Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hard fuel line

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flypa38, Feb 27, 2010.

1. flypa38

flypa38

Hey guys. The long section of steel fuel line that runs along my frame finally started to leak. Do I need specific fuel line or can I use brake line? One of the simplest things that I've never done!
    Thanks,
    Johnny

2. Domino

Domino

Brake line can take in excess of 1000 PSI, fuel line only needs to take about 5 PSI. Brake line will work fine. Auto parts stores sell it in long sticks with flair fittings on the ends. Figure out how long you need the piece and get the pieces that equal that amount. I always use a union instead of a compression fitting to reduce the chance of leaks.

3. GasserDave

GasserDave
    from Sin City

Brake line is expensive..Id get fuel line for cheaper. EFI rubber line is good because it has a plastic liner. I like hard line but you can use whatever..Checker auto parts has all types of tubing...

4. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

I like to get bulk fuel like (the stuff that comes in a roll) and do as much as I can in one piece. The less unions and coupelings you have the fewer places for a leak. It can be a pain in the butt but it looks clean and I feel better knowing there is less of a chance for a leak.

5. Buy the sticks, they come in 5 or 6 feet. The stuff from Carquest NAPA or otther places is pretty universal, use 3/8s". On most cars you can run one from the tank to a frame mounted filter. I liked the Delco GF62C but that is no discontinued. Then run one stick to a bulkhead by the pump. You then use flexible line to the pump. No extra fittings needed and you get a clean instalation WITH a good filter.

This is what a lot of folks use in place of the GF62C

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1501/

This one from Jegs is lots better. Rebranded Marine or diesel filter.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Fuel-Filter-Water-Separator/1171917/10002/-1

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010