldn't get up to speed either and never ran the 500. It was, however, campaigned as a Champ car sporadically through the 60s and it's best finish came on dirt at Nazarath 1969. Much more succesful as a sprint car in the 70s. 3.- The Grizzly Brake Spl. of 1962. Somewhat ballyhoo'd in the media at the time, it featured a right side engine offset (?) antique drum brakes to oblige the sponsor and mouse trap valve springs that supposedly would allow 10,000 rpm. Nicknamed the 'Torture Lab' about the only thing it probably tortured was those who invested money in the slug. Never qualified for a race but did run a consy at Milwaukee.

Attached Files:

• h1.jpg
      h1.jpg
      File size:
      40.2 KB
      Views:
    • sdsp1.jpg
      sdsp1.jpg
      File size:
      136.7 KB
      Views:
    • sdsp2.jpg
      sdsp2.jpg
      File size:
      173.1 KB
      Views:
    • gb1.jpg
      gb1.jpg
      File size:
      197.9 KB
      Views:
    • gb2.jpg
      gb2.jpg
      File size:
      85.9 KB
      Views:
    • gb3.jpg
      gb3.jpg
      File size:
      113.9 KB
      Views:
    • gb4.jpg
      gb4.jpg
      File size:
      260.2 KB
      Views:
  16. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

That valve spring sure is a mess, I guess the idea didnt take off...

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

YES! please.

18. cg5

cg5

sm66p
    Where were these taken? The #93 in the shot with Greg Weld is his brother Jerry.

Curt Grogan

19. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Don't tell Ferrari that.

20. noboD

noboD

We'll let you know when we are tired of pics. THANKS for posting everyone!!

21. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody out there knows how to contact ebay by phone. Some low life piece of shit is selling copies of some of my shots from the dirt modified thread on ebay,I just want to stop this idiot from making money by stealing everybody photos for profit....Thanks Rich

22. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

We cant get too many!

23. racer5c

racer5c

There are some pictures earlier in this thread of me in the car at Eldora, it was my first time in a sprint car. Vogler won a C.R.A. Pavement race in it. When the car was being built the plan wasto put a Supercharged Cosworth in it, it was going to run WoO but the outlaws outlawed the engine before the car was finished

24. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey guys,thought I'd let you know that sundays picture posts were my last posting due to the lowlife that poached my pictures then is selling them on craiglist and ebay. Originally started posting these shot for your enjoyment and to bring back memories of a great era of sprint car racing,but when a piece of sh-t steals them and sells them, I'm done, thanks to mr Exite for the heads up with his post # 4746 on the modified site And a BIG THANKS to all you guys for all the kind words while I've been posting...... THANKS AGAIN RICH!!!!!

25. Ebert

Ebert

Rich,

Sorry to hear some lowlife is doing this. We have all appreciated what you have done for us, but I can tell you that I personally understand your decision. Damn!

26. racer5c

racer5c

Could you put copyright and your name on them? At least it would make it harder for them

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Very sorry to hear that RABs32.. I really enjoyed your stuff. It just takes one ass hole to ruin it for everyone. :mad: Let us know if E-gay helps you out any in putting atop to it.

J Shaw

28. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I agree Rootie... One of the BEST LOOKING ROADSTERS EVER!

I had the pleasure of re-painting and touching up the aluminum nose off the car last week. (Dave runs the car hard and rock chips and dings happen)

Just to ride down the street with that nose piece in the passenger seat made me smile... :D

Attached Files:

29. weathrmn

weathrmn

Rich, contact Joe at the 3widespicturevault.com. He was having the same problem, somewhat fixed.

30. Paul Martens

Paul Martens

Rich, I am new to HAMN but still wanting to contact you about the Flemington Champ car photos. thanks, Paul Martens