Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anything that I must see in New Mexico?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smitty78, Feb 23, 2010.

1. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man ive lived in Santa Fe for a couple months now and all of this is great info .....looks like i have some stuff to do now...

2. Drive Em

Drive Em

3. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,Not sure if it's still there or not ,,but up at Cloud Croft ,,there used to be a narrow guage railroad that went thru tunnels and around that mountain ,,rode it once and it was really great ,,also,,at the top of Cloud Croft there's a HUGE observation tetescope ,,you can see way out in space ,,used to be a top secrete USAF deal ,,but now it's open to the public ,well ,,it was in '97 when i was out there ,,,

4. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

<>>>>,I guess the correct term for that telescope on top of Cloud Croft is ,,,,an Observetory ,,,?????. oh well ,,neet thing to see ,,

5. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>>Also,,the White Sands Missle Range is a really neet thing to see,,,they have a museum there ,,as well does the Air Force Base at Alamagordo next to it ,,
    the "Shuttle" had to land at White Sands several years ago ,,

6. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Red River NM....itty bitty ski town....I love that place....

Also there's Mild To Wild (hot rod and fabrication shop in the South Valley of Abq. Stop in and ask Tony for a tour.

Metalman lives in the area as well and still works on some cool shit....may drop him a PM and see whats up with the local scene....(I havent been back to NM in years...grew up there though)

You know, I used to complain about the lack of car events to partake of when I lived there...now that I live in Jacksonville FL....I realize that we had it pretty darn good....there aint shit that happens in J-ville....for a big ol city that has a metric shit ton of old cars in it, no one likes to take em out of their garage....

And the ones that do are typically the PT cruiser club of east kackilacky....sad really....

7. jalopys

jalopys
    from El Paso TX

Run To Ruidoso a cool car show in Oct. By the Earlytimes Car Club.

8. smitty78

smitty78
    from Florida

Getting on a plane in an hour or so. Thanks again guys. Connman I did get your pm's we will definatly go to white sands, and the gila cliff dwellings. I haven't been back to NM in 10yrs I'm excited to see rust free old tin
    Smitty

9. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hi Smitty78,
    Might do a search on Route 66 postings on the HAMB.. Been a lot neat ideas about what is here to see...

This link is good... Click on each town on Route 66 across the state...
    http://www.theroadwanderer.net/66NMex/route66NM.htm
    I am retired now, 42 miles south of Santa Rosa.

My favorite restaurant is Mesilla Valley Kitchens, in Las Cruces.. Have eaten, at least 200 of their Green Chili Breakfast Burritos over the years...

Have a great trip and enjoy the "Land of Enchanment"...duane

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I've spent a ton of time in southern New Mexico working over the years, so I have some favorites. Seems like there is tons of car stuff all over the state to buy and to look at. There is a good wrecking yard north of Alamogordo on the hiway out of town, west side of the road, although it's name escapes me right now. It's pretty obvious which one you are looking for if you look. Cloudcroft has been mentioned, but if you want a really nice dining experiance, go to dinner at the lodge at Cloudcroft right be fore sunset. You will not believe the view from any of the tables in the place, and the food is great. It is a bit pricey though, but worth it. Any time I'm over I have to stop in Messilla just south of Las cruces. It was once the territorial capitol of both Arizona and New mexico, and one of my favorite places on the planet. Dinner at the Double Eagle on the square, then gotta have a drink at La Posta bar, one of the oldest bars in N.M., been there since the 1840's. I doubt You'll get way over to the western edge of the state, but if you do, take some time and roll out too Silver city, a cool little town that feels like it never left a completely different time frame. Back across the state,(sorry I'm skipping around a bit) Carlsbad Caverns is a cool kinda touristy thing to do. I'ts been quite awhile since i've been through there, but there was still all sorts of cool little "trading posts" down in that area _ bought cherry cider and payed an extra buck to see "Rattlesnake pit" in one... cheap, dumb, kitschy fun!

11. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,For you all that live in New Mexico ,,,when i was out there in '97 ,,there was a nice new hi-way from Roswell to Riudoso ,,,when i was Hitch Hiking from the AF Base in Roswell to Las Cruces ,in '62,,i really thought the old 2 lane hi way was an adventure ,,lotsa neet old cars in the woods ,,so in '97 ,,i searched for the old hi way ,,finnally found it ,,spent a day just cruzin' around on it ,,there was a old burm house ,,on the east side of the hi way ,,that had a '37 Chevy pick up sittin' in the yard ,,with a tree growing up between the front bumper and the grille ,,i knocked on the door and an old Indian lady came ,,said nuthing was for sale ,,i looked behind the burm house and there in the valley was a bunch of old ,,pre WW II ,,cars and trucks ,,
    so ,if any of you guys get a chance ,,find that old Two Lane Blacktop hi-way ,,her burm house was right next to a neet big valley full of Apple & Peach Trees ,,

12. hell yeah the museum is cool
    [​IMG]

13. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,When i went thru there ,,in March of '97 ,,i was on my way to Pheonix ,,taking the southern route thru Tucson,,,my Mom was in the hospital ,,i spent a nite with Bob at the Hot Rod shop ,,,,spent a month in Pheonix ,,thinking i'd stop and try and buy some of those old cars from that old Indian Lady ,,'specially that '37 Chevy Pee Cup ,,BUT,,,when i got back to Las Cruces ,,there was a BIG snow storm in the Pecos Mountains ( Riudoso) and the hi way was closed ,,so,,i went thru El Paso across Texas ,,(the very longest n werse way to go ) back to Missouri ,,,i've never got back there ,,Always wondered if they're still there ,,

14. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,My ole` hi-school buddy Bob ,,with "the Adult Toy Factory" told me ,,that the way things were done ,,back in the '40's & '50's ,when an N M Indian had a car that the motor /trans ,,or whatever ,went bad ,,they just parked the car ,,or pee cup ,,and found sumthin' else to drive ,,
    SO,,,if you look ,,on the old roads ,,you'll find lotsa old sheet metal ,,and that's a rust FREE area ,,
    Just stop by Bob's Hot Rod Shop ,just up the mountain from Las Cruces ,,and go around back ,,there's a hundred cars sittin' back there ,,most he's found thats been layin' around for years n years ,,,sure ,,there's sum suface rust ,,but not the BAD KIND ,,perfect frames n bodies ,,
    Check it out ,,,,,,

15. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Well, did you make it? What did you do/find/see in New Mexico? Just had NSRA Appreciation Day at Bob Nall's Adult Toy Factory in Las Cruces, very well attended.

Attached Files:

16. 23reotim

23reotim
    from arizona

Lots of cool old iron in Nara Visa. Basicly a ghost town. Dont really seem to like stranger though.

17. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,Blue Moon ::: Bob and I went to Jr and Sr Hi School together in Iowa ,,we graduated in '61 ,,and when i was stationed in Roswell in '62 & '63 i went and spent weekends with him in Las Cruces ,,, been back there a few times since i moved to Missouri ,,
    He's got a great shop ,,and is a super hot rod builder ,,
    looks like a great time when you were there eh ???
    bill

18. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

CONNMAN: Known Bob since late 70's, belonged to the same hot rod club in Las Cruces back in the old days. I mentioned your posts on this thread about him but he never heard of the H.A.M.B. and hadn't seen them. Always enjoy visits to the shop and this time there were several other members of that old club present that I hadn't seen in almost 30 years! It was a great weekend.

Attached Files: