Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Who is in the #36 and Nesler 2X Cars?
    Thanks

2. Buildy

Buildy

I have that same question,Spike. Maybe Wynns 1 will know.

3. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

Is Lauden Potts in Geo. Nessler's car? I don't have a guess for the #36. Thanks for posting RABS. Do you have any URC pics of Jerry Stover in my dad's #71 Trevis?

4. Buildy

Buildy

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  5. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Bucky was a really nice guy, and decent Modified driver. In the early 90s he sponsored several special shows at Clinton County. When he ran the V8 with URC, he weighed in at 325 lbs.

6. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Hi, found this info on a search, how long was Stanton making cars before he sold out to Challenger? ( have an '86 Challenger, and would like to backdate it as much as possible) Not gonna wreck the car or anything like that, but would like it to look as old as possible... Thanks.

7. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Stanton was building supers in Az. in the early 70s. Around 75 he put Ron Shuman in his sprinter and was very successful, putting him on the 'national scene'

9. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Thanks, have some old Open Wheel mags with Shuman in them, will have to look them up...

10. Stanton may have been still involved when the Challenger name was put on the doors. Harold Annett told me in Oct. '87 that Stanton had left by then, meaning Annett was the main proprieter.

They had an agreement that Stanton would not build/sell for 5 years.

11. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Ron,what year or years, Did they also run with USAC,and the early PA POSSE, It could help me as to what disc I have to look on,also what color was the car.....Rich

12. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Buildy,
    Paul Barnes is in the Nesler 2x from 1972 at Flemington, not sure about #36.The Jim Shaw#2 is the former Brenn/ Beletsky/ Watson car. Never found out what happened to that car. Spike is right on about Bucky Barker, great guy! I recentley saw his son Danny at the Grove.

13. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

Hi, Rich. Stover and dad ran URC and some Pa. races starting in '73 and till mid '75 when Jerry quit. Bill Wentz,Jr. took over the wheel after dad let me drive it in two races, Weedsport and Flemington. I wasn't AT ALL ready for Flemington, and pulled off early in the feature. I guess dad wasn't ready for me to be behind the wheel,LOL.

Thanks Joe for correcting me on the ID of Paul Barnes in the Nessler car, I forgot he drove for them. Last I talked to Paul was at the Sharon Nats. about 1983 in his own car I think.

14. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Ron, I'll see if I can come up with some shots for you....Rich

15. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Yeah Rootie, Those were the days and I remember them well. In the 1975 Western World, Ron Shuman was driving Bill Boat's (Billy Boat's Dad) Lincoln Thrift sponsored car. A new, ultra-modern sprinter (not sure if it was a Stanton but, could've been) and they broke and missed the A-Main for Saturday night so they brought out the old clunker, single tube chassis and Shuman beat Rick Ferkel and the rest of the Western World field for the win. In 1976, Shuman and Gary Stanton came back together and did the same thing. 'Missed Saturday's A-Main in a new car so, Gary simply built a whole new car. (Western rules did not allow teams to re-qualify the same car.) They qualified for the feature race and Shuman started on the pole and led the Western World for 49 3/4 laps before Ol' Bub got around him coming down for the checkered......'And the rest is history!

16. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Ron C, I found a shot that has your dads #20 car in it....Rich

Attached Files:

17. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Here's some silver crown from THE GROVE....Rich

Attached Files:

18. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Here's a few more...

Attached Files:

19. RippinChip

RippinChip

Wynns #1, I'm almost certain that the #2 that Harry is wheeling for Shaw was the new Tobias car he bought in 1971.
    It's first night out was at Lincoln with Bob Shaw driving and Bob didn't make the show. I never saw Jim so mad, he offered the car up for 5Gs, trailer and all. By monday morning, I had cash in hand but Jim cooled off and changed his mind.
    Do you have any idea of the fate of the Watson car that Bruce Manwaren had? That car worked incredibly well on both dirt and asphalt.

20. wilburshawfan

wilburshawfan
    from Indiana

What a great thread! I've spent nearly all my free time the past few weeks reading all 488 pages of this. I am pictured here with Warren Wilbur Shaw Jr. (Bill) and Wilbur's winning 1939 and '40 500 mile race winner. The photo was taken last year at a 3/4 midget race at Shelbyville, Indiana (Wilbur's hometown). Too bad it was rained out.

21. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Welcome WILBURSHAWFAN. Glad to have you, I was blown away with Wilbur Shaw's book "Gentlemen Start your engines".

Look forward to having ya around.

J Shaw

22. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Ripinchip, the bruce manwaren watson is in the Bob McConnell collection. Look at post 9612.

23. wilburshawfan

wilburshawfan
    from Indiana

Josh, Thanks for starting this wonderful thread. I've passed alot of time the last few weeks going through it, lots of great memories here. Hope to see at at our Columbus Speedway Oldtimers gettogether March 20th. My mother bought me a copy of 'Gentlemen Start Your Engines' for Christmas 1964. I still have it plus lots of WWS memorabilia. Thanks again .........Bruce

24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I'll be there! Look me up.
    ;)

25. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

bucky was a big man my mother made him a uniform when i was 10 or 11 she handed me one end of the tape and i walked around him several years later he had slimmed down to a very normal weight i didn.t recognize him

26. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Who is driving the #21?
    Thanks

27. racer5c

racer5c

That's my step Dad's car most likely Pancho driving

28. weathrmn

weathrmn

Looking at the pictures of the champ cars, loved seeing them at the Grove, Flemington and Nazareth.

Question, why did USAC mess up such a good simple car that drew a lot of cars and fans.

29. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

For RABs32, a photo of my dad's Trevis in URC action, 1975. My first start, 24th to 12th. That is Chuck Ciprich in the Camperland 17.
    [​IMG]

30. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

I've got champ car shots from Flemington coming up later tonite....Rich