Register now to get rid of these ads!

Man-a-fre intake????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WILTBILT, Feb 21, 2010.

1. WILTBILT

WILTBILT
    from VIRGINIA

Is this a real or repop man-a fre sbc intake any idea what year?

MAN A FRE.jpg

2. moses

moses

better pics might help of the whole mabifold ....jeffrey

3. R Pope

R Pope

Can't see why anybody would repop 'em, they were no good when they were new!
    You could run four throttle bodies on one, though. That'd look cool!

4. T-Roy

T-Roy

Was just going to post that auction link...

Would still like to see a better pic of the manifold in question.

5. WILTBILT

WILTBILT
    from VIRGINIA

6. Muttley

Muttley

For something thats supposedly "very rare" I sure see a lot of them for sale.

7. WILTBILT

WILTBILT
    from VIRGINIA

Not much luck with that.....so what is a fair price for a real man a fre 4x2 intake for a sbc bare no linkage or carbs in decent shape ....is $950 FAIR

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I would say $950 is pretty fair since they all seem to be going for over $2000 with some carbs on them.

9. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,I ran one in the '60's ,,when it was on,,it was great ! ,,but the selenoids back then weren't the greatest ,,made in Japan ,,not China like t'Day's ,,with todays injection nozzles and bettere selenoids ,,it would be a killer street set-up ,,
    [​IMG]

10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the one in the ebay link looks like a 348/409 manifold to me
    maybe just an illusion but it looks too long and narrow for an sbc

for what it's worth, my BBC manifold had the large block letters and I don't remember a pattent # on it?

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

12. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>>,Is this the one he bought ??? it just sold for $900 on eBay ,,
    [​IMG]

13. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,The last Man-A-Fre i saw go on eBay a year or so ago went for over $2000 bucks ,,shoot,,when i went to a 396 BB ,,i sold mine in '67 for $250 ,,,whew,,,!!! who knew back then eh ???

14. WILTBILT

WILTBILT
    from VIRGINIA

what iam trying to figure out is how to tell a original from a repop one.....i think an original has only the block letters across the center and no other words under it

15. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,?????.i don't know fer sure ,,but I didn't think ANYONE was re-poppin' those ,,they didn't sell very good back when ,,,don't think it would be werthwhile to make fakes now ,,I could be wrong ,,but i think the lettering changed from the early years ,,when they accepted the Stomberg 97's to the later years to accept the RockChester 2GC's,,and / or from the Small Block models to the Big Block models ,,don't think they ever made a 348/409 model ,,they came out with these intakes after the "W" block was dead n gone to be boat anchors ,,

16. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,Can you post a pic of the whole intake ?//Might be able to tell more from that ,,,

17. doctorZ

doctorZ

i don't think anybody repopped them because they're such a pain to run. the intakes themselves are expensive, but not that hard to find. the really hard parts are the center cast fuel block and original linkage.

18. jtille

jtille

19. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

There really not a pain to run,and they do work very well.Noticed the bottom core plugs arent in the ebay one.

20. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

Far as I know, these guys have never re-produced a single manifold.
    They're waiting to see how much interest they can drum up and that's been going on for a couple years. Some of the confusion may be due to early and late man-a-fre differences. One had the man-a-fre Atlanta on it and the other did not.

21. slobroy

slobroy

I saw a n.o.s. one at moltry ga. a few weeks ago. He had it since the sixties. Wanted 2000 for it. Nice looking piece.

22. Toner283

Toner283

The one in that ebay link is rare because it is from Milners roadster. really, it says so in the ebay ad. and everybody knows that everything on the internet is true.:D

23. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

Ok i am sure ther are many people that know more abought man a fre manifolds than me. but here is a run down on what i know. man a fre started out in Alanta GA, there first run of manifolds had. man a fre and Alanta GA. patten pending in a square in the center of manifold. also in the frist run on the front water cross over it said. fireing order 18436572. but the fire fell out of the sand cast mold so it said (ing order 18436572). this was corected on second run. Then man a fre moved to L.A. area and a third run was made thats when they went to the larger block MAN A FRE across the center of the manifold. i have owned one calif. and one alanta manifold. I dont like the castings. Sureley not as good as other after market manifold castings. Dos'e any one know if man a fre did there owen castings or farmed that operation out? thanks jim

24. alldayracing

alldayracing
    from delaware

ha haha wilt built really started something here,,i own 2 complete sets,,thats mine he is showing dude, its a man-a-fre,period,,and it 1500 bucks,fr sbc,my cali bbc is 3500,,,wish you had t uh??,, don see alot of them either,,,pfffttt..lol...

25. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

how do you pronounce it....old post for sure