Register now to get rid of these ads!

History big willies 69 dodge daytona

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cudacorey, Feb 17, 2010.

1. cudacorey

cudacorey
    from ogilvie mn

looking for old magizines with this car in it, big willie robbinson III , duke and dutches daytona, he was a famous steet racer out in LA , started street racers international, any old photos of this car or magizines id be interested in .

e-mail [email protected]

Attached Files:

2. resinjeff

resinjeff
    from detroit

i best save these pics fast..i plan on building a model of big willies daytona.

3. Shagrat

Shagrat

Interesting car....but BAD first post.

4. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I bet your looking for magazines with "big willies" HAHA your going to get flamed worse than that !!!:D

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

6. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

There are a couple really good threads on him. Nice to see the car has survived

7. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Thank god the HAMB POLICE is here! clown.

8. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I met Big Willie at the Nassau Coliseum somewhere between 1973-1975 when we had the Opel in the car show. he was getting members for his street racing org, I joined nothing
    nothing ever really came of it but he had two cars at the time his and his wifes I believeher name was Tomeka really nice guy but he was big he had his cars in the shw and was telling war stories about west coast race scene fond memories

9. Who's gonna say it.........

waiting......

waiting......

waiting.....

aw hell...... JOE DIRT! :eek: :D

Neat car---saw it at HRR-BG few years ago--very cool, with history. :cool:Believe it used to belong to a HAMBer....I forget who :eek: Wondered where it ended up.

10. the pictures you have are not of big willies race car, but rather his tow car. I know that sounds goofy, but I read several magazine articles stating that. He did have matching hemi powered daytonas for himself and his wife. onw was red, and the other was green, both with radiased wheel wells in the back. The storie I hear is the red one was acid dipped to many times, and the green one was wrecked.
    I think the car above is owned by one of the members here, but I cant remember his name. good luck with the serch.

11. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

12. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

13. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

I was wondering if that is the same car they used on Joe Dirt...Anybody know?

14. Da Injun

Da Injun

Hell No it is not the same car.....I talked to the dude (some L.A. Street Racer as I recall) who brought the car to Bowling Green a few years back, and he mentioned more than a few goofs referencing Joe Dirt....he was pretty aggravated by it.....but damn if I can remember the guys name who brought it out.....

I remember one thing that he mentioned ....that when they took it out of Big Willies place, the name on the quarter panel needed to be "blanked out".

15. Zooker

Zooker

My introduction to Big Willie and the Street Racers was during the opening scene in Two Lane Black Top… I remember thinking to myself “what is a black bike club doing running an illegal dragstrip?”:)ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

I found this article on the green Daytona and it did not appear to have the rear wheel wells radiused (at the time of the article).<O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>

Attached Files:

16. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

There was an article on this guy and his Daytona Charger in the Mopars Collector Guide magazine a few years ago. Might be able to search their website?;)

17. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Local guy here in Central Ky had the car and sold it a year or so ago , brought big bucks!! $200K + if I remember correctly.

18. Member an1951 sent me these pictures he shot of big willie and company, to post for him.

Attached Files:

19. hey
    from paperdog

i found this right away ????
    http://www.carpictures.com/vehicle/06LHD271205586.html

and more history is at your fingertips just search Big Willie , Tomika..69 daytona

sorry for any heat you recieve on this as i sent ya here (Remember me .. from my visit ) but when mentioning this new stuff ...remember its off topic .. OT so add in the title of your post will CALM THE MEANIEs A LITTLE ..

i have done some searches on line and will try to gather more info for ya i will stop by soon instant message me

20. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

Pretty sure he made an appearance in Two Lane Blacktop. In the beginning of the movie, they show one of his Daytonas, and or him flagging them...

21. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Did you buy it from Jr. F.? He is alittle bit of a street racer himself;)

22. you need to talk to Groucho

23. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Don't laugh, but I used to own the 15x10 Magnesium Americans on the back of Big Willie's Daytona. I bought them from a guy in Valdosta, Georgia who bought them from Willie hisself. Even had the original boxes with his LA address. I kept them a few years then sold them on ebay to come up with cash to finish a project.

24. Hey, the man and the car represent street racing (and drag racing) at its finest in the LA Basin in the late '60s - early '70s. It's a proper topic for this forum. WTF is wrong with it???

25. jeepfink

jeepfink
    from So Cal

Made my night to see Big Willie's Cars! Just sitting here smiling.
    We raced with Street Racers in the mid '70s, met up on Orangethorpe and raced at Nabisco or any # of other places.Ate at Spires and Norms !
    These were the days before the raceway out on Terminal Island.
    I feel like a geezer but a really glad to have been there and done that one!

26. cammer427

cammer427
    from Canada

Gary French?

27. cammer427

cammer427
    from Canada

Strange... why would he care if his name was still on the side of the car when it left, I wonder? It's not like the car's supposed to be in hiding...

28. Da Injun

Da Injun

I do not recall the specifics, but it was a big deal when it left Big Willies property. I really wish I could remember the guy who I talked to in Bowling Green....as I recall he was a member of the Street Racers of L.A. Even though this was one of the newer cars at the Hot Rod Reunion, I was really impressed to see this car so I talked with him for a while, but since I also drank a few that night, a great deal of specifics had been lost.

BTW...The East Coast Street Racing group thread I have been following for a while....awesome!!

29. cammer427

cammer427
    from Canada

Injun, would the guys' name have been Gary French? I believe he was the one who bought the Dutchess from Willie, had the car at Bowling Green (and then sold it to a fellow named Don-something)...

30. Hey slayer, my comp. says that your zip file is invalid or corupted. You can't just post the pic?