Register now to get rid of these ads!

1948 Ford F1-?? no ribs just flat cab below back window.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cbsales, Feb 27, 2010.

1. cbsales

cbsales

I have noticed that the back of my cab on my 1948 F1 there are no ribs
    it is just flat. but on the 49 I had and the 50 there are three vertical ribs below back window. any info on when the ribs began and are all 48's like this???

thanks guys

Attached Files:

2. I have a 48 without, a 49 with, and a 50 with, usta have a 51 with. 48 running boards are slightly different also. No idea if it was a mid-year thing or not.

3. mtflat

mtflat

I've got two '48s and neither one has the ribs. One is a low serial number and the other is a very high serial number.

If I had to make a guess it seems to be a '49 change along with several other minor things.

4. I have two 48's, both have flat backs, no ribs,...had others, a 50, 51 & 2, all were flat. Wonder if it was a regional thing.

5. Peterooster

Peterooster
    from New Jersey

My 50 is flat.Pete

6. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I've found it depended a lot on what part of the country a truck was assembled in as to what was used. There doesn't seem to be any set rule when it comes to the Ford trucks of this era.

Mid '50 was a major changing point. The running boards seem to change to the type without the extra flange that went under the cab about this time. The raised panels on the boxes, along with the corresponding rear fenders came about and the shifter moved to the steering column in the mid '50 model year.

At last count I've had 16 '48-52 trucks and there were variances in everyone of them.

7. cbsales

cbsales

thanks for the info.........appreciate the input.

8. My understanding is that the raised panel bed, notched fenders and curved stake pockets went aways mid 50 in favor of the flat side, straight pocket no notch fenders type bed?

9. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

I always thought the chassis cab trucks got the ribbed rear panel while the "bed" trucks got the smooth panel. I guess I was wrong all this time. Anyone else want to add?

10. davis574ord

davis574ord

49 is the first year of the ribs they didnt do it on every truck cause they were made in different plants

11. mtflat

mtflat

One of my flat back 48's is an F6 grain truck with hoist.... it should have been a chassis cab truck.

12. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

I'm curious now as to what was the deciding factor as to why some got flat panels and others got the ribbed panels. Just called my buddy John who owns an original '49 pickup and he swears his is ribbed. Oh I got it now, ribbed for your pleasure! Steven.

13. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I had a bunch of 48-51 cabs over the years and I do not remember have any with the ribs. The only difference was the early cab had a small rear window.

I have two setting right now. Now I well have to go look at them.

14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i have a 50 ,no ribs.but i have a 47 stude p.u. m5 i think, and i swear the back of the cab looks almost like a ford cab, well the way it meets the top.anyway it has ribs. is there any connection between the stude and ford p.u.s other than they both are p.u,s. beat you to it didn't i. i wished i could post pics but ............:rolleyes:

15. limp

limp

Mine is what i beleive to be an early 50, i have ribs on back of cab and smooth bed sides. i wonder if canadian models are different? My grandfather had a ton of years in with ford, it was him who made me beleive it was a 50. Now I'm wondering......

16. 53floored

53floored
    from kansas

I have a 53 ford and mine has ribs that taper at the ends my dad has a 55 and his stop flat weird how they made little changes on these cabs.

17. hamz52

hamz52
    from so cal

My 1952 has 3 vertical ribs in the back.