Register now to get rid of these ads!

2010 Sacramento Autorama - SUEDE PAVILION

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Went to the show last night and had a blast. Axle, it was nice meeting you and your wife. Also, it was great to see so clubs turnout and to meet some new folks. Let me know who wins the pinup contest today. Both finalists were gorgeous.

2. Darling Danika

Darling Danika
    from sacramento

I want to thank everyone that came to cheer me on for the pinup contest! Both of the girls that had won were chosen to give out the trophies, but unfortunately I was too sick today! For the most part the show turned out ok. I was surprised to see such big politics for such a small room. It amazes me how some people can win at grand nationals and then put their car in the Suede room (Sacramento) and not get an award because someone had mentioned that they had won at the previous show. That's not ok, but on the other hand it's ok for Axel's wife to win multiple awards!?! At least when my husband and his club put on Midnight Mass I have enough courtesy NOT to enter my car or the pinup contest!!! This was a very eye opening experience to what this scene has become.

3. schimmsrodshop

schimmsrodshop

It doesn't matter how big the room, when egos and money are at stake politics will play into it. When an unchopped tri5 chevy wins top custom honors you know it's politics. When a judge refuses to judge your truck because of the cocoa beans on the floor but the other judge scored you perfectly it's politics. What about rock salt? Would he judge them? Only if they weren't going up against a bigger name. Better cars don't always win. It's he or she who promotes themselves better. F politics. Midnight Mass Rules!

4. johnnykck

johnnykck

Great show, Axle, had a good time! Will be there next year.

5. bear39

bear39

No cookies for me could not locatr the person going back east Bear

6. Desert Ratt

Desert Ratt

Axle does a fantastic job with the shows in Sacramento and Pomona. A big Thanks goes out to him for all of his hard work!!! As for everyone not being happy with the winners, etc. be sure to volunteer help out with everything next year to try to make sure that most everyone goes home happy.

7. Gruizer54

Gruizer54

+1 for Desert Ratt

8. James66g

James66g

Sorry I couldn't post sooner wanted to thank everyone involved Had a great time at the show! I really appreciate the poor boys for the award I haven't missed Midnight mass since my first one and dont intend to. Thanks again Poor Boys I think I won the one of the coolest awards and definitely the most appropriately named! It was cool being in the same building with cars I really admire and I really dug how humble most of the guys and girls I got to talk with were about their rides. It meant a lot to me to have such a good time entering a show I grew up going to with my Dad wish he could have been there he woulda loved that 40-41 buick!

Attached Files:

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I apprecaite everything both you guys did to try to find my deck lid a ride east. :cool:

I wouldn't want ya to do that. I wasn't there. The boys were looking for a certain person for me. Someone to haul a deck lid here to the Autorama coming up this weekend. Nothing worked out. I'm sure Dave in Winnemucca has got my deck lid on Craiglists by now.:rolleyes:

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Congrats on the awards bud! Loved the car when I saw it last year in Pomona.:cool:

11. Sunshine14

Sunshine14

Politics suck! end of story. i agree awards sould be evenly spread out.
    At my Young Life fundraiser car show i made sure there were no multible award winners. spread those puppies out. The more people who win something the happer they will be. My girl wanted to enter her car at my show and i let her but i made her put a do not judge sign in the window.
    only because i didnt want to make the show seem to be rigd or be about politics....But all in all i enjoyed the show and congrats Danika!

12. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

Well this looks like as good a place as any to give my annual report on the Sacramento Autorama, since some opions have already been given here. I’ll probably take some heat for them but that’s fine since they’re just my opinions and observations, with a few comments I was told from others. I was at the show everyday from move-in Wednesday night to move-out on Sunday night.

This year’s show was just ok, nothing like I would have expected for the 60th anniversary. It was obviously a much smaller show than years past. That was very evident by looking in the tower buildings and Pavillion. The vehicles there were spread out a lot more with plenty of room to spare. We were given a huge space in the pavilion and told to park any way we wanted but make it look filled up. Nobody was even parked along the outside edges, like in years pass. One of the tower buildings had nothing more than a projector showing old films.

The drive-in on Saturday even looked smaller this year too. The suede drive-in was really an embarrassment as only four extra cars showed up.

Politics? It’s always been there, but never more evident than this year. It even played a part in the suede building this year.

-Pinup girls being told they couldn’t have excessive tattoos, but when a roar of protest went up they changed their story to say they meant offensive.
    -Clubs being told they couldn’t have more than two cars from their club in the suede room yet one club had five. I think they justified it by saying they were built by the same shop and not club cars.
    -Trophy presenters being told not to give a trophy to certain vehicles because they won one at GNRS, yet the promoter’s wife wins three. Of course I guess that’s not much different than the promoter winning last year.

Of course not everything was bad, it’s always good to go to a show and meet up with old/new friends and talk cars and just BS. It’s the people that make the show and the Nor Cal hot rodders here are the best in the state. We know that for sure

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  13. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

Don't feel bad Bear, none for me either. Sorry Denise, we tried.

14. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

:confused::confused::confused:

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

Awards = politics. It's been that way since day one of car shows (or anything else with judged awards for that matter).

