Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Much Have You Gone Over Budget?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Feb 26, 2010.

1. HRod 50

HRod 50

Hey All,

I just got back from my shop, depressed to all hell. Depressed on two levels. One because I bought a real rust bucket, and two because I'm too involved money wise to turn back now so I keep throwing more money into it.
    The hurt of telling the story, is overwhelming. [​IMG] I budgeted $10K for my car, and as of right now I'm at $30K with another $10K to go.
    So my question to you guys. How much have you gone over budget, or have heard of a person going over budget? Sorry, but I feel if I hear others stories, it will ease my pain..

Tony

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I find it's best not to keep track...;)

3. Master of None

Master of None

How about some picks of the project? Is it a dream car you've always wanted? if it is stop keeping track and just enjoy the fruits of your labor.

4. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

Way to much.
    The car where 35.......
    paying 50 or so in it. and it´s still pice of shit.
    Hot rod for ewer

5. Budget? That word is depressing in itself. I try to stay away from spending crazy money and professionals. Barter, dicker and trade is the best way.

6. This, X1000. You can't get in trouble if you don't keep track.

7. I keep records in Quicken on expenditures. Yes, I am that anal!
    It's amazing how much I spent on household repairs last year!
    AND, it's still in pieces, albeit taped together.

8. sprdave4264

sprdave4264
    from Arkansas

I dont want to admit how much i've gone over. the thing that is important isnt dollars and cents but if it is really what you want. i am good at basic mechanical, and for my pontiac i've rebuilt the suspension, converted to disk brakes and swapped the motor and trans (this time without crushing any fingers or dropping the torque converter onto my foot and making it swell up and causing me to walk like freakin Igor for a week because I somehow forgot it was attached to the front of the transmission) but the bodywork killed me because it was a rusty pile to start with. you are already in this far. my advice? whats done is done. finish it and dont admit to your wife how much youve spent and just enjoy the freakin thing. you just paid your entry fee into the hobby.

9. chevyshack

chevyshack

30k??!!!! Are you nuts man?! That better be a bad ass car. Not to make things worse but your going to sink 40k into a car. I love my cars but unless i win the lottery you'll never see me sink that much into a car. I put 8k into my cutlass. 4 more then i wanted. Now im pulling out the running gear and selling the body/chassis so i can work on my 52. Im wanting to spend less then 5k on it.

10. Church

Church
    from South Bay

I think a better question might be who has come in UNDER budget. They are probably few and far between. I'm over....and late. Soon though.............I swear!!!

11. Beano

Beano
    from Pa.

Budget ? Whats a budget ?

12. sprdave4264

sprdave4264
    from Arkansas

he's so right. the other thing to consider is that most people BS about how little they spent so keep that in mind

13. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

I quit keeping track a long time ago...my first project went about 40,000 over what i thought...12 cars later i have no money....but its worth it in the end

14. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I find it helpful to put a budget in a spreadsheet, and then put what I actually paid right next to it. Helps me find ways to get creative and save money. I've been doing pretty well actually, and my bonus this year is going toward the car. I may actually get some more stuff done! :cool:

15. buzz37

buzz37

I gave up the whole budget thing a year ago, at that point I was 10 g's over. Gotta love hot rodding! LOL.

16. millersgarage

millersgarage

budget smudget.....

When my wife asks what I spent $$ on, THAT is when I know I went over budget
    :D

17. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Introooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

18. TheUnicorn

TheUnicorn
    BANNED
    from Tucson

After I sell my parts car and my 390 ... I will have $3k in my project .... and it's got rust. Not sure what the big deal is ... you just cut out the rusty parts and weld in new metal and then bondo goes over that. Get down under the car with a wire brush and then paint it with Rustoleum. $50 a gallon for the paint ... my budget is 8 and I hope the car will be worth 15.

19. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Pretty much everyday of my life ,I threw the budget out years ago ,I don't have a shop .I work out of my garage . On my own stuff .Ive stocked up ,The only thing I might need is Kero .

20. Crease

Crease

I probably should have a total budget, but I look at it a little differently.

I really enjoy the building. It makes me feel whole. Pretty sure I would go crazy if I didnt build. So if it costs me a couple hundred bucks a month, its cheaper than therapy. I dont spend much on beer. I dont have season tickets to anything. I dont have a hunting lease. I dont play golf and I have the cheap cable package. No plane, no gun collection, no Iphone, just cars (and drums but that's another story of addiction). I have no clue what I've spent on my cars, no idea what it will cost in the end and really dont care. Everything I currently own is a keeper that will be passed down to the kids. Some of them have been passed down from my dad. So in the end, I just dont care if I put $15K into a car worth $12K as long as my family is happy and well fed. Not sayin that I spend alot on the cars, just that my budget is time based rather than car based.

21. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Anyone that can dump $40,000 on a toy and bitch about it needs kicked square in the teeth!

Either do it or don't, stop whinning. I think it's just a sly way of telling everyone what he spent!

JMO
    SPark

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Kind of a wierd first post, or am I the only guy who thinks so?

23. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

no budget here... i just do what i can ... when i can... and let the rest figure its own way out.

24. roddinron

roddinron

Well, you never did an intro, and your first post is a little personal, so I refuse to answer.:p
    Man, the HAMB sure has changed lately.:rolleyes:

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sound advice!

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I always tell myself I'm not going to spend as much as the house cost. I've NEVER been overbudget yet.:cool:

Frank

27. The first car that I built I went over budget 500%. I probably built the car three time to get it done once considering everything that I kept changing. I learned a lot and had a lot of fun doing it. I learned a great deal about being realistic and assessing each car for what it will really need to get it where I want it Enjoy the build and learn from it.

28. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

HA hahahahahahahahahahhaha, budget?????Hahahahahahahahahahhah. While building cars, no less?????

Shurely you jest. The scary part isn't the big parts you planned on, but nuts, bolts and lockwashers and small hardware you never even considered.

29. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

There's the man who has it figured out.

30. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I'm not even close to what Congress can spend. Do an intro...