Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model As and Y blocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LVHotRodder, Sep 6, 2009.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

Love this thread! McTim64 is an inspiration for sure... I'm hoping I can have him do up my 292 right!

I'm gathering parts now... Weiand 3x2, ECZ-G heads to a toploader 4 spd... All sitting between '32 rails and topped off with a '30 A coupe.

No mock up pics as of now... work has stalled some on the coupe since I'm the only one occupied and we've got bills for two.

2. here are some pictures of the fenders just clamped on. i am looking for a reversed eye spring for the front i want to drop it down a little bit more.

Attached Files:

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

Just reverse your main on your own. There are a few threads in the tech archives. I've done it a couple times with good results.

4. Clutched

Clutched

5. here are some pictures of just mocking up fenders. Do you think i should go lower in the rear? the front is comming down one more inch or 2.

Attached Files:

6. here were just some more

Attached Files:

7. A Rodder

A Rodder

don't lower the back if you are wanting to run slicks with fenders. My sedan has 235 75 15 coker white walls and with a couple kids in the back the body leans enough that those tires rub occasionally. And the side wall stick out about 1/2 inch already. I just bought some hurst slicks last saturday for my 33 fenderless pu and if there was any chance I would have bought some for the A as well. Even the 7 inch wide ones I think would rub because they are so squared off. My .02 cents. I love Y blocks. Have one in mt 59 edsel. Short glass packs and you have the best sounding exhaust, yes even over a flatty

8. btt lets see some more pictures

9. You guys are making me want to dig my 292 out, keep the picks coming, awesome stuff.

Brad

10. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I know there's no engine shots, but trust me, my Dad's coupe had a 312 Police Interceptor in it when this pic was taken
    [​IMG]

11. Well I pulled the Y block out from the depths today. Its stuck tight, going to get some kerosene tomorrow and fill her up, maybe by spring it will loosen up a little. I forgot how heavy it is with the trans on it.

Brad

12. freebird101

freebird101

Y-blocks and A's were built for each other like Fluff and Peanut Butter:D

13. aussiebill

aussiebill
    from Australia

I sat my 30 coupe on 32 rails and reversed the firewall, this gave about 5" more clearance and ran stock wpump, i dont know of shorter ones! regards bill.

Attached Files:

14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Use trans fluid !

RetroJim

15. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Here are some other great places for Y block parts & information .

John Mummert --ford-yblocks.com
    y-blocks forever
    Also Y Block magazine is also a great one to get .
    You can Goggle for their email address .

Also PM , Tim at , McToms64 and he will help you out too . great guy too ! There is also a Y Block group here too .

RetroJim

16. btt great posts!

17. Spooky

Spooky

18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

This photo is of Steve and I[standing] in early 1965 just finshing up another mod to his 292 Y-block in his "A",:cool:note our hightech Garage.

19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

OK here is pic,for above.

Attached Files:

20. On my stuck Y i used a combo of diesel and "Knock r Loose" penetrating lubricant.. two days of soak and she was free as a hippie.. and you bet it's heavy.. a fully dressed 292 and a T-98 was stressing my cherry picker on the half-ton setting..

21. The stock 34 dash fits perfectly in the model a. the width is the same! I also added the thunder bird wheel let me know what ya think!

Attached Files:

22. Low Fat 38

Low Fat 38
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norton,Ma

LVHotRodder, What is the front engine mount? Is it Available somewhere? Do you have any plans on beefing up the frame. I have a Model A frame and need ideas.
    Cool looking dash, Glove Box will come in handy.

23. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Attached Files:

24. The front motor mounts are poppin up on eBay and I've seen a few on the hamb but you need a truck timing cover or else you will have to put sleeves over the bolts I am not boxing my frame with a 39 trans and stock modal a rear.