Otherwise it looks like it was a good time. Sorry I missed out, but Matt and I did get the modified painted instead..

16. Hey it was nice meeting you and your lady at the Crown Deluxe booth! Congrats on the trophy win, congrats on your to be wedding and baby on the way :)

17. James66g

James66g

Thanks Denise was fun meeting you in pomona at last years GNRS dont know how I missed ya at this last one!?

It was Great talking with you Badluckbetty13! Sucked I couldn't get back to the show early enough to get some pinstriping lessons! Melissa was stoked with her purchases and we can wait for next year!

18. Darling Danika

Darling Danika
    from sacramento

Just to clear this up...This isn't about me not getting a tophy! I have my car to drive and have fun with. I entered my car in the show to enjoy the experience for the first time. I was simply stating what I had observed. Besides a trophy is just one more thing for me to dust!!!

19. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Guys, i really don't appreciate assumptions or your accusations. There were absolutely NO hidden political agenda's and never will be. My wife and i work extremely hard and consider ourselves to be honest show promoters of various types of events. We both fly a straighten arrow and that is probably why we are asked to be special guest DJ's/MC's all over the world. We have been in business for many years and stand tall with a high reputation, and if i am reading all of your posts correctly and understanding this right, you are accusing me of what i spoke to Goran (48 Green Merc) about in great detail - not voting and/or telling people to disregard certain cars at our shows (specifically last weekends event) , as they might not of qualified to win an award or already be multi award winners. This is absurd to say the least . There has always been one thing that i state in response to clubs/business' questions as to what car they should chose for their personal pick. I tell people to pick their favorite car,be sure to look at the rear of the building - at cars they may of forgotten, to also look/think about "front row" cars that will probably be multiple award winners - BUT most of all, may the best car win - no matter how popular,famous,front row,rear row,etc. I then finally ask clubs/business' to not tell me who their favorite pick is - that i will call them up on stage and they can get on the mic and announce it to everyone at that time. The show was great and without incident - at least from our perspectives. Best Kustom went to the gold 61/62 Caddy. Best Hot Rod went to the 55 Chevy gasser. Best of show went to the green 39 Ford deluxe coupe. Those were our personal picks and again, there were no hidden agenda's. Hope you all understand this .

We are just outsiders in the capitol city asked to organize a small building of cars,great music, with vendors and a nice little award ceremony. We have done this to the best of our abilities and hope the majority are pleased. We've been doing this long enough to know that not everyone can be 100% happy. As far as Pin Up contests - they are held in the buildings i manage but are out of my say and/or control. As far as the outside Suede is concerned, I too scratch my head at the numbers (or lack of) but know that a handful were still directed to park in the general classic car Drive In part of the event. Still though, i thought by all the PM's, emails, and posts on here, that we would of had at least 30-40 cars.

I have been a member of the Hamb since the late 90's and believe to be the 13th member on here. Because of this great board I have had the pleaser to meet and become friends with folks from all over the globe. My name speaks for itself , and as Rodney King once said..."Can't we all just get along".

I respect you all,
    Axle

20. Hunter Bender

Hunter Bender

just wanted to say thanks axle for a good time. there's flaws with every show.....even midnight mass. there is always politics with everything and thats not going to change. i won a award last year at a street rod show for best paint and they gave it to me in private. i took it home and i'm still proud of it. i didn't complain about it. in fact i think it's kind of a slap in the face to all the people who actually won awards to complain. i can't speak for everyone, but i have serious time, money and effort in my car as well as everyone else does. i didn't paint it, but i did everything else. so for people to say the awards we're rigged really sucks...especialy to those of us that build our cars......just my two cents.
    again...thank you axle and alex gambino for the two awards. i hope we really deserved them and im not apart of the "politics"...

hunter

21. studhud

studhud

Hey Axle
    You open to constructive advice-not criticism how about doin one more trophy? Or do "best of show" as participant pic. Give each participant a ballot to cast-one vote for the car of their choice no politics-no drama just numbers! The heat would be off you and everyone would have a say.
    Just my 2 cents
    Dave Hitch

22. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thats a great idea for the "Best of Show" trophy Dave. Thanks very much.

23. JUSTJAY

JUSTJAY
    from LEFT COAST

good guys look out hear we come, dam sh** has changed ......

ill bet the pant shitter street rod guys are laughing there ass's off now looking at what has become ........ Umm just what ive been watching for the last 13 years,

24. lazyv8

lazyv8

I just want to extend a big thank you to Axle and Celeste for putting on a great show, despite what the local sac. club says.. you cant please everyone all the time but you did make a larger percent have a good time rather than bad. they were all great cars!!
    i just hope we can do it again next year! it was very nice to see a larger percent of quality cars in the suede room than your typical rat trapz!, nice stuff like all of mastersons period 50s stuff..and how about that bare hudson??? what a nice example of craftsmanship. thats what i enjoy seeing. and as for celestes car getting two awards, we gave her one and it was a majority vote in our club to give it to her 54 vic. and we had no idea someone else was giving it one also. the car well deserved it! !

25. 51shoebox

51shoebox
    from rialto

Our club did not get the chance to attend the suede pavillion. So I can't touch on anything that went on there. For myself and my other club members. Alex and his wife Celeste have put on some great shows. I give them much respect for that.For the issues on the awards I think it's all B.S. Everyone who puts there rides in these type of events should be awarded for the work they do on their rides, But thats hard to give everyone an award.We go to these shows to see other rides wether there good or bad. Appreciate what they did to it, have a good time drink beer meet other car clubs.Keep up the good works you are doing Alex. SEE YOU GUYS IN VEGAS BABY VIVA LOS KING OF KNIGHTS AKA ( K.OK.S. )

26. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

I wasn't in this years show and barely took a quick run through so my comments are purely an observation of shows in general and not a direct attack at this years show. If my comments fit the situation than well..... maybe people can take note.

I don't think it should be a surprise to have people unhappy that a promoters own car winning awards? I have never been to a club run show where the members cars are elegible to win. Its a conflict of interest. People are naturally going to be upset and it doesn't reflect well on the promoter. If you are closely associated with the promoter, i.e. club/pack/friend/spouse its going to look bad if the majority of the trophies go to your cronies. However innocent it may be, its no surprise if people question it. Everyone is into cars for their own reasons, whatever it may be a little recognition makes everyone feel good. That being said a small show (suede room) should give people an opportunity to win even though their car may not be able to compete in a large venue such as midnight mass or billet proof.

Again just an opinion of shows in general I have no opinion of this years autorama suede room. But if there is an issue talk straight and let people know. Give an opportunity for clarification or improvement.

I unfortunately didn't get my paperwork in on time, so I was not in the show. I would have put my show in the normal autorama but could not get a single call back through phone email or otherwise. The recording said the show was all full. To bad since the show (autorama as a whole) had such a low turnout of cars. Again my fault for not getting my paperwork in on time.

One interesting note. The hell with awards. I have received a couple and really enjoy them and appreciate them however. At this years midnight mass by the time the trophies were announced the majority of the cars/people were on their way out. This says alot. Most of the people did not expect to win or cared enough to stick around they were happy to be there party hang out and head home. Trophies? what trophies

Think about the shows you go to. If they all did away with trophies how many would be affected? The ones that wouldn't be affected at all.... those are the shows I like.

27. johnnykck

johnnykck

Alright, I've been reading a lot about "politics" on here and I say Bulls**t!!!
    I gave out two awards, one from my shop and one from my club, when I spoke to Axle and signed in on thursday for the awards he never mentioned any thing about who he would prefer to win or not to win! Anybody who says any thing else is a liar!
    I gave my shop award to the copper '33 pick up for best hotrod and the club award went to the burgundy '40 ford coupe, both cars were chosen because they represent traditional hotrodding very well and both cars are something that I would love to see in my garage no other reason! At the end of the show on sunday night Axle asked me why I chose the cars that I did and I told him because they are both cars that I would like to have and he said that's the best way to pick a car for an award and that is the way he picks out cars for awards as well. I have been asked to "sponsor" awards for other shows where I was not allowed to pick the car my self, but the award would have to go to the car that the promoter chose, I always said no thanks to a deal like that and I would have told Axle the same thing if that would have been the case at his show in the Suede pavilion.
    One thing I did notice at this show compared to some other shows in the Sacramento area was the lack of drunken idiots running around, the lack of posers and that there were a lot less Rat Rods at this show.
    To many people believe that "Suede show" means "Rat Rod show" but I am glad that that is not the case and I thank Axle for putting on a great show and hope he doesn't let the haters discourage him from doing it again next year.

28. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

I cant believe people are upset at who gets an award and who doesnt. I thought this only happens in the street rod crowd. I have known Axle for awile now and he is one of the most stand up honest guys I know. I cant believe some people are saying there is a hidden agenda. If you didntr win an award so be it. Didnt you build your car in the way you like it not to win awards. If you built it to win awards then start building beige fiberglass 32s with 20 inch wheels and enter them in the riddler and GNRS.
    Congrats to Celeste for winning 2 awards. The car definately deserves it. It is built correctly and not done over the top or in a ratty style. Its pretty amazing that Celeste won a trophy at the Suede Palace and Nobody complained. All I heard was congrats from everybody. The club I belonged to handed out an award at the Suede Palace this year and previous years. No one time the entire weekend or in previous years have we been asked to over look someones car. That is completely absurd to even imply that Axle would say something like that.
    Axle you put on some great shows and hope you continue to do it. You cant make everyone happy no matter how hard you try. See you in Vegas soon.

29. JUSTJAY

JUSTJAY
    from LEFT COAST

Bash fest 2010 socal vs norcal "realy"
    this is so stupied i rember when we started showing at the autorama 13 years ago and there was no suede room its was just about the autorama like it should be, and we just did club displays and had a good time. Remember this most of the pant shitter hotrod guys dont know the difference between a ""rat trap" or 30thousand dollar flat painted custom, or they think it's a lowrider / ratrod

30. Rexmortis

Rexmortis

[​IMG]

Would my stude be acceptable for next year? I missed this year...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.