Register now to get rid of these ads!

anybody recognize this 70's kustom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Jan 6, 2008.

1. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I think Everyone with all the old Rod Action,Street Rodder and Truck mags from the seventies should delve into their archives.

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You crack me up!

3. Oh HELL YEAH! thats a major improvement!
    Mayby an early sixty's Chrysler grill with canted quads for lights? can some one photoshop that for a look see?

4. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

The Chevy grille and lights don't really fill the opening well.
    Have you got something cooler?
    (I know, it's your truck)

5. kropduster

kropduster

WOW! i saw that truck in the early 90s in Palmyra, MO(we lived an hour and half north)...at the KKOA show they had in Flower City Park. i couldnt have been 13-14 yrs, but i remember it very well, dad having a few f-100s. it was for sale then and i remember dad hated it....that was the first time i saw laced panels AND i met BILL HINES, he was there with the bat II...changed my life forever:cool:.

6. nor cal nic

nor cal nic

i love it... so cool.
    n

7. Rikster

Rikster

Old post.. and I have no idea if this car is still owner by the same people.

But more info on the truck was just posted by "Carbon" on the "Custom Car History: Wild Child's" post.

Appereantly this is a Wild Child's built custom pick up for a guy named Sunny....
    Perhaps the owner needs to get in touch with "Carbon" and find out more about it....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Definitely the same car...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  8. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

If I remember correctly, I sold this to MoparBruce in Michigan.

9. Cabron

Cabron
    from California

As I recall an early 60's Chrysler canted headlights and grill were considered but it had been done so many times that look was getting pretty tired...Jim did all the upholstery work himself as well...the car didn't stay purple for very long, the next color was a candy red, I had so many old pictures, of the construction of many of the cars Jim built but a divorce and several moves have taken their toll

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wow! I really like the purple version.

11. Cabron

Cabron
    from California

I've found a few pics of this truck in it's red paint , The guy in the plaid shirt is Sonny, I don't remember his last name

Attached Files:

12. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Jeez i want that...

13. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

this is a cool ass thread,maybe there are good things about the internet

14. cJared3b

cJared3b

Thats really cool.

15. Any update on this truck? MoparBruce, tell us that you're returning it to its purple haze version!

16. grim

grim

Yeah the Wild Child's build history is true. The Purple version is the original finished version of the truck. The original name of it was Little Wiked. It would be a real shame to see the cab get scrapped for a more mainstream traditional look. Before you decide to change it you might look into its history. That time period of custom isn't fashionable right now but it has a rich history. For the price you paid if you're not sure if you like it you might think over passing it on to someone who'd like to preserve a less known and understood era in custom work. After all there are plenty of less modified trucks out there for a more mainstream look when you consider the $900 cost. This truck has a lot of unique modifications never done before or since like the laid down rear window on the chop. There are interesting stories behind why certain things were done when considering the social conventions of that unorthodox customization period. Appreciation and love of style is all about the stories and people behind them - we come to love what we understand and what effect what we understand had on society. Anyway, just one man's thoughts.. But I may be a little nostalgia biased - Wild Child's was owned by my Dad. :p

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  17. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Send moparbruce a PM, he was on here today.

18. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

Damn im feeling that purple version id do it up the same (in purple) only change the wheel treatment and slam that baby!! I think thats what it needs :D

19. grim

grim

Oh, by the way, someone just pointed out that I forgot to give you a rough run-down..

I'm not sure if I said this before but the truck was originally named Little Wiked if you're curious about its show coverage or magazine history. You can barely see the rear of the bed top in those pics but the name of the truck was painted up there.

It was brought to Wild Child's with a few unfinished mods here and there that weren't too cool and the owner wanted it finished as a radical custom. Someone had started to do some mods but quit working on it for him. The original owner was Sunny Woolridge by the way (he was a cool guy). So anyway, Wild Child's removed some hood scoops and things and then did 98% of what you see - sectioning the hood,fenders,chop etc etc etc.

I think some of the bed's top came in already modified so they worked with the style compromising with the customer along the way to eventually become what you see. It was a pretty quick build though, he wanted it done fast and so they busted it out from pretty much body stock I think in less than six months. It had a painted frame and everything from what I remember. It had a brand new big block and 4-speed installed as well. The tires were indy race rubber. Sonny had a few cars built there over the years. Anyway, I hope that helps fills in some gaps. Those pictures of it in its original state of purple were taken at 37th and Main street in Kansas City Missouri at the old shop.

20. junk fiend

junk fiend

hell yeah! with some Astros and pinners!:D

21. grim

grim

^ I third that, that's what I would have done back then :D

22. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Great stuff, tough to enhance though. higher res would help. Slim

Attached Files:

23. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

That thing appears to have had quite a life. Chime in here Bruce! What's cookin?

24. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

alittle something.....:cool:

Attached Files:

25. MoparBruce

MoparBruce

Man, I didn't know this thread was still around. This is some amazingly cool information. Yes, I do still have the truck. Yes, I am changing the front grille.

Not to bore anyone, the truck has been stripped. As with most older customs, I removed nearly 200 pounds of plastic from the truck and am in the process of making some new panels (amateur metal shaper - takes several times to get it right). I have had discussions about making a new frame for it, as it is chopped about 3 1/2, sectioned 2 3/4 and channeled another 6 inches. That means there is exactly enough room in the cab for someone under 5'3" to ride somewhat comfortably. I am 6'2". My plans for the exterior of the truck presently are to finish the bodywork and paint the truck Black with Gold Scallops that are trimmed in white. Gold steelies with outer ring and bullet cap and lugs. Interior is to be gold and white, very 50's tuck and roll. I am still very up in the air about the taillights as well. I am leaning to the 59 Caddy red and clear hooked to a Thunderbird sequential light control unit, but that has been done before, so, not really firm on that. I have to reconfigure the hood hinges as well as they were literally interior door hinges. The hood might get rebuilt from another donor also, as the original was VERY rough under all the bondo. Trying to talk myself OUT of suiciding the doors, but I do think that'd be really cool and again, very 50's. There are no plans for any fake vents that the truck has had at sometime in the past though. The grille is coming along, but I am not done with it yet.

I'll take a look through the new computer and see if I still have any pics of the truck with some of the present changes going on. I am presently mired in 3 other builds, so this one will not see the light of day for sometime. But when it does, that's the plan.

Thanks,
    Bruce

Bruce

Attached Files:

26. Thats going to be a very cool truck. Seems funny that it was built with the huge slot mags, when it would have really suited chrome reverse rims or Astros and sitting a lot lower. Got really nice show car vibe to it though. Keep us updated please.

27. Just change the wheels and it could be a 1950ies build.

[​IMG]

28. I agree that the original purple looked best so far. Black & gold sounds right for this style but I'd do gold like the Winfield truck with scallops myself. I think some of the great custom work might get lost in black.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  29. Rikster

Rikster

Great... an update on this old truck. I have been wondering how it was. If it was worked on.. or just sitting in a shed somewhere.

Glad to know it will be a finished truck once again. It has some really great late 60's early 70's styling.

I agree with James D... please keep us posted on the project.

30. koolkemp

koolkemp

Add me to the list of those who wish to see updates, great to see its in good hands!