Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 Chevy & Nova rear question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfire, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Before I begin, I have searched and cannot find the answer to my question, so I figure someone out there will be able to give the answer I am seeking. I just picked up a 10 bolt rear out of a 73 Nova for my 52 Chevy Sedan project. It has the multi leaf rear spring pads on it. My question is why does everyone cut these off and replace them? From what I have read it is the correct width and will bolt in with only drilling the pad for the centering pin. I plan on running a rear leaf spring kit if that matters. Also will a 15x8 wheel with 3.5" fit the rear of my car? Thanks in advance.

2. bdr1

bdr1

originally a Tourque Tube Car then?

3. Yes it was originally a tourque tube car. The tourque tube is still in the car. Im upgrading to a 350/350 combo and the Nova 10 bolt. I just want to know if there is a need to cut off the multi leaf perches and install regular ones.

4. ...I don't think the spring pads on the rearend line up with the stock leaf springs; also the leafs aren't the same width. If you're going with another rear spring set-up; you mite be able to get it to work; depending on how you mount the spring hangers; but the pinion angle will probly not be correct.
    ...it's usually just a lot easier to make new spring pad/axle saddles and then set the pinion angle and weld em.

what springs are you planning on using?

..I doubt you'll fit an 8 inch rim in there without some fender lip or wheelwell surgery. 7 inchers work real well tho.

5. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

Both of these responses are correct. I have done this swap and the pads were not in correct position. You will also need to adjust your pinion angle. If you buy a leaf spring kit make sure it's the wider leaf springs, the stock width is too narrow for standard perches, U bolts ect.

6. Thats what I needed to know. Thanks alot fellas!

7. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

I put one of these in a 51 chevy the spring perch's have to be moved one inch inboard . Even used the nova springs.