Register now to get rid of these ads!

Auto X Street Legal Sprint Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haychrishay, Feb 24, 2010.

1. haychrishay

haychrishay

<object width="640" height="385">
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIRlaNRKK2U&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></object>

This video is roughly from 1985. My brother owned this street legal sprint car. It was a Hot Rod Magazine front cover car. We tried to autocross it unsuccessfully.

2. nitrodusterron

nitrodusterron

Cool street car. Pushes like a dumptruck though.

3. 41woodie

41woodie

At one of the NSRA nationals in St. Paul a bunch of years ago there was a street legal sprinter. They used breather cans on the roll cage to house the tail lights. Pretty neat looking and probably a real cop-magnet. Somewhere I think I still have a photo of it, I'll check tomorrow and post it if I find it.

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

Wow... That is a lot of understeer.

Ever find out what was wrong with the setup?

5. Handles for shit, he about piled it up a couple times. Needs some stickier and way fatter front tires.

Charlie

6. Sucker pushes like my 2000 Ranger!

7. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Damn. An awful lot of people and cars in the proximity to be driving that thing like that. Very cool and fun car I bet. Just about collected that light pole!

8. haychrishay

haychrishay

Thats the car! we trailered it up he drove his 38 chev, my daughter wks 2 weeks old. any way my brother dave launched the motor in his elcamino and used the trailer so I drove the sprint car back to Des Moines. You should have seen the people just about spin out when I passed them.

9. Dave B.

Dave B.

Course design rules have changed a LOT since then! If you went to an event on the same lot today, the cars and people would be moved back at least 75', the course would have to be designed to be no closer than 30' from any of the poles and the competitors would turn 'away' from them.

10. Same car! That kid riding on the gas tank cruising the fairgrounds was me..:)

11. I've driven a car like that and I think he just didn't know how to drive it. Those Sprint cars have to steer using the throttle,alot. Seems like he was just trying to brake and steer. Won't work on a car with that weight distribution. Just like drifting...Cool car though!

12. Went better in a straight line...

[​IMG]

13. that's just way too cool!!!!!! He shoulda wore a helmut!!!

14. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Yeah, the close up pic is WAY cool!

15. GasserDave

GasserDave
    from Sin City

Wow. It probably sounded like a good idea over a 6 pack. Sometimes its best to know when to say when...

16. haychrishay

haychrishay

I was hopin you had some good pics!

17. haychrishay

haychrishay

T have the ILEGAL plate

18. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Didn't that car get sold, and end up down in the Phoenix area, around the mid 80's?

I'm sure I saw it down there about that time. It was out at Manzy one night.

HellRaiser

19. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That's what I was thinking. I'd have tried to get the chassis setup right.

I'm thinking the handling problems are deeper rooted than just tires.

21. Graham08

Graham08

I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the open tube rear axle. Locked rear axles and autocrossing don't really mix that well. We run lots of stagger on ovals to make the car turn left...but then they really don't like to turn right! :D

22. kenny g

kenny g

Looks like it still had the Q/C,rear axle in it.No differential.

23. It didn't get sold then, we moved from Iowa to Phoenix. Then a couple years after the move, dad sold the car to a guy in thousand oaks, CA.

As far as the handling, that car wasn't set up to do that kinda racing, plus it was a dirt champ car which meant it had a longer wheel base than a sprint.

My uncle was fearless back then and probably ran it for fun or on a dare... :)

ALso, the car came out of California, built by Lem Toliver. (Sp?) Dad bought it and brought it back to Iowa.

24. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Now that was the way to cruise back to Iowa !

25. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Live rear axle (axles and spool all one big piece with no housing around them), dirt style weight distribution, no sway bars, and skinny front tires.

That car is meant to turn left with the help of a LOT of stagger and judicious use of wheel spin, neither of which are terribly useful for autocross.

I'm sure you could make it turn properly in both directions, but not without replacement of some fairly significant suspension parts.

Cool as hell though, even pushing like a pig on ice. Takes balls to try and hustle a course in a car that far out of its element.

It may not have been real fast, but it sure made me smile. :D

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You should watch the shifter karts on autocross courses, not a problem at all.:eek:

And I'd say if it handles that bad it shouldn't have been run on the street. :rolleyes:

27. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Power to weight ratio my friend, cures many ills.

Plus, with such a little car, you can just lean over and let the new weight bias unhook the inside tire. ;)

Though really, the locked rear isn't the biggest problem there.

Asphalt sprinters almost always run that same kind of rear axle set-up, and they don't push like that at all. 'Course, they've got that high power to weight ratio going like the karts too, and a little stagger never hurt anyone. :D

You could make it turn, just not without a lot of work.

But I stand by my previous assessment, even if it was slow, it made me smile. :D

28. Yes we all smiled, but it IS NOT a sprintcar. It is a CHAMP car. but, all teh input on things to change aply.

29. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Right, but a Champ/Silver Crown car is just a Sprint car, writ large.

Same principles apply, it's just that in this instance, the longer wheelbase actually makes the rear weight bias worse.

That would be a good thing on the dirt, but not so much on the pavement.

It would have been a hoot though if the fellow had enough HP to really get the rear tires broke loose and spinning.

You'd have to be some Japanese drifting ace to keep it under you for the whole track, but it would have made for one hell of a show (pointless as drifting is, it's fun to watch in short spurts :D ).

30. metalshapes

metalshapes

So what kind of Rear Weight Bias are we talking about?

My Mallock has about 60% on the rear wheels and it has excellent Turn In...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010