Register now to get rid of these ads!

Building a modified, can this be done.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JMPRO, Feb 24, 2010.

1. JMPRO

JMPRO
    from So Cal

btn

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Two totally different styles. I don't think a guy could get there for under $1,000. A lot of stuff wouldn't be usable.

3. doctorZ

doctorZ

it looks like it can be done, but won't be a simple parts swap. a big difference is the one you want is a 1926/1927 T while the bucket is a 1923. Also, to get the stance you want the rear suspension would have to be reconfigure to get it low. it's plausible and a good start, but i don't think it's as easy as bolting and unbolting parts. the good thing is that you can sell things like the headers, wheels, tires, etc. to offset your additional costs.

4. JMPRO

JMPRO
    from So Cal

The one I saw for sale is a 27. I only showed that picture as a referance . It is clearly a 23.

5. doctorZ

doctorZ

ok, maybe show the one you're thinking about getting. we'd be able to get a much clearer idea of what you would have to modify/ change.

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

The parts you can't use have resale value. It might be worth a shot. First thing I'd do is sell the seat, I'd sit on the floor before I looked like that guy.

7. JMPRO

JMPRO
    from So Cal

It looks just like the one in the picture except its a "27" Not a lot of differance.

8. pinman 39

pinman 39

A 27 T Roadster is a pretty good piece as is .An old runner hot rod if it is anything
    is worth 5k .You could buy it make it safe and dependable then enjoy it for a while and see if its the type of car you really want.You might like it as is or find out you are not a Roadster Guy .If it is structurally sound and well engineered it could be a cool deal.I don't know what you know about hot rods ,but if you don't have a bunch of experience find someone that looks past paint and chrome to go look with you.
    There is nothing worse than cleaning out your bank account to find out it would be cheaper to start from scratch than fix what you bought.
    Thats enough out of me good luck.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There is a lot of difference. The '23 is a bit shorter in the cowl. Does the '27 have the back end? If so, it's longer than a '23. The most notable thing you will have to change is the frame. It will need to extended, for one thing. To get it low, you may even have to increase the kickup for the rear spring setup. It can be done, but it's not going to be a simple parts swap.

Like others have said, a good pic of the '27 would be helpful in getting advice instead of guesses. In any event, you may have a good start and I wish you well.

10. JMPRO

JMPRO
    from So Cal

Some how I knew asking this question would be a waste of time here.

11. retromotors

retromotors

Damn!
    Sounds to me like folks were tryin' to help, based on the totally insufficient info you gave.
    Another FNG asshole with an attitude!

12. blt2go

blt2go

i don't jump on people for their ideas or opinions, but when you get good advice and people willling to help solve "your" problem and then get pissy about it... that gets me.

13. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

True, true..................Maybe you waited too long to give up, I mean, hell, it's almost been 4 hours or so...........:eek::eek::eek:

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

Dude! You're not communicating your question clearly. I had to go back and read your original post 4 times. You can make a modified out of a 27, easily. Look up Royalshifter's "gowjob out of hiding" thread. As well, look at the lakes and modifieds thread. There are PLENTY of pictures in both threads.

Also, a little bit of advice, some people that actually can tell the differences between 1915-25 T's and 26-27 T's will make it known when you say, "it's just like a 23 but it's a 27..."

15. t-rod

t-rod

As others have said, post some pics! These people are offering opinions based on pics of two totally different styles of car ,neither of which is the car you are actually interested in. You want better advice? Give better information!

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

Okay... comparing the two cars, if you wanted to transform the bucket into a similar style to the 26-27 above it you need to:
    - Lose the bed and run a narrower wheel/tire. (Not sure what it looks like back there but it'd be the first thing to go)
    - Figure out a tank/taillight set-up.
    - Change the exhaust and run a hood.
    - Get rid of the other fad stuff
    - Lower the headlights and toss out the blinkers.
    - Ditch the top and chop the widshield and lean it back.
    - Do something about the front wheel/tire treatment, like run a 40 steelie.

That'll get you in the ballpark...

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There's a ton of good builders on this site and they like to help, but an attitude will get you nothing.

18. JMPRO

JMPRO
    from So Cal

Yes there are a ton of good builders here, I have followed many threads of the fine work some of the people can do. Its just that those fine builders don't seem to be posting today.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  19. metalman

metalman

I'll add one thing here, despite the attitude. If the car your thinking of buying is fiberglass you won't be able to take the turtle deck off like most steel 27 roadsters (such as the modified in the pic) without having to make some type of rear body panel. Most glass 27s are moulded in one piece where the steel cars the turtle deck bolts on to the "bucket". Other then that I don't see why not, you could offset some of the cost of new parts by selling off what you don't need. Don't thik you could do it for a grand however unless you can do all the work yourself and scrounge used parts when you can.
    I see the merit in thinking you could use what's there as a start and many time thats a good way to go doller wise.

20. JMPRO

JMPRO
    from So Cal

Thanks Metalman. As I stated in my first sentance the car is a 27 bucket so it has no turtle deck. I think the hardest part would be redoing the rear crossmember for a lower stance. The 27 is a running, complete, street legal car so I wouldn't have to buy many parts. Maybe wheels and tires would be the biggest expence parts wise and my wife says my labor is free. As you said many of the old parts could be sold off but I 'm not sure there is a big market for old "Fad-T" parts.

21. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

WOW... How's GFY for an answer?

22. the-rodster

the-rodster

I've thought about this with some of the t-buckets that I've seen, they're out of style and selling cheap.

It just seems like it would be easier starting from scratch, or at least a new frame, and migrating parts over to it.

Most buckets have that crazy straight up steering, gotta go.

Most buckets only run rear brakes on big meats, gotta go.

The whole interior would have to be re-arranged.

It's like you would be buying a body, engine, axles, and starting over.

Rich

23. hehehehehehheeh oooooh boy....whars' ma' popcorn

24. -Brent-

-Brent-

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt but you're a numbskull.:rolleyes:

Do some homework on your own and maybe you'll get the answers you're looking for.

This is hot rodding, not astrophysics. :rolleyes:

25. gotmark73

gotmark73

There are a few great threads on here regarding lakes style roadsters. I am starting from scratch but using fad t components cause they are cheaper. I have a spirit chassis and am using a 26 fiberglass tub without a turtle or bed. I think the flavor of the car is determined by the add on's or lack of. I am going to run tall thin bias tires and a lakes pipe, and a hood. Bomber seats and a more horizontal steering column. I am trying to use no visible parts newer than 1951. The guys are helpfull on here if you are cool with them. Pick up the new (april 10) issue of street rodder, it has 2 great little roadsters in it.