Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotrodlarry

hotrodlarry

Donnie Ayer passed away last January. His daughter lives just up the road from me.

2. These are some newly found photos belonging to Mooresville,NC'er,N.B. Arnold. He lived in Roanoke,Va. as a kid and took these photos at Starkey Speedway in Roanoke, and at Franklin Co. Speedway in Calloway,Va.. Early '70's photos and good stuff. We never see photos from Starkey.
    This is the first photo I've seen of the Hensley car with the Rebel flag on the back, just hard to find stuff! Thanks N.B.

Attached Files:

3. More of N.B. Arnold's pics. Like dying and going to heaven for the southern-mod lover! Wayne Johnson in the #52, the #45 driven by Gerald Compton, Hank Thomas in the #0 and #21.#26 Paul Radford. Previous photos are #10 Lloyd Ashby,#00 Gerald Compton(not Ashby), #12 max Berrier, #07 Hank Thomas, #22 (all) Billy Hensley.

Attached Files:

4. The rest of N.B.Arnold's collection. #57 Johnny Bryant, #88 Monk Tate, #63 Jimmy Hensley, #64 Harold Martin, and the #26 Paul Radford on the truck.

Attached Files:

5. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Radford46,
    Thanks for the pics! I remember seeing that Billy Hensley 22 w/the rebel flag at a New Yorker 400 at Utica-Rome Speedway. Very cool car, I thought, though he ended up in the front stretch wall that day. Eddie Flemke practically lapped the field in a Richie Evans back-up car. Hadn't seen that #52 coupe before, but it is waaay cool...love the look!

6. Utica-Rome was Richies home track wasn't it? Flemke's too?

7. George I was thinking maybe it was all the snow today....But if all 3 driver race together at some point this year at Riverhead.....Bowman Gray has "Madhouse"...we'd have "The Nuthouse"

8. [​IMG]
    Doug Coby
    [​IMG]
    Doug Garrison
    [​IMG]
    Doug Hevron

9. [​IMG]
    Donny Wayman
    [​IMG]
    Don Whalen
    [​IMG]
    Doug Garrison

10. [​IMG]
    Danbury
    [​IMG]
    Danbury
    [​IMG]
    Donnie Newell

11. [​IMG]
    Don LaJoie
    [​IMG]
    Don Yeingst
    [​IMG]
    Doug Garrison

12. Shawna Robinson did good in that series, wish I saw them at dover too :O)

13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I remember they modified them a lot toward the end of the series. I got to flag them once at Atlanta and once at Nashville when they were still full-size ten-wheelers. Quite an experience.

14. I wish I saw them run anywhere! Love the shot of Freddie's coach. I think that is the first photo that I can remember seeing of it. If not, remind me with some more photos of it kid.

Pops.

15. I believe it was Smokey and The Bandit III, horrible movie, 1st was funny beacuse of Jackie Gleason's qoutes. They showed shots from Atl. here's more from youtube Atl.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQPh0asoPb8

16. Joe Cala

Joe Cala

Here is another photo of Harbach's Coach coming off the track at Islip. Joe.

[​IMG]

17. Johnnyone

Johnnyone

Watched that truck race, it was great, forgot they used to race those things.

18. As they started changing those trucks to more racing style, Shawna's dad and her brother started taking the old trucks around the country. They would show up with 7 or 8 trucks and let the local drivers race them. then at the end of the night, her brother would jump some cars with one of the trucks. I have a VHS tape of my wife driving one of them on a dirt track in California. Way too cool.

19. BillyTKidd

BillyTKidd

20. In Europe they seems more organized with them, the trucks are a lot nicer, the US trucks were like rusty nails some of them and some of them were amazing equipment.

Back to some mods!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. [​IMG]
    Dick Dunn
    [​IMG]
    Doug Stange
    [​IMG]
    Dover, NJ 1947

22. Terry1

Terry1

One of the best looking cars ever !
    [​IMG]

23. Joe, thanks a bunch Brother!

24. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

Gil Hearne, former Maynard Troyer Pinto.

Wall Fan12 likes this.
  25. [​IMG]
    check out the chop job
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. [​IMG]
    dubrul at otter creek
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.