Register now to get rid of these ads!

scored a 50's built roadster today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopo, Feb 13, 2010.

1. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Great find, I always follow up on comments like your new co-workers. Most of the time what someone calls a 36 Ford turns out to be a 46 ford but one of these days?

2. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Soooo....When are you bringing her home??

3. chopo

chopo

for you picture whores i slipped back in a shot a few more. he started cleaning up around it. he said he found a spare frame to go with. the pass side door is inside as is the hood, grill shell and windshield with posts.

Attached Files:

4. chopo

chopo

as soon as the snow goes away enough to get in valley to where it is.

5. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Extra frame, that's cool! Now I can see where they extended the frame with a piece of strap to mount the parallel leafs out back. That's gotta go!:eek:

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Once again the HAMB goes brezerk over a crusty old pile. Go ahead and climb all over me but that thing would tax the skills of Sam Barris and we all know how he is held in high regard. I'll gladly retract anything I post here after it's dug out ino the sunshine where an accurate apprasal can be made. It loooks like a war torn dirt track veteran. I'm thinking it will be no better than the junk Rustynewyorker posted when he came on here trying to pedal crusher rejects as Hope Diamond candidates. I'll stand by with my concession speech.

Frank

8. chopo

chopo

a 32 owner:rolleyes: figures.

9. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

Bad day fab32? I think this car is cool as hell. Try to remember that his car fell into his lap on short notice and you searched all your life for your 32's. Never knock another man's car or wife! Steven.

10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I've seen way worse brought back to life. I've seen way better turned into a turd.

It looks like a sweet piece of history, and with all that lead shouldn't be hard to make it sit nice and low.
    Can't wait to see it out in the daylight, and better yet, out on the road

11. sawzall

sawzall

Neat
    funny how these things go in circles

12. ill have to keep an eye out for this build. could get interesting after some of the comments, congrats on the find.

13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

yup i love a good rusty pile recovery story id read a million of em , keep em coming ,

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Bad day? How perceptive. Yea, I've had better............suffering from an old wound, but that's not a topic for today. Now, I've searched my memory and I can't recall telling anyone that I searched my whole life for my '32's....................I just kept my eyes and ears open and pounced "while the iron was hot" so to speak. As far as knocking another man's wife...........would never do that. Knocking another man's car is a national sport and most here have their letteman's jacket complete with kill slashes. When you put your build, find, catch, or robbery item on here your asking for opinion and as the saying goes, "if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen". I've got to tell you that if my little post has you upset you wouldn't 've lasted a day on the old HAMB.

Frank

15. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Nice score. I love that thing !

16. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

I'm sorry if I offended you fab32, I was just ribbin you like I took your post as ribbin. Nothing more, nothing less. Also sorry you're having a bad day. And I do agree with you 100%, when you find them, you've got to jump while their hot. And it's not about what you find, it's what you do with it after being found. Steven.

17. chopo

chopo

so anyway back to the topic.... I found it interesting how this thing is put together. It has a grafted on parallel leaf rear. it is channeld several 6? inches. They moved the body and left the fenders and running boards creep up the side of the car. hence I would think that is why the doors are leaded shut and smoothed. instead of messing with the doors it was easier to fill them than recut and move things up. it seems that most are done fenderless.. perhaps for this reason.

18. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

if your thinking of flathead for it get ahold of me i got a couple kicking around now...and trans too

19. Fidget

Fidget

Cool find. Keep updating with build pics.

20. Killer score....keep us updated!

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

that's nuts. congrats on a bad ass ride.

22. jreeder41

jreeder41

Thats freaking sweet Jon. I spent many saturdays crawling through Lester's yard. That place is where I learned about all kinds of different cars. I even took a couple clubs I was members of on tours through the yard. I went over when they were crushing out the yard. It was enough to make you cry. By the way its Jon from Metropolitan Restoration Service.

23. 31whitey

31whitey

Theres a bunch of great pics on line of this place...

Possibily some of yours I believe.

Really enjoyed the story, a little history, and the roadster should be a great project.

24. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

jon - congrats, you are the tin archeologist of north central, now i have to stop again when in area - will it go where the stude is?

25. chopo

chopo

well it looks like more snow this weekend........... gotta wait another week until I can get the car.

26. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Go buy a shovel!!!:D

27. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

pretty cool find

always love a car with history

28. chopo

chopo

i wish it was that easy. there are about 12 old tractors in the way of the door. all restored but none will run. we need to drag them out fist. the guy is kinda frail. so ya I gotta wait it out.

29. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Mine is worse!
    haha...

Cool...I LOVE it!
    It has dreams packed away in it's iron oxide molecules.......;)

Who cares if it even ever DOES get to fruition...if it does, you love it, drive it, flaunt it...pretty cool.
    If not, you did something besides watch T.V: It's win/win
    You are not a stranger to this...you will get it there...
    I just looked at A WAYYY worse roadster...for much too much, AND, it sold IMMEDIATLY, to the next guy after me that looked...And good for him, he has something to believe in now...I'm sure you did well...

Makes me miss my A...
    But, my new crusty pile of junk is still growing all the time!

30. Merkonic

Merkonic

Great find,dont worry,it looks pristine next to the one I found....