Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 26t Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, May 22, 2008.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Louie not at the moment i'm afraid, I'm very busy on customers cars but hope to make a good start after xmas, thanks for looking.

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

A few people have asked how i did the valve covers, most people will know but here it is for those that didn't know.

Firstly i had the covers media blasted and then chromed, only the highlighted area's were polished.

Then i lightly scuffed the chrome up where they would be painted.

Then 2 coats of Epoxy primer were sprayed on and allowed to flash off for 10mins, then i carefully used a thinners rag to wipe away the primer from the highlighted area's and allowed the epoxy to dry.

Then i sprayed on the copper base colour and again wiped off the highlighted area's and allowed the base coats to dry for 30mins (basecoat dries quick)

Then 2 coats of copper flake were applied and again the highlighted area's were wiped with a clean thinners rag.

Finally 3 clearcoats went on with again the highlights wiped between each coat. It takes a while but i think the time invested is worth the results.

The same process was used on my 32 rocker covers and brake drums, These parts were aluminium so were just polished first.

Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brEad and volvobrynk like this.
  3. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

Incredible workmanship!

4. Captain Carson

Captain Carson
    from N.Z

I loved your rocket 32 build thread - cant wait to see more of the T build progress and will be following it. Nice one!

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks i will try and not let you down :)

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1; COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Well made a bit of headway but its taking longer than i thought :( Its a real pain working with polished stainless as even your fingers leave marks if your not careful and after each stage it needs to be repolished :(

Well i got the body mounts all in the frame while its not welded together as its easier to handle, they go right through the frame rails and are welded top & plug welded at the bottom. They are tapped 10mm x 1.25

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the rear x member made up with 3 positions for rear coilovers for adjustability.
    This was the worse bit of stainless i've had so far, real grainy and a pig to polish. Maybe i should of used round tube as that always seems to have a really good finish which means less polishing :)
    Its a bolt in jobbie so end caps will be welded on when in the jig.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The chassis is now on the jig ready to be welded so hopefully some more interesting pics next couple of days.

I bought a new TIG torch as welding on the chassis is difficult with the pedal, this one has a roller button on the torch for varying the current, I need to practise for a couple of days to get used to it but so far its very good, another useful feature is it has a flexible head which saves bending your wrist for those awkward bits.

[​IMG]

I'm using a 55 f100 master cylinder that will be chromed, I didn't like the black plastic cap it came with and was wondering what to do with it when steve (rustycoupe) produced this aircraft cap, i had to chuck it in the lathe and remove the theaded portion but now fits a treat, thanks Stevie.
    It will get polished to take off the billet look later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  7. very nice. i have a stainless welder friend who also builds cool shit. you guys should be jewelers.

8. Steve - too nice for words.

Do you have to set the bar so high??? It really is depressing for us lesser mortals.

Still, I'm firing up the 347 Pontiac on Saturday morning so that should cheer me up.

9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Langy, in the top photo there is a gauge mounted in the firewall could you tell me its purpose and secondly I note this car is LHD I thought cars in the UK were RHD?

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Ha ha ha, it might be too high for me Geoff :)

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its a fuel pressure gauge fifty, most of the rods in the UK are LHD, Its because there is a better selling market in europe usually, I do all mine LHD because its an american hobby and i like LHD, who am i to change it.

12. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

So, no problem licensing a LHD hot rod imported in the UK?
    But also no problem building one localy LHD and registering it?

Just curious how the authorities view it.

Obviously logical but I am surprised it sounds so easy!

13. doctorZ

doctorZ

OMG! it looks amazing, but that's a lot to keep shiny!

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

There are lots of LHD cars in the UK, importing is not a big problem really, just a process of doing paperwork

15. Incredible work, sir!

Keep the updates coming, as I have been very interested in the outcome for some time now!

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the encourement, I might need it on this one :)

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well took a day off today as I needed a hand with the frame and my good mate Des (Tiki Des) came over to help, He was quickly dispatched on polishing duty while i welded some bits up.
    The chassis is made in 2 halves as it needs repolishing after each bout of welding with a hand held polisher.

[​IMG]

Another good mate Ian (Bigbossman) got me some low tack vinyl stuff to protect the polished surface as its very easy to mark :( so the rails were covered up.

[​IMG]

The postman came this morning with some bits i've been waiting for, They are the fishplates for the inside and outside of the kick up and also the firewall joint in the main side rails, The fit a treat but need polishing before being welded in place. thanks Paul.

Kickup fishplates

[​IMG]

Firewall joint fishplates

[​IMG]

The main rear section rails are now fully welded so needed to add the rear crossmember to tie them together, also added a kickup spreader and weld in some gussets I had laser cut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Ooooohhhh shiny!

19. raaf

raaf

this may be the hamb's first "white glove" build. this car is gonna be a jewel.

20. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Amazing work, awesome!

21. Nice one Steve, and you think I have too much to polish!....

Its going to be one mad car!

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yeah I know Dave stupid really considering I don't like polishing, Will have to send Sue down the gym to build up her muscles :D

23. It's about time you blokes did something, I swear you are fuckin lazy, us Yanks would be finished already.:rolleyes: Of course I'm kidding, awesome work, I can't wait to see this one finished!<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Ha ha ha

25. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

Damn! Stainless rails?? I'm totally digging those gussets. Subscribed.

26. narducci

narducci

Beautiful work!

27. Steve,

Your 26 T Project

is the

:Dlympic Gold Standard!

28. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

sucking up will get you everywhere :cool: :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Your work is superior on BOTH cars. The attention to detail is mindbogglingling.

30. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger
    from Japan

that frame is gorgeous! Great work!