Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Thanks Ron I'll see what photos I can come up with for you.....Rich

2. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

some pictures from my dad and stepdad bob sall

Attached Files:

3. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

picture to go with previous post from rabs

Attached Files:

4. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

Hi racerbilly. I have a priceless memory of your dad. I drove my dad's Holmquist roadster TQ only 1 time, on dirt at Grandview. Your dad gave me some good advice before the racing started, then after getting beat in the consi by another great, Len Duncan, Bobby came to me to give me atta boys. Thats when he saw my dad made me run ungroove Dunlap ashfalt tires. Your dad reamed mine out!LOL!

5. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Here's the shot from Flemington I promised.....Rich

Attached Files:

6. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Here's another batch.....

Attached Files:

7. phatrandy

phatrandy

nice sprints anybody heard of a old timer called pop miller used to run at ascot back in the day My dad used to build motors for him Don Blackburn

8. wynns #1

wynns #1

RippinChip,
    I believe you are right about Jims Tobias car.Did Vern Osgood purchase the Watson from Jim? I think that was the year Jim quit racing over an incident at Middletown, selling the car to Mel Buckley and Harry began driving for Vern.

9. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

Joe I just posted a midget on page 41 of midget section see if that is car you did for Ray

10. Jerracer

Jerracer

I remember Pop well. he was almost like my own Grandpa to me and a lot of other kids who hung out at his shop back in the day. i was 16 years old in 1971 when I started wrenching on his car and learning the ropes alongside his grandson Scott Sloane who remains a good friend to this day. In fact my very first sprint car ride was made possible through Pop.
    A guy named Dave Scott moved out to the west coast from Massachusets in 1978 and had his car at Pop's place for a while and I worked my way into my first ride . check some of my earlier posts- a couple of them are of Pop's cars.

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

RacerBillyc.. Neat picture.. I like the Old Camera in the shot to the right.

Very Cool to think there were Two camera's set up on that guy at once, back then. Popular guy! ;)

Attached Files:

12. Buildy

Buildy

Billy C and Rabs,great stuff!

That #18 dirt car of Dickson is in the EMMR now.

13. racer5c

racer5c

a young A.J. Watson behind Sweikert

Attached Files:

14. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Yes, great pic! Sall was certainly a popular fellow in the thirties.

FYI, the caption is wrong, that's not a Horn car. I'm pretty sure it's the Sex Perriman Vance that Sall drove in 1934.

15. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

I'm sorry, scratch that! :D

Checked a couple of pics, and it IS a Horn car, after all! It's the Rasor/McDowell, that Horn brought east in 1934. Sall drove it until his own McDowell was ready. Sall drove the Perriman/Vance in 1933, not '34, and it had usually #3. :eek:

I'm guessing the pic was taken at Langhorne. The other Sall picture shows him in the Schrader/Miller that he bought in 1937.

16. RABS-

Love those Champ car shots. love 'em!

17. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

My humble opinion is .... Racers want to go faster .. they want to win and have little thought for the fans.

As a couple of examples .... Look at all the "imported" drivers in Indy cars today. No one here knows their background, nor does anyone care. By the time they even start to gain acceptance by the fans .. they're already on a downhill slide. They try to buy the best in the world. Meanwhile all the short track recognizeable names .. who already have somewhat of a fan base, end up going to the taxi cabs.

Another is .. Look at the god aweful looking Delta WIng - Batmobile thing that Genasi has proposed as a future Indy car.

18. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

I can't imagine walking across the street to watch 33 batmobiles. I don't give a crap if they run 200mph on 1/2 the horsepower. Ganasi would have done better to apply todays techno. to a safer roadster that would go 170mph for 1/4 of the cost.
    But I'm an old fart so what the h--l do I know?????????????????

19. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

The Delta Wing cars you are referring to was a student design project. I seriously doubt we will be watching any of those cars in 2012, not that anyone here cares.

20. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

I know that was meant as joking, but it would make sense for them to take several steps back...get away from the multi million dollar motor leasings and try to use some OHV motor packages. Maybe even try the nascar system combined with usac or outlaw rules....generate some u.s. mfg interest or even get some crossover stock car teams involved. Roadsters might be too much to ask..but we can dream.

21. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

The cars are not the problem. Indycars have lost their prestige because half the field consists of second rate drivers. The top five drivers in the Euro F3 would put many in the Indycar series to shame. Racing at airports is another problem and so are the street races where overtaking is almost impossible. Just my 2c.

22. NED FRY

NED FRY
    from iowa

Where were you guys when they kicked the snot out of me over on the Indy Nostalgia sight. All I wanted to know was on who wanted FE or who wanted RE Indy cars. I think to save Indy we need Front engine Indy cars with Nascar engines-- they'll last 500 miles-- the engine will bring it own fan base--the FE will bring the short track fan base-- the drivers will bring their fan base. Give Bob East some rules and money and tell him to build two. Get Tony S and Paul Tracy to test them. Go to every Nascar team and get them to buy one. Who ends up driving them will work itself out. From the stands you can't tell difference between 170 and 200 mph--who cares. Think of it this way-- more tracks-- closer races- more passing-- driver pictures on pop cans-- Indy hat and Tshirts in evry gas station and Walmart-- problem solved .

23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Bob East ? Nah, give it to MacMiller, he'll know what to do with it! :D

24. gearguy

gearguy

To borrow from my very wise friend Gregg Kishline:
    Give them 4 tires, a safety pod, and a limited number of "carbon credits" to go 500 miles. Limited rules other than no fenders & no downforce.

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

25. nexxussian

nexxussian

Now that would be interesting to see, if for no other reason than the wierdness factor of what would show up.:D

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Be careful what you wish for. That is, unless you want a silent Indy 500. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

27. I agree.

28. Racingphotoguy

Racingphotoguy
    from Wisconsin

I think this guy should have had better rides in Indy car. I saw him drive from the back to the front in the 1981 Rex Mays Indy car race.
    Mike Mosley was one of my favorites.
    [​IMG]

http://stores.ebay.com/Greenfield-Gallery

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  29. gearguy

gearguy

Mike Mosely was just a few years too late. By the time he reached his peak the ride buyers were getting the good seats. Downforce takes the driver out of the equation, IMHO.

As far as a weird, quiet Indy goes; I would have preferred the turbine cars to have been given a bit more time. The sanctioning bodies did some silly stuff back then to appease car owners who later stabbed them in the back anyway.

Of course they do the same thing today; how many ugly silver crown/gold crown/platinum crowns do we need to puke over. And don't even bring up the new Speed Racer design. You can't fix stupid.

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

30. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Here's some black and white champ cars from THE GROVE.....Rich

Attached Files: