Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest old farts over 70

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rainhater1, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Jims35

Jims35

:cool: Well I have a couple of years yet,does that mean i'm still a young fart? My best days are spent at a car show or swap meet with the young guys, allthough I do snicker when one of them starts telling his buddys how it was "back in the day" . :D I do learn a lot from the 'young guns' , on the new technology in the outo world. :)

2. So So true!!!!!!!!!! They ask you a question,then tell you why your wrong......

3. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

C'mon. Give the whippersnappers a break. Or should we?

The grandson drove by in his pickup and parked at the curb in snow. When he attempted to leave, tires just spun. He came back in (my wife was home). She asked if he didn't have a sack of kitty litter?

He answers, "Granny, you know I have no cat."

"No", she explained. "I keep a sack in the back of the car for traction." So she got it from the garage and gave it to him. She heard his engine revving, then he came back.

"It's not near enough weight, Granny. I set it all the way at the back, and it didn't help at all."

"No," she continued, biting her cheek to not grin. "You sprinkle it at the tires, and it gives you traction."

He did, and he drove away.

She told me the story when I arrived minutes later. She was looking out front at the snow where he'd been.

"Raven?" she asked. "Does Chantz have a four wheel drive?"

"No."

She burst out laughing again. "He sprinkled litter at all four wheels."

But in the boy's defense, he had brought his newly engaged bride-to-be by to give his granny the news. I suspect the boy is a virgin and his mind may already be on something besides snow and spinning tires. Forty-eight years ago, my thinking was clouded by that same excitement. Bless 'em.

4. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NOW, THAT was a cute story!!!!!!!!!!!------Don

5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

6. Alfster

Alfster

Not quite in the over 70 range yet but I do have this plaque on the rear of the modified.

Attached Files:

7. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Yeah, dadgummit.

This is the posse I hang with .....

[​IMG]

Are geezers between whippersnappers and old farts?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

For the most part, the younger guys on the HAMB "get it" and are well on their way to a life-long hobby filled with pride in their skills and loads of friendships as a result of everyone's common interest.
    I am amused that some refer to the 1970's as "back in the day". I guess the definition is different depending on how many times you've circled the sun. I'm on my 60th lap.
    All in all, car people are good people and age really isn't a factor. Most of the younger guys respect those of us who who there in the 1950's and 60's and are eager to learn or listen.
    I can't tell you how much fun it's been to tell the stories of growing up in Southern California and being lucky enough to experience all the drag races and car shows of the day. The HAMB has brought back many memories and given me an audience that's truly interested in my old photos and adventures. I would have never, ever, have thought that anyone would ever care to see my photos, much less hear about all that went on so many years ago.
    It's been great fun interacting with all you guys no matter what your age.

9. I'll be 67 in 10 days. It's not so bad, I get the geezer discount without being a geezer yet...LOL

Charlie

10. fww32

fww32

Next year and I can wait

11. stacks1938

stacks1938

I will turn 72 in April. Happy to be working on my old cars and dreaming about the next one.

12. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Went down to the Mississippi for Cruisin-the-Coast last October. Was really susprised at how old the participants are getting. Course, you can't tell how "young at heart" we are just by looking. Maybe we are the only ones who can aford to go? I'm 77, just put a new engine in the Panel truck and am looking forward to Okla. City in April. Have to admit, I'm missing Decatur today, because it's warmer and drier here in front of the computer.

13. The Gambler

The Gambler

So if im 35 does that make me a ripe fart? Thanks for all your wisdom!

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well said MAZOOMA1!!!!!!!!!!---------Don:D:D

15. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

I'll be only 67 in 3 days and I do still learn from my elders around here. :D

I'm going to check out the other group though.;) Thanks for the link. :cool:

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Oh great!! When i was 18 they said just wait until you're 21 and your insurance will go down. Turned 21 and they said 25 was the magic number. etc. etc. etc.

I've sent my whole life waiting for a birthday to make my life a little better. So now I've got 5 more years to go to get into this elusive club. ( a proud one I'm sure) Wait for me fellas, I'll catch up some day.:)

17. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

OK I want to fess up I wont be 70 until April the 7th but wanted to get this group going. You are all invited to my birthday party at the Show Low Elks in Show Low az on the 21st of March ( only time we could do it) . Free food starting at 2 PM until its gone. PM me and I will put you on the list. John

Russ B likes this.
  18. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

19. rsluggoboy

rsluggoboy
    from SALINAS CA

TURNED 70 IN NOV. 2009, We still go on road tours w/Streetrodder mag. Logged 38k miles on our 34 Ford Roadster last 2 years.Raced NHRA comp elem.for 30 years. Retired in 1999. What do you do after DRAGRACING,Streetrodding,less work and alot cheaper.

20. dadseh

dadseh

can we get reciprocal early entry to the OFC? Im 65 but may not hang in there for the full membership!

21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

There's no age requirement for the OFC. It's about awareness and respect for the way things used to be, plus a curmudgeonly attitude.

"Get off my lawn!"

22. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Very cool story!

23. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not quite there yet--67 but still play with cars alot---love to build 'em for something to keep me occupied--have met alot of younger guys (20's-40's) who are really into the traditional stuff-my son is 39 and his 1st cool car is a 40 coupe --thought he would be more into stuff from his time like Camaros and Chevelles but he has become an early Ford guy--

24. oleskool

oleskool

I'm "69", but it's such a great number, I luv to eat it, I mean lhate to leave it!

25. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Turned 67 this year. I know I have reached ol fart status 'cause the girl at the Dunkin Donuts automatically gives me senior discount without asking. But inside I am still 15, reading the Honest Charlie catalog hidden in my history book in study hall. Thats the real success in retirement, feeling young at heart. Hell I am sanding down a 7' South Coast surf board to paint it up and stripe it to go on my kustom this summer. I never want to "grow up". And if I need a reference that I am an olcurmdgeon, just ask any of the Board of Selectmen in my town, they'll probably use some colorful language to accentuate the point!

26. I am 72 and still go to the Indianapolis 500, Little 500 and Knoxville Nationals and assorted other racing events but it takes me longer to get there and longer yet to get over the trips. Or, as my grandson told me the other day, 'you are so old you probably built the log cabin you were born it'

27. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Eh? I don'y need tribocals, or haring aids, and I remember who I am.

I think.

I went to the NHRA meet at Bandemere Mile High this week, climbed all them stairs from the parking lot , I did notice a lot of kids twenty years younger than me stopping for a breather along the way up that hill. Ha. I got an autograph from John Force.

You are right about one thing, I do ramble......... :D

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

all you old farts get off my lawn!!

29. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Actually my kids won't let me play with sharp things anymore. Nothin' to do with being computerized.

30. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

If anyone is ever in the Utica/Rome NY area and has some free time then Look up a guy named "Boots" SantaMaria (Boot's autoparts in the phone book). This guys some what of a local legend, and has been in the car business since the '40s. Bring him a case of Old Milwakee and ask him if he has any "hot rod" material. That will get you a tour you wont soon forget.