Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Much Have You Gone Over Budget?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Feb 26, 2010.

1. indyjps

indyjps

Budget is only important to me if Im planning on selling / flipping the car or piece Im working on.
    I dont go overboard, I look for deals, I dont pay too many people to do things for me.

I used to flip cars alot, buy drive sell to keep something cool in the driveway and come out a few bucks ahead. The cars im building now are for me.

2. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

I have twice what my wife thinks I have in the car and 1/2 what I think I need to put into it. I budget each build for $1 million, haven't gone over yet.

3. az67goat

az67goat
    from Mesa, AZ

If you have limited income, it's good to have a budget. Never heard of anyone meeting the budget, but that doesn't matter. As said before, at least it is worth something.
    I went 5k over my budget after I spun a bearing in the engine I thought was good...:rolleyes:

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Maybe it's time for a little perspective.
    Awhile back some friends of ours invited us over to celebrate paying off their morgage. We went and had a good time. That is until one of the guests made an observation. He noticed that both of the homeowners smoked and he asked how many packs a day for each. After the numbers were crunched, guess what? If the owners hadn't smoked for the duration of the mortage they could have bought the house next door along with thier own and had a nice little retirement investment.
    Point being, you make your choices and hopefully you can live with them. For me I've never smoked or drank so I figure anything I spend on my hobby is somewhat justified and I feel no remorse. Your mileage may vary.

Frank

5. firingorder1

firingorder1

Yup.

6. sawzall

sawzall

[​IMG]

UNDER budget..

before paint.. [​IMG]

7. firingorder1

firingorder1

^^^ Under budget and oh so over coo!!

8. NOTCH

NOTCH

For my Cars, there no such word as BUDGET!!! thats the way i feel.

9. thinkfink

thinkfink

I know the feeling. Right now I got 4 times as much as I originally intended in it...till it is finished?..5 times at least...
    But the point of no return is gone...so I gotta finish it no matter how.

10. roughidle

roughidle
    BANNED
    from iowa

I don't really have a budget when I build my cars. I try to spend as little as possible to get what I want. I do keep track of what I spend and have never lost money on a car.

11. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Before I started the Kripple Kart my sanity was seriously in danger.She helped me regain that sanity.I call that under budget,whatever the cost.
    Paul

12. Damn right,:cool:

13. woodman

woodman

I'm over budget the minute I start my build. I also know I only go around once. But that first start up and initial ride, takes the edge off the loss.

14. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Most of my cars have cost about 3 times their original budget, and taken 3 times as long to build as my original plan.

But I have one car that Ive had 15 years, pulled apart too many times, changed too much stuff and its still not finished and its cost 5 times the original budget and taken 5 times as long as I planned.

But I have kept a lot of people employed or in beer tokens over the years. :)

I figure if I can finish a car on time, it may be on budget too.

15. unclerichard

unclerichard
    from Michigan

I haven't yet gone over budget, but then I didn't set one either. I have spent what I did, and will until its the way I want it. Yes it is taking me a while, but it will be PAID for when I take that first ride. No bills to clean up, and have done ALL the work myself

16. unclerichard

unclerichard
    from Michigan

Right On with this one. I have said before that if you smoked you can't have money problems, because that is a choice you made, and your body doesn't need the smokes. The way I have seen it is to look at what you can hang on to when you get done spending the money. With the car hobby, there is a value left, whatever it might be. And with smoking you have???

17. inkmunky

inkmunky

A great satisfaction :D

I know how much money i've wasted over the past 7 years smoking (pack a day+ habit, especially with the tax increases jumping pack prices up $2 over those years).... approx $12,740........... damn that's depressing... thanks guys haha

and yeah i probably could buy or build a car... but any smoker will tell you it's not easy to quit, probably one of the hardest things to do in life. :eek:

Either way that's a bit off topic but a good point.

18. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same here ,and that way if my wife puts me under truth serum I can't spill the beans cause I don't know. But all the Labor is free ,as its my own.

19. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I gave up smoking and drinking many years and builds ago,so my hobby is basically my only vice left besides riding my Harley.

20. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

How far over budget???....

ONE DOLLAR!!!

.....then the budget was recalculated:D

21. rixrex

rixrex

22. HRod 50

HRod 50

This Wins for Best Answer!!!!!!!

23. HRod 50

HRod 50

Sorry Guys, I introduced myself in the social groups I joined, but I guess I forgot to do it here. I will do an official introduction after this. I went in for a 6K Bag job, and then tis is what we found.. That's my inner rocker panel, ( Looks nice huh? ), and thats the outter rocker panel, oh yeh that is rain gutter. :(

So that among other things led to my frame going on the rotisserie..

Attached Files:

24. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

I dont have a budget......well mainly because my bank roll is so low, had to sell my grandma's cobalt she gave me to buy the 53, and rebuild the trans, and the other odds and ends crap to get it going. Now to finish the car like i want i have all the parts need, the ones i dont, i can get from work on charge to them. So in all, once finished the car will have taken $6,000-$7,000 dollars, and thats after i get it fully painted as well.

25. I kinda figure it this way about spending money on my cars: If I really love what I do, and it doesnt get in the way of paying the bills or family emergencies, then I figure its my business to not know because thats when a budget gets in the way of the enjoyment. Capish?

26. mj40's

mj40's

A friends personalized plate simple says- 8mywalt

27. I took the tried an true approach by purchasing a complete, running, done car and proceeding to tear it apart and start over "my way". That was in 1991. It's getting closer every day to what I wanted. Just one more change (this year). I have a file cabinet that I put all my receipts in (well most). I never look in that file cabinet.

28. Why would you care. Are you having fun yet? Does it feed your creative needs. As long as you can pay your bills and eat, dont spend a second worrying about what your rod costs. If you do next you will be worrying about how many miles per gallon it gets. Hot rodding should be free of all that nonsense. Have some fun man ! Life is short.
    Don

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  29. Dave50

Dave50

Thanks for posting pics I thought you were with the IRS and obamas new anti HoT Rod project :p

30. cowboy.3d

cowboy.3d
    from Austin TX

Hell, just the garage rent puts me over budget!