Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rocket 32 build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Steve, I'm really glad you posted this thread to show what an awesome build this is. I had the pleasure of meeting Steve a few years back on a trip to England and we spent a great day together, along with Brian, another mate of his who gave me a ride in his flattie powered 32 with 5-speed that I can remember vividly to this day! The caliber of Steve's work just seems to get better and better and you gotta know, his shop is SMALL! He gets it all done and with obvious fantastic results. Hell, his beautiful circular driveway is only enhanced by the "cruise-in" of his vehicles that are there 24/7!

As for the book idea Langy, I'd go for it. You have not taken one shortcut anywhere in this build, you built/fabbed more items that are a tribute to the hobby, and doing it in a country where parts are not so readily available, at a cost in time and money I can't even imagine. This is one special, signature build that everyone can aspire and relate to - just go for it!

Now, when will the car be on tour for all of us here in the states to see?!?!?!? LOL - but I'm serious! It should be a contender for any/all shows here - hell, make a grand tour!

All the best to you Steve and your lovely wife - congrats again on one great looking machine!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Steve, No insult intended just hate the big mixing bowl headlamps. [ personal taste ] spent a day at goodguys one summer every car seemed to have em. The ones you got up on there now look great.

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

No offence taken mate, i just wondered what mixing bowls were, now i know i realise its an apt description :D

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hey Tom you old devil, how the hell are you ??? For those that don't know Tom he is a great guy and helped me immensly over the years finding parts and sending over to the UK, We only met for 1 day in the UK and we certainly gelled just like hotrodders from all over the world would, He will remain a lifelong friend.
    Thanks for the praise although i'm not quite sure its fully warranted as there are some really special builds here on the HAMB, I certainly feel honoured to be amongst them.

I hope to come over and see you soon Tom.

5. Ha - I don't know about helping you "immensely" but I'm always here to help you, no problems there. Now WHEN you come over you'd better bring the 32 for the grand tour!!

I'm looking forward to it ....

6. hershambob

hershambob

its been very sunny here this year,,as my lawn will tell you(if it could talk)

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Tom there was talk a while ago about a company sponsoring a few Rods to be shipped over to the US, I might just see if anybody is still interested. How cool would that be :D

8. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

love to see 'em at Woodward, :D

9. Stone

Stone

I love this build. And I'm not really a fan of metal flake or roadsters for that matter. But this is awesome beyond words. I wouldn't change a thing.

10. Steve, that would be fantastic - please keep me posted on this and if it does come to pass, when and where they would be shown.

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I'm still not decided about the wheels :( I have the following options, decisions decisions :( opinions ???

Don't seem to matter what i put on they just don't look right somehow :mad:

1. Flaked centre with chrome bullet wheelnuts and polished bullet centre cap

[​IMG]

2. Baby Moon caps on chrome wheels

[​IMG]

3. 47-48 ford caps on chrome wheels

[​IMG]
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

12. hershambob

hershambob

painted centers,,echo echo

13. Painted center and a set of spider caps....

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Dave don't suppose you have any spider caps i could try ???

15. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

I LOVE YOUR CAR !.......I'd like to see chrome wheels with spider caps, and NO paint on the wheels.....color matched wheels are a little to "cute" for me......kinda like wearing a white belt with white shoes.....or seeing an old couple wearing matching Hawaiian shirts.....[​IMG]

16. What about some kidney beans? Would that be too over the top? Or full Moons like my car? both would be right with the time.

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Mike i'm sticking with what i have at the moment but i do have a set of 5x15 & 8x15 Ansen slots i may use from time to time with blackwalls.

18. Dave'29Ford

Dave'29Ford
    from NE England

All chrome without center caps for me Steve. Though whenever someone gives me there opinion on how I should do my car I usually do the opposite or completely ignore them.:D

Kidney beans sound good but they are so darn expensive.

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well still waiting for some decent weather to drive the 32 but finally organised a visit from Tootall today to stripe my car :)

after a lot of umming and arring over colour choice we came up with these 2 main options, I wanted just 2 colours and 1 had to be white. Toots liked the lime green and i liked the dark green.

[​IMG]

First thing was to mark the design on the car with a Stabilo pencil and then the brushes came out :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was my version of the olds rocket 88 trunk badge, first the 32 font was chosen and painted on in the dark green.

[​IMG]

Here Toots is laying on the white rocket outline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next the dark green was put on the front frame rails, around the trunklid handle and on the rear axle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next the white outer stripe went on :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can highly recommend Tootall as he is prepared to work with your wishes no matter how many times you change your mind or how strange your request might be :D
    Thanks Toots

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  20. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

The striping looks great. Nothing over the top, just nice subtle touches.

21. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Looks great! [​IMG] <-- I even found a green and white smilie for ya. At first I thought the dark green didn't have enough contrast but now that I see it I see that it's got a kind of "carved-in" effect which is totally interesting and unique.

22. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Your car is fantastic, you are such a detailer. You must have gotten a volume discount on the flake it's bitchin.

23. Krylon32 got it right. Bitchin is the word. Nothing else seems appropriate.

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys i'm pretty pleased with it :) I didn't want to go really mad with the striping as the car is a bit in ya face anyway, The look i wanted was that the striping wasn't obvious until you get up close, Thats where Toots comes in as he will do stuff even though he thinks it might not work :)

I'm interested to know what others thought of the Lime Green ??? It looks yellow in the pics but is lime in colour, I know it would be very 60's but to me it was too loud.

25. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Lime looks Good to me. You need a contrast and it provides that..... Maybe post a full rear picture so we can appreciate the complete look and pass judgement.

26. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

NICE BLOODY BUILD ! ! ! How's my English ???

27. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

In English it would have been "bloody nice build"

28. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Ha ha ha, you guys crack me up :)

29. 2tall

2tall

Pleasure to work with you once again Steve. Looking forward to seeing the car out on the road in the sun (if we ever get any!)

30. Damn, that is beautiful!