Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was the purpose of this

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spobanz, Feb 25, 2010.

1. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

Here's the jacked-up look on a '66 Goat circa 1971

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  2. 1320/150

1320/150

That is is the worst tri-five I have ever seen!!! This thread is nauseating!! Fucking sunroofs, shackles lets start a van and vw thread. I am constantly confused here on this sight. I would DEFINITELY consider this whole thread OFF TOPIC!!! I haven't seen a car in this thread I wouldn't consider a piece of shit!!!

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with you, rockyfarmer. Had a 1970 Roadrunner jacked up front and rear. Slotted mags, and about 3" to 4" of rear rubber outside the wheel-openings. Wish I still had it.

Tell me this doesn't look tough. I like it a lot better than "layin' frame".

[​IMG]

4. daddylama

daddylama

this is seriously the best thread i've read in a long time. my stomach hurts from laughing...

and reminiscing...
    hell, i'd have forgotten half the stuff...

had me a Duster with one mis-colored door, rockin the tsx8 6x9s on the back deck, kragen booster to really make that distortion loud, ass end jacked up with air shocks and some home-made shackles, BFG white letters on 15x10 fake cragars on the back, stock wheels on the front, leaky headers with down-turns on some glasspacks, garter around the mirror acting like i was getting some pussy (not a chance)...
    and let's not forget chrome dress up kit on a clapped out 318, and the shift kit so it could chirp into 2nd...

senior year in high school...
    got some wild idea, trying to show off... got moving pretty good in reverse, pedal floored, dropped it into low. lots of smoke, some shaking, and one of my fucking back wheels CAME CLEAR OFF THE CAR!!!!. the wheel bounced and rolled pretty good. right up to the point where it knocked over some chick and her friends threatened to kick my ass.

a couple weeks or so later, the wheel back on the car and shaking like a sombitch because that wheel had big-assed washers holding in on after the above ordeal... front bumper straight fell off, ran it over, tore the drive shaft off. while i was on a date. with the chick the wheel had hit. and she still put out.

man, those were the days. chicks with real low expectations and even lower standards, gas under $1/gallon, one paycheck to make any car a sweet ride, no responsibilities and lots of cheap beer.

5. chrisclarkcustoms

chrisclarkcustoms
    from las vegas

Air shock and shackles... must be a TPL

Attached Files:

6. Yeh...not nearly as cool as the broken frame/ wrecked suspension look that has gotten so popular over the last 6 or 8 years. :rolleyes: It'll always be one extreme or the other, to varying degrees.

I never did the shackles. In '84 I had a '69 Mustang fastback with the wide 60's in the back. I had Gabriel HiJacker air shocks to raise the car up enough to not get wheel rub goin over speed bumps. Stupid air lines were always popping off. :D It had a nice stance, though...basically a rubber rake.

7. Aw , the 70's yup in remember them , barely, my high school years. I remember all these things and the fact we thought we looked so cool, my Road Runner only had the air shocks and what a bitch when you had a leak my L60's got ground off !!
    The 70's was a statement in in what NOT to do with a car its a wonder those cars and us survived. Rob

8. I had a 58 impala with front springs crammed in the rear solid not any give. those dual glasspacks ended at the rear axle. Had a reververbeation from the exhaust noise. Later i put the leaf springs on top of the axlehousing on my 56 ford victoria for tire clearance. Im gonna jack the 55 chev i have up on both the front and back. for ground clearance and so i can get under it easier. and also just because i want it that way.:eek:

9. Oh Aaron, let's not forget that in the 70's these cars were plentiful and dirt cheap. Hell, I bought a 57 convertible running for 250 bucks. And a 2dr hardtop for 35 dollars without a motor. Guess you just had to be there.:)

10. 46binder

46binder
    from Kenosha,Wi

A bunch of my Matchboxes even had adjustable rear suspension, you could jack the rear up higher. My brother had a AMC Gremlin with small Cragers on the front, wide tires on the rear, rear jacked up, yellow traction bars, and a big whip CB antenae, Steely Dan and Pink Floyd on the radio.

11. little d

little d
    from sedalia mo

"back in the day", my cuz had a 71 dart. he bought a 69 rt that we took the running gears out of and swaped into the dart. the rear end had the leaf spring pads on the bottom, we wanted them on top for more clearence, and the jacked up look. we turned the rear end over and mounted it up like that. he had the fasted car in the world......... going backwards, lmao.

12. 1320/150

1320/150

I don't want to remember 70's and 80's themes...(I was there!!) That is why I frequent the hamb. I remember looking through my autorama brochures from the early eighties wondering why people would do this crap to a perfectly good car (I was only 6). Just because something happened doesn't mean I want to look at it!! Of course this my opinion you don't have to like it!!!

13. History has a way of being horrible at times.....:eek:

14. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Car #1,(1963) hand me down '51 Plymouth Cranbrook 4dr. My friends and I would jack the front up and stick 2x4s in the front suspension to make it a "gasser". We knew it was stupid and totally retarded. We didn't care, it was fun. You could drive a bit, then hit a bump and one 2x4 would fall out. Then we'd try to knock the other one out on railroad tracks so one corner wouldn't be about a foot higher than the other one. Real stupid, but a lot of laughs.
    Car #2 (1964) '56 Ford Vicky, flipped rear shackles, glasspacks, two chrome straight tailpipes with small flares on the end, exiting under the axle. Super loud..but some work done on the 312, better heads, iron 4bbl intake that took a Carter AFB, chrome wheels, and probably stuff I don't remember now.
    Car # 3 (1970) '64 Falcon Sprint, hotted up 302/C4, shackles, L50 Mickey Thompsons i think they were, air shocks, rear axle painted w/ horizontal red and white stripes and a blue center with white stars, 8 track under the dash (many compliments on my killer sound system! ha!), Thrush mufflers, Grant wheel with thick black foam padding, spray window tint, etc. At one time I went with a set of Firestone Indy tires on the back, they hung outside the body about 8 " or so. Looked awful, couldn't keep the car clean. Off they came. I had the L series tires stuffed inside the wheel wells by rolling the lips and beating the inner fender in 'til it touched the quarter panel skin. It actually looked kinda good, and was the biggest set of tires I ever saw tucked inside the wheel wells of a non tubbed Falcon. It handled really well, and would turn sideways in a cloud of smoke when I romped on the gas. :DSold it to buy and build a '29 A sedan. Wish I had the Falcon back more than the '29. It was the first car I had that I felt came out in a really good way for handling, power, etc.. If I drove it now I wonder if I would still feel the same way?

15. narducci

narducci

Tell me this doesn't look tough. I like it a lot better than "layin' frame".

That 57 is badass

16. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

Hard to own up to..........been there done that, almost spit coffee all over the keyboard when I saw the comment about painting the rear-end white, been there done that too. It was definitly the style in the late 60's early 70's. Air shocks and longer shackles seems like overkill, usually didn't need both. Reminds me of some of the "Rat Rod" crap that gets posted on here, there is nothing "right" or "traditional" about those cars either, but in another 20yrs. somebody will find a "Rat Rod" and say "what were they thinking"

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  17. You have to forgive me Aaron, when I read your profile, I thought you were too young to have lived through the 70's. Everybody on HAMB is a gearhead, our love of 4 wheels, or 2, or 3 maybe, is what has brought everyone here. I'm pretty sure, someone took exception to young people skinning down cars for as long as there have been cars. When I see a thread drifting in a direction I don't like, I simply quit reading it. This thread, has made an awful lot of us greybeards smile though. I know it has made me.:):)
    Ps, I do like your chevelle.

18. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Air shocks and longer shackles seems like overkill, usually didn't need both.[/QUOTE]

Lots of folks used stock shocks with shackles. They were extended all the way out, or close to it. Properly sized air shocks let you play with ride height and quality. I got my old Falcon where I wanted it for ride/handling, drilled new holes in the shackles, and cut all the excess length off. Voila! It handled good, rode good, and I thought it looked pretty good too since I got rid of about half of the shackle length. Sometimes folks used both just to get the ass end up in the air. I wasn't real crazy about raising it up just for altitudes sake. I wanted functional, and not a clown car look. That's going by the standards of 40 years ago, not todays. Laying frame is not a good look to me, but that's the fun, not all of us think alike. We all need something we like, and we all love to have something to laugh at!

19. Gotta love that early 70s goin down hill look..............................The good ol days.................... cheap polyglass L-60's tires, butcherd wheelhouses, shackels, yellow slapper bars and an orange rearend ................................Oh man the chicks dug my Camaro.............. well back to reality grandma needs help with the grand babys..................

20. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Car #1,(1963) hand me down '51 Plymouth Cranbrook 4dr. My friends and I would jack the front up and stick 2x4s in the front suspension to make it a "gasser". We knew it was stupid and totally retarded. We didn't care, it was fun. You could drive a bit, then hit a bump and one 2x4 would fall out. Then we'd try to knock the other one out on railroad tracks so one corner wouldn't be about a foot higher than the other one. Real stupid, but a lot of laughs.
    Car #2 (1964) '56 Ford Vicky, flipped rear shackles, glasspacks, two chrome straight tailpipes with small flares on the end, exiting under the axle. Super loud..but some work done on the 312, better heads, iron 4bbl intake that took a Carter AFB, chrome wheels, and probably stuff I don't remember now.
    Car # 3 (1970) '64 Falcon Sprint, hotted up 302/C4, shackles, L50 Mickey Thompsons i think they were, air shocks, rear axle painted w/ horizontal red and white stripes and a blue center with white stars, 8 track under the dash (many compliments on my killer sound system! ha!), Thrush mufflers, Grant wheel with thick black foam padding, spray window tint, etc. At one time I went with a set of Firestone Indy tires on the back, they hung outside the body about 8 " or so. Looked awful, couldn't keep the car clean. Off they came. I had the L series tires stuffed inside the wheel wells by rolling the lips and beating the inner fender in 'til it touched the quarter panel skin. It actually looked kinda good, and was the biggest set of tires I ever saw tucked inside the wheel wells of a non tubbed Falcon. It handled really well, and would turn sideways in a cloud of smoke when I romped on the gas. :DSold it to buy and build a '29 A sedan. Wish I had the Falcon back more than the '29. It was the first car I had that I felt came out in a really good way for handling, power, etc.. If I drove it now I wonder if I would still feel the same way?

21. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Needed setup to stick out your 50 series rubber man!

22. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

.....what people will do to not spend money on a creeper.....

23. RichG

RichG

The worst tri-five? You've never seen Chuck Zito's?

...just something to remember: the pictures in this thread, most of them belonged to the people posting in this thread. Do you want to post a picture of your car thirty, forty years from now and have someone shit on it because they think it's "stupid"?

Opinions are good to have, and sometimes they're good to keep to ourselves.:)

24. spobanz

spobanz

That was my thought when I read this as well. You may have had a un wavering perfect sense of style and what it means to build a traditional hotrod since you were 6 years old. But? Why talk shit about guys actual cars from back in the day. uncool.

25. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

I did it Sweden Also 1977.

[​IMG]

26. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

That '57 is HELLA-BAD!

(Hmmm, how about a 427 tunnel-port/top-loader, 9-inch with 4.88s. Oh baby!)

27. mac762

mac762

I just remembered that I still have the twist in coil spring spacers in my project 66 El Camino (front springs), that I installed when I was 19 (I'm 38 now).
    I have a set of JC Whitney high lifts coils for the front and a brand new set of ball joint spacers to install this time. They're just sitting on the shelf waiting for when I go through the front end. I will also be using shock extenders.
    Doesn't really matter if someone thinks I have bad, or no taste. I don't give a shit. I do have the factory air shocks on it for now, but they will probably have to go because I'm setting this car up to hook. I hate to lose them as the factory hard lines to them are so cool. Maybe I'll hook them up to air bags?
    I've had the same vision for the car the whole time. I just took a lot of years off for life and shit. :) I'm poor and have gathered up parts as good deals presented themselves.....
    I also have the skinny slots up front I've always wanted. My car can look any way I want it to, it will have the power and gear to back it up.

PS It will be sporting hood pins too. :) Stuck in the 70's I guess.....I wish I could go back there.

28. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

they'll be laughing about cars sitting on the asphalt one day and wonder why people did that when you know it can't be driven from that position. fads come and go i'm old enough to have seen most of them. i just sort it out and only do what i like and the hell what others think.

29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like that? Let's go a little higher. This is more of a gasser-style car. I actually like the previous one that I posted better...more of a "street-machine".

[​IMG]

30. 1320/150

1320/150

I do apologize for saying how I felt out loud,you are correct. I should have kept that to myself!!! As for people talking about my stuff I guess I have a thick skin, I don't care!! I guess I need to go to bed after a night of boozin instead of talkin shit on the hamb....