Register now to get rid of these ads!

EFI on 351C Brilliant idea or hair brained scheme?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dcstreetrods, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Misfit

Misfit
    from Upstate NY

I usually try to mind my HAMB manners, but since the topic came up....

Megasquirt all the way. Don't even bother trying to use a stock setup, the Megasquirt is cheaper and way more flexable. Plus, no MAF sensor to mess with. You can be as creative as you want for an intake system with a speed density system, which is what MS is.

I converted a 302 truck intake to run a bug catcher and kept the stock injector locations and fuel rail. Take the stock harness, cut all the connectors off and make up you own harness from scratch. It's way simpler than trying to trace out and "wire diet" a stock harness.

I think it would be really cool to have a 65 year old dude pull out his lap top to "add a little timing"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5667717502673971944&hl=en

Attached Files:

2. I like the idea of hiding EFI.

Traditionally, forum moderators manage content:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_moderator#Moderator

"Forums are governed by a set of individuals, commonly referred to as administrators and Moderators, which are responsible for the forums' conception, technical maintenance and policies. Most forums have a list of rules detailing the wishes, aim and guidelines of the forums creators. There is usually also a FAQ section contain basic information for new members and people not yet familiar with the use and principles of a forum.

Rules on forum usually apply to the entire user body and often have preset exceptions, most commonly designating a section as an exception. For example, in an IT forum any discussion regarding anything but computer programming languages may be outlawed, with the exception of a general chat section.

Forum rules are maintained and enforced by the moderation team, but users are allowed to help out via what's known as a report system.
    Most American forum software contains such a system.<sup id="cite_ref-12" class="reference">[11]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-vBFAQDTU_13-0" class="reference">[12]</sup> It consists of a small function applicable to each post (including one's own). Using it will notify all currently available moderators of its location, and subsequent action or judgment can be carried out immediately, which is desirable in large or very developed boards. Generally, moderators encourage members to also use the private message system if they wish to report behavior. Moderators will generally frown upon attempts of moderation by non-moderators, especially when the would-be moderators do not even issue a report. Messages from non-moderators acting as moderators generally declare a post as against the rules, or predict punishment. While not harmful, statements which attempt to enforce the rules are discouraged."

3. H.R.charlie

H.R.charlie

Check out www.ronmorrisperformance.com.He helped me with an efi conversion back in1998 and it has performed flawlessly since then.If you really want something cool do an efi conversion on webers there is a set on ebay for 2k and make them efi.Good luck.

4. Weasel

Weasel

I heart drama queens :eek: so spread the love!:D

5. 8flat

8flat

Very well put.

6. Racewriter

Racewriter

That setup completely kicks ass! I assume that the bugcatcher functions as the throttle body, and the TPS is attached to the butterflies?

7. Abomination

Abomination

Gemini EFI in Defiance, MO does this kind of hidden setup. He's on the HAMB.

Also, Mooneyes no longer sells those 97 look-alike injectors. And their computer sucks.

The folks that were doing that for them have their own company - here's where you'll find them:
    http://www.retrotekspeed.com/products/nostalgia-efi/

I also have some emails, and have talked to several folks in the business. ;)

~Jason

8. panic

panic

its way more reliable

Exactly which parts can be fixed on the side of the road with a Vise-Grip?
    EFI is the #1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. cause of towtruck wealth in new cars.

9. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

Actually EFI systems are very fault tolerant. About the only things that will completely them, would stop a carby car too. Like no ignition, or fuel pump failure. A dead injector is no worse than a dead spark plug, and most of the sensors are redundant. EFI systems are not as fragile as many people think.

10. Manic Mechanix

Manic Mechanix

I adapted Ford EFI to my blown 331 Chrysler Hemi that resides in my 48 Plymouth Gasser. I used two 5.0 ford throttle bodies on top of the 6-71 blower and I hid the mass air flow sensor in the bug catcher. The injectors are on the intake manifold mounted on bungs welded to the manifold runners and fuel is injected below the blower with no problems running the blower dry for 10 years now. I made a custom adapter and lengthened the distributer shaft to adapt the Ford EFI distributer to the Hemi. I was quite successful hiding the EFI wires and sensors so that most traditionalists don't even notice. In fact when I take it to shows most guys ask what kind of "carbs" those are on top of the blower. When I hit the starter, it lights off immediatly in any weather and compensates for any changes in altitude. The Ford EFI will self tune all the way up Pikes Peak. As for EFI non-traditional...? Chrysler, in fact, offered Bendix Electronic injecton in 1957. If you have any questions just P.M me. Thanks, Jeff.

11. Mark T

Mark T

It might not be traditional or traditional looking but with a little work you could adapt a 351 Windsor EFI intake to your Cleveland. Check out this link.
    http://www.detomaso.nu/~thomast/efi/

12. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

There are a few vendors that have TBI setups that bolt directly to a square-bore four barrel manifold. Some are MAP, some are MAF, and most have feedback from O2 sensors. A friend of mine has run one on his truck for years, and can't say enough good about how well it works. It won't look like a cluster of 97s, but with a decent sized air cleaner on top won't look much different that any other 351C.

Good luck with your project.

13. repoguy

repoguy

Not trying to be a dick here, but it's kinda funny to me is that guys make this argument about the HAMB only being a forum for traditional hot rods and customs, usually in regards to a questions about an ACTUAL FAST CAR OR ENGINE not being appropriate to discuss here, and then in the next breath they're contributing to some 5 page long thread about dead country music stars, skateboarding, tattoos, some gay rockabilly lifestyle bullshit, asking for prayers for their dead dog, or whatever....like that crap has ANYTHING to do with traditional rods and customs.

And hey, maybe you should tell Ryan that he's not allowed to post anymore stuff about Ferrari's, Porsches, or Formula 1.

14. Johnnie Davis

Johnnie Davis

If you were around in 1964 I'm sure you didn't see any 351 Clevelands either! You would not be seeing many Hilborn injected "Period correct" "Old Skool" gassers running around on the street today either. Lighten up!

15. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Could i get more(much more) detail on this? If the "traditionalists" don't approve then if you could pm me that would be cool